“Excellence and disappointment”

Ranked #28 of 124 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: US$6 - US$29
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Garrison brings you a group of passionate people that have come together because of their love of food. The beauty of it on the plate, and the ability to give you exceptional service. Every one of our people is passionate about what we do and how we do it. The devil's in the detail they say, and we pay great attention to detail. From the cutlery to the plate, nothing is left to chance, it is chosen specifically. We hope you enjoy your experience.
Reviewed 10 April 2022

There are not many venues open in Albany on a Monday evening in April so our party decided to book into Garrison for the first evening meal of a 5 night's stay in the area. The venue itself is fantastic with stunning views over the historic King George Sound. The staff were friendly and helpful and the service good.

My partner chose the Pork Belly which was excellent - beautifully tender and tasty. However, the Seafood Crepe that I chose was not a 'crepe' in the conventional sense and I'm not sure quite where the idea that the dish presented to me was in any way related to a conventional crepe. To me, a traditional crepe is a very thin relative of the pancake. However, in this dish, there was no pancake. There was plenty of very delicious, beautifully cooked seafood - but it was all drowned in a very strong and extremely rich cheese sauce. Indeed, the sauce was so rich that I was inconvenienced with an unpredictable stomach for 3 days thereafter,

Further disappointment was occasioned on Wednesday lunchtime when, after a visit to the National Anzac Centre we decided to patronize Garrison for lunch, only to find that the menu was exactly the same as that presented on the previous Monday evening. Surely it is not beyond the capabilities of this establishment to be able to provide a lunch menu with lighter alternatives?

All in all, despite the quality of much of the food served in this establishment, this was a distinct disappointment.

Date of visit: April 2022
Write a reviewReviews (501)

Reviewed 26 March 2022 via mobile

Highly recommend this place! Great food, great service and great view!
My wife and I had drinks, entrees, mains and dessert ($200 total bill) and it was worth it!
Make sure you book a table prior to dining in.

Date of visit: March 2022
Reviewed 25 February 2022

Always excited to try a new restaurant and Garrison is possibly one of the better places to enjoy the sunset. I called and asked if I could request for a specific table by the window for the best sunset view...but was told no guarantee. Fine, understandable. So I decided to book a table outside. I spent my whole afternoon beforehand at Anzac centre and little did I expect, Garrison is just a few steps away in the same parking lot LOL

Move on to the good things:
- ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and PEACEFUL SUNSET!!! Turned out I was the only diner sitting outside for the entire 3 hours! No idea why other ppl didn't want to sit outside when the weather was absolutely beautiful. All the better for me becos I enjoyed everything in peace.

- A couple of my dishes and the dessert were ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS esp the pasta with truffles *droool* The other dish was the pork with bao. The pasta was cooked to perfection, no meat in it so the truffle became the star of the dish that just melted in my mouth. I had the sticky toffee pudding for dessert...oooh la la!

- Great service by a couple of very lovely waitress. Unlike some others in the reviews, luckily I didn't wait long at all for service and for the food to arrive. Usually when you're sitting outside or in the corner, they tend to forget/ignore you...but the waitresses really took care of me and paid attention to how my entire evening progressed.

- Beautiful refreshing cocktails. Loved the Mark Mcgowan cocktail LOL :-D

The bad things:
I think they have two different chefs...? Becos my pasta and pork bao were cooked to perfection, BUT my gosh, the entree and the 2 takeaway dishes were EXTREMELY SALTY!!!! And I mean extremely extremely! The entree was popcorn chicken and the 2 takeaway dishes were the pork belly and can't remember, but I think arancini balls. Quite disappointing and I did tell the waitress about it and they're very apologetic about it.

I also saw this possum-like creature coming out...very cute. It's very shy and didn't cause any trouble so don't worry.

The question is...will I come back again? For the sunset and dessert, yep absolutely, but for the food, maybe...if I do, I'll make sure to tell them to go easy on the salt. Even if you just come here for the drinks for the sunset, it would still be worth it.

Date of visit: December 2021
1  Thank Poikime
Reviewed 13 February 2022

Booked in for 12:30pm Sunday lunch. Arrived at 12:30pm and shown to a window table with fantastic views. First the good news. The food was exceptionally good. We both thoroughly enjoyed everything we ordered and could have licked the plates clean. Now the not so good news. There are about 30 other diners already seated. Five minutes after being seated we had a carafe of room temperature water delivered to our table. Another 15 minutes passed by before a server arrived to take our order. It's now 12:50pm. We order a glass of wine and a Makers Mark Bourbon with cola and our entree and both main courses. Back she came, no Makers Mark. OK, I'll have a Jack Daniels. No problem, except she comes back to advise they don't have any. Jim Beam, same result. Only bourbon they had was one in a fancy bottle that I had never heard of. OK, I'll have that. Found out when I got the bill it was $17 for one mixed drink. My wife's wine arrived around 1;05pm although the side glass of ice she requested did not. Shortly after, our entree arrived, followed by our main courses. I watched the barman mix my drink at about 1:15pm and it sat on the bar until 1:30pm when I flagged down a server and asked her if she could bring it over. Our server (blonde lass with glasses) was great. The view was great. The food was great. The beverage service, sadly, was not.

Date of visit: February 2022
Reviewed 2 February 2022

First visit. Female Chef unbelievable and large portions so impressed went back Friday different ‍. Still great food guests were impressed but not the same as Thursday. Definitely worth the money and cocktails and staff excellent. Very creative

Date of visit: January 2022