“Very good French food”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 November 2016

Not a regular at French restaurants but headed out to this place when in the area, on a Saturday night.
Could have just eaten off the entrée list all night - but were limited to sharing Onion Soup and a Goat's Cheese and Honey in Filo. Both superb. My wife had the Beef Bourguignon and it was everything it should be - and a very generous serve with a fantastic pastry top. I went for the Beef Tartare, which was fine - though the "condiments" offered on the menu turned out to be a bottle of tabasco popped onto the table before it arrived.
Service was a bit hit and miss - mainly because we were in a room upstairs with no other customers in it, and so staff had to remember to look in at us. So it took a while before they got into the habit of checking on us for drinks. Sitting in an empty room for much of the night (others did come in later) also took a little away from the ambience.

Reviewed 19 November 2016

Ches Oliver was picked by our son to celebrate my wife's birthday being a avid French food eater I would throughly recommend this restaurant ,its small and on several levels but very quaint remonsis of restaurants in Paris , good food ,service plus a very good wine list,comes very close to my favourite French restaurant "bistro Thierry in Hawksburn.

1  Thank Maurice W
Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic authentic French food.

Compared to other French restaurants in Melbourne, the French onion soup is the best I've tasted. The boeuf bourgignon was incredible - sooooh delicious! Desserts are equally yummy - we shared the dessert trio; a small try of three different desserts.

We've been quite a few times now because overall, it's great value for money. It is reasonably priced, and particularly if you go on the nights when you can BYO (not Fri/Sat).

The staff are attentive snd efficient and they are all French, so I got to practise my French on them! The music is also in French and the total experience was like having a little trip OS!

If you promise to 'like' them on Facebook, they give you a little Eiffel Tower keyring. I loved eating there and just wish I could eat there every day! It's now my favourite restaurant.

1  Thank CharmedLife11
Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

We had a very nice meal here. The table was upstairs and it was quiet - no background music - big tick! The food was excellent and service charming. I really like this restaurant.

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

Started with good bread and good butter, always a good sign. Zucchini soup was smooth, creamy and needed a bit of seasoning. Only a bit. The lamb with polenta was excellent. The light crunchy polenta was a lovely surprise.

My life long search is for perfect creme brûlée. With the dramatic ceremonial melting of the sugar at the table my hopes were high. It was nice but didn't win the trophy. A bit too thick and sticky.

Overall a good meal w good service.