All reviews electric bbq minute walk the ground floor spa bath bedroom apartment the kitchen great apartment water view main bedroom quiet location lounge room shingley beach these apartments living area definitely stay here again easy walk a great place to stay
Reviewed 5 September 2016 via mobile

My partner & I booked an apartment at Marina Shores apartments for my birthday weekend get away to Airlie Beach. We booked through amoma.com & got a $900 room for only $400. We thought 'bargain!'. They talked it up significantly saying 'spa in room & ocean views' but when we got there it had looked like the place had been trashed in previous stays. There was no ocean view like the map said, & the spa was a bath with broken jets. There was paint missing off walls and the bathroom was badly designed. We flooded the place with every shower due to poor drainage & design of the shower. There was mould everywhere in the bathroom & you just wouldn't expect that from a 5 star apartment. The aircon filters were filthy & they only offer you a thin blanket to put on your bed to try keep you warm, so we literally froze all weekend even without the aircon on. The couch was full of stains (God knows what from :/). The only good thing about the place was the free wifi & Foxtel channel. I was disappointed that we didn't get what we were told we would get. Other than that, my birthday weekend was incredible. Highly recommend visiting Airlie beach & doing an island cruise if you're in the area. Absolutely magical!

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Jeff A, General Manager at at Marina Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2016

Dear Jess T,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry it would appear you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay at Marina Shores.

The team and I have reviewed bookings over the past weeks however we have not been able to locate a booking under Jess T, we would very much welcome an opportunity to discuss your feedback with you.

Without being able to confirm which room type you booked, it is somewhat difficult to respond in regards to the room allocation, we have two distinct room type views available, that being Garden view and Marina/Ocean view. Given you have advised you booked a room for $400 for the weekend, this would indicate you had booked a 1 Bedroom Spa Apartment with Garden view as typically these rooms are $225 per night so approx $450 for the weekend, in contrast our 1 Bedroom Spa Apartment with Ocean views are $275 per night so approx $550 for the weekend. If we were to assume you had booked a Garden view, then the view is certainly that of the gardens, whilst our hotel enjoys a stunning waterfront location, not all rooms have a view of the water, some do have lovely views of the gardens. All rooms have a spa bath in the bathroom as advertised.

I am surprised by the feedback in regards to the quality of the room, certainly we pride ourselves in the highest quality, we have been very grateful for numerous reviews on TripAdvisor in regards to this aspect, our housekeeping team report any maintenance item to our in house maintenance team which is then dealt with immediately, the housekeeping supervisor then checks the room before every guests arrives.

In regards to the heating, the air conditioning is reverse cycle in that it heats and cools, we do provide a light summer blanket as the average temperature in the Whitsundays does has not warrant heavy winter blankets, certainly we appreciate your feedback and will purchase a heavier blanket should future guests require one.

I am pleased you enjoyed your birthday weekend and would like to take this opportunity to wish you a happy belated birthday. As mentioned earlier we would welcome an opportunity to discuss with you direct, look into your reservation and room allocation etc please do not hesitate to contact stay@marinashores.com.au

Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

One couple and a couple with two kids stayed one week. 27th Aug to 3rd Sept.
Nice apartment, clean and spacious. Large balcony. We stayed in room 212.
I expected a view of the Marina looking out the main windows but the view was around the corner of the balcony. This was a bit of a let down. Although once sitting out on the balcony the view was pleasant even though there were a few trees in the way but I would have been happier in a higher floor with frontal ocean views. I had asked for this but perhaps there was nothing available. It seems that in asking for a large balcony it was made a priority over the view, because I noticed there were many apartments facing the ocean but with smaller balconies...so perhaps it's my fault for asking for an apartment with a large balcony. We got the large balcony but not a frontal ocean view.
Kitchen was lacking in utensils, corningware and other basic kitchen items (eg. No containers, serving dishes, peeler didn't work) . We had to request a few items from reception.
The pool was clean and a good size but desperately needs a spa and water needs to be heated.
2nd bedroom had a double bed. I think for a 5 star establishment one would expect at least a queen size bed especially if the bed is intended to sleep one couple.
My husband is a handy man and he noticed several maintenance issues that need to be fixed such as doors off hinges, loose powerpoint, loose towel rails and toilet roll holder.
There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom which meant the bathroom was always steamy and fogged up when showering.
The appliances weren't at their best, dishwasher didn't wash the stainless steel utensils very well and the dryer would only run for 10 minutes so we would have to keep restarting
The airconditioners worked really well.
Location was ok. It was a 20-25 minute walk into Airlie Beach where all the action was however we ate at a nearby restaurant called Barcelona tapas bar cafe and the food was good and reasonably priced with great service.
Reception had movies that could be borrowed for free, selection was good. There were no board games.
Rowena the receptionist was excellent. She was highly knowledgeable of the area, very efficient and professional.
She was always ready to help and her service alone deserves 5 stars.
We enjoyed our stay, it was comfortable and not too far from Airlie although we may opt to stay closer to town next time.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

We have had the most amazing stay at Marina Shores. We had an ocean view appartment and our view was incredible. It was so lovely to wake up each morning looking out on the water, and at nights watching the sunset whilst we had a bbq on our balcony was perfect. Rowena at reception has been very helpful and friendly and given us great advice with tours. Will definitely come back

Date of stay: August 2016
1  Thank Sarah E
Jeff A, General Manager at at Marina Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2016

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your lovely 5 star review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Marina Shores.

Indeed our location is just sublime and it is lovely to read you made the most of the water view from your spa apartment.

It is always lovely to receive great feedback, I will certainly pass this feedback to Rowena and the team at Marina Shores.

We hope you can visit us again in the future, please contact us direct on stay@marinashores.com.au so we can personally attend to your booking.

Reviewed 21 August 2016

I booked the hotel via another website. We arrived before 6pm having had a long tiring drive down from Cairns to find that reception was closed. There was a number on the door to ring to gain access to the night box. I only had a UK mobile phone and it took several attempts to get hold of some-one to give me the code. Once I got access to the nightbox I found an envelope with a card for the apartment and instructions. We were requested to complete paperwork the following morning. Reception doesn't start until 8am - we were on a trip leaving at 7:15. I wrote a note to the receptionist to explain that and left it folded on her desk. When I got back early enough that afternoon to speak to her she asked me what my note meant- she hadn't unfolded it to read inside. Just seen Receptionist, my name and room number on a folded piece of paper and thought that was it. After we left I had to ring up as we thought we had left something in the room. I finally got through and basically the receptionist refused to speak to me as she was busy doing check-outs and hung up on me. Not at all impressive. The apartment itself was lovely. Well equipped, great view but I wouldn't want to stay there again because the reception hours are inadequate and the staff aren't helpful. The parking is also not ideal as it is up a very steep slope.

Room tip: Ask for a sea view
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank porkmummy

Dear porkmummy,

I have referred your review to the TripAdvisor team as I believe you may have posted this review under the incorrect listing, reason being

We do not operate a night box with a pin code for after hour check in's

We are located right on the waterfront, our driveway is 100% level, we do not have a steep sloping driveway.

I trust TripAdvisor contact you so your review can be posted to the correct listing.

Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

I can't recommend this apartment enough. Very clean, great location and the service was fantastic! A big thank you to Geoff and rowena for making our stay so enjoyable. Your customer service skills are exceptional and you both went out of your way to inform us tours and places to eat. Thanks again! Melinda

Date of stay: August 2016
1  Thank Melinda T
Jeff A, General Manager at at Marina Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2016

Dear Melinda,

Thank you for your wonderful review, Rowena, the team and I are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. It was so lovely to meet you.

We are so happy to read you enjoyed our great seaside location and the service offered by the team.

We hope you can visit us again in the future, please contact us direct stay@marinashores.com.au so we can attend to your booking personally.