All reviewshonesty barbrigadiers barfree punchveranda roomsorbetcolonial styleother guestseach eveningcontinental breakfasthotel restaurantbarramundismall kitchenetteacross the roadthe general managerceiling fanrelaxing breaklovely room
Reviewed 5 January 2018

My partner and I stayed at the Reef House using the 3-Night Package Deal which cost $1554 in total. This was to include a spa voucher and a dinner voucher for two, a continental breakfast daily, access to the Brigadier Thompson bar where canapés and punch was served at 5pm, sorbet by the pool and complimentary use of bicycles. With the exception of the spa and dinner vouchers, my understanding is that the extra services are extended to all Reef House guests, regardless of what package is chosen.

When we arrived we were met by the lovely concierge, Jackie, who gave us the quick run-down of where everything was. Unfortunately, this is where the good service ends.

The room was nice, pretty average. Paid for a king-size bed, but had the king-size configuration of two singles pushed together - so one of us ended up sleeping in the crack of this 'configuration'. Our air-conditioner would only work intermittently and leaked, and our fridge was broken. So the complimentary bottle of champagne we received was warm when we decided to open it (on the last night - or would have brought it up earlier!)

The Reef House restaurant is not worth the visit. Food is almost as bad as the service, which was lacklustre, rushed and blasé. We went to the front desk to change our dinner reservation back an hour, but was ignored for quite some time (even after the General Manager made eye contact with me). The same man then reluctantly asked what we wanted, but seemed to pay us off when we asked to change the time. Unsurprisingly, when we arrived for dinner, they had forgotten to change the time, and had the nerve to insinuate that we were an hour late.

The complimentary canapés were average at best. although the punch was quite nice. The best part of our stay was the spa experience, and the pool area is good as well. Upon check-out, despite not being asked how my stay was - I told the concierge about these issues. No known further action was taken by management. I still maintain that overall the visit was nice - just not '$500 a night' nice. I can deal with old buildings and bad air-con, but I can't stand poor service.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kaiya C
Wayne H, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Dear Kaiya C,
Thank you very much for staying with us at the Reef House in Palm Cove. We are very sorry to read your review and to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our team takes a lot of pride to ensure everybody enjoys their stay and once again we are sorry you left the Reef House feeling this way. Please allow me to re assure you that everybody staying with us has the same entitlements regardless of how we received the booking. The Reef House and our style of service is reflective of our Colonial Style beach house and boutique luxury we are strive to achieve.
Kaiya C, I will share your review with our team so everybody is aware of your feedback. We believe feedback is a gift and I am confident we can improve from what you have shared.
At the Reef House we also encourage our guests to provide us with instant feedback so we are given the opportunity to fix any problems that may arise during the stay. Each and every guest is given my personal mobile number and email address to be used in times of need. I would ask you to please give the hotel to opportunity to fix any problems on the spot, this will likely prevent you ever leaving a hotel dissatisfied again. We should have reacted to your complaints on check out and resolved them for you and I am sorry we did not do this, I would also like to say sorry if I did make eye contact with you and made a mistake with your restaurant reservation.
Thank you again Kaiya C, we appreciate your feedback and grateful for the opportunity to respond.

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Location is great for Palm Cove.
Room was clean and good overall and pool area ok.
We visited the spa and this was a great experience overall.
Restaurant for lunch was disappointing to say the least as the service was poor to non existent, certainly not M Gallery standard in any way.
We ate twice at NuNu further down the beach and this was exceptional as were other restaurants in the area.
Booking a tour was also a bit of a mission as no one seemed interested in assisting aside from one guy.
Could be an amazing hotel but service definitely needs an improvement.
Palm Cove is lovely overall, very quiet and pretty much shut by 10pm but great for a low key stay.
Would we return to Reef House? Not sure

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WhereisScott
Wayne H, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

Dear WhereisScott,
Thank you very much for staying with us and posting your review. We certainly wish you had not left the Reef House disappointed, please allow me to re assure you we do strive to ensure every guest leaves the Reef House very happy willing to return. I will make sure that our team is aware of your concerns to we can do our best to prevent them from happening again. We do offer a pre-arrival service and do make contact with every guest (we have contact details for) and offer our concierge service, Karla has great knowledge of the local area and can recommend the perfect experience for couple or families.
Thank you again WhereisScott, we do appreciate your feedback and apologise you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

From the moment my Wife & I arrived we had a perfect hotel experience. From the Room Selection the decor and Facilities, all was perfection. Although Palm Cove has lots of places to eat, we kept coming back to the Reef House for fine dining

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a better room you wont be disappointed
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chrissS3079YC
Wayne H, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2017

Dear chrissS3079YC,
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Reef House while visiting Tropical North Queensland. It is certainly great to know that you really enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure Chef Ashe is aware of your review and his delicious menu kept you coming back to our restaurant for more and more. Thank you again chrissS3079YC, we really appreciate your decision to stay with us.
Wishing you all the best this festive season,

Reviewed 20 December 2017

This hotel is wonderful. Best location, overlooking the water. The restaurant opens up to the street which is right on the water, providing a great setting for breakfast or dinner. Our room was great! Large 4 poster bed, great linens, and an expansive breakfast. Not sure of the price, since it was part of our tour.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor with a view of the water
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Wayne H, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Dear Moxie N,
Thank you very much for your kind review on Trip Advisor !
It is great to know you had an amazing stay with us and I trust your Australian holiday was just as good. Tropical North Queensland and Palm Cove is certainly an amazing location and considering some of the other great destinations you have traveled to in recent weeks your review is very well received.
Please travel safe over the festive season and thank you once again for your kind review.

Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

Having stayed in Port Douglas several times but never Palm Cove, I instantly fell in love with how calm and beautiful the town was. The Reef House is in the Perfect location, facing opposite the beach right in the middle of the Main Street.
The overall vibe at the hotel was amazing, and the gardens are maintained beautifully. Most of the staff are very friendly and helpful which makes for a pleasant stay also.
There are a couple of areas that the resort could improve on, one being a consistent standard of service. We were told free sorbet would be served by the pool each afternoon, and were disappointed when this didn’t happen on our first day. When we asked about it, we were told we would have to ask for it at the bar the next day if we wanted it.
The rooms, whilst beautifully decorated, desperately need updating. We found mold in several places in the room, and a fresh coat of paint would make the world of difference.
It’s these little things that if worked on, could make this place spectacular.

Stayed: November 2017
1  Thank jfa145

Dear jfa145,
Thanks so much for your Trip Adisor review about your stay at the Reef House. We are so pleased to know you enjoyed your little escape away to Palm Cove on your busy holiday schedule schedule. Our Colonial Style Beach house is so unique and once again we are so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay.
Your constructive feedback is also very much appreciated and I will make sure it is shared with our team. We do serve sorbet each day by the pool and offer guests at about 3 pm each day, if anybody has missed the service we are more than happy to offer at any time during the day.
Please take care and have an amazing Christmas and new Year,