“Great Night Out”

Ranked #71 of 361 Restaurants in Noosa
Price range: US$19 - US$26
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Drawing inspiration from leading gastro pubs and authentic local family eateries, Wood Fire Grill has designed a diverse and accessible menu to share amongst friends and family.
Reviewed 28 July 2017

After reading the last few reviews on this website, we were a bit hesitant to visit this
restaurant but I’m glad we did ask around and it came recommended by locals. To our surprise the place was very busy for a Wednesday night. ( Live Jazz Night) Even thought we didn't have a booking the host found us a table in a cosy spot near the garden area. Despite being busy the staff was courteous and very accomodating to all of our guest pregnant wife dietary requests. A variety of items on the menu are gluten free and/or could be adjusted to be so.
The great atmosphere and good food made it easy for us to entertain our guests. I would highly recommend the Mooloolaba prawns and the BBQ chicken. The salted caramel cheesecake for dessert was a hit at the table but to my wife disappointment there was no chocolate dessert on the menu. On the downside the portion of the sides are inconsistent ( 3 potatoes or cabbage slaw for an army) .Overall it was a very pleasant experience.Will definitely be back.

1  Thank mark g

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Small serving sizes throughout, three small potatoes between 5 people, would have been happy to order more if we were aware. $58 for a small, tough pork. Kids ice-cream was absolutely tiny which is pretty disappointing. We are always happy to pay high prices at restaurants but Wood Fire Grill left us wanting more. Literally

1  Thank MalcolmJohns1980
rickysnoosa, General Manager at Wood Fire Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your meal at Wood Fire Grill on this occasion. I will certainly take your comments on board regarding the share pork dish and address it with our head chef. All our share dishes are recommended between two people, so I do understand that the portion for your party may have seemed small. One side dish of potatoes may have not been enough to share, and I apologise if the portion size was not communicated to you at the time. Our kids ice-cream consists of vanilla ice-cream, smarties, chocolate wafer stick and chocolate sauce at $5 per serve, and again I apologise if the portion size felt small. Thank you again for writing your review, and I look forward to having you try us again in the future and give us another chance. Warm regards, David Jouy, General Manager.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

As new locals to the area, we were very sad and sorry to report our disappointed in this event.

The Entertainment was the best element of the evening and scores a 10/10. Wonderful - perfect! This part of the evening was great. But that's where it ends.

The food and organisation was a disappointment. For a very expensive evening we expected much better. The disappointment began when we were seated at a share table when a later arrival (a group) got preference at the table and we were asked to move to the very back of the table and sit across from each other instead of together as we would have liked. Our table was a bit of a mess with different groups on it. The staff seemed to want to help sort out this mess, but we didn’t feel warmly welcomed because of all the shuffling about so that others could sit where they liked. We kindly agreed to move, yet still didn’t feel welcomed or our efforts appreciated very much.

The shared table concept didn't work from the start. This did not feel like fine dining, and for the price it should have been. Entrees were not plentiful for the six people it was supposed to be shared with. The mains were not cooked well. The lamb was dry, no dressings or accompaniments to speak off. The chicken also dry. No vegetables or salads or sides offered. Sharing plates on a large table with those whom we'd not met before felt awkward.

This experience didn’t showcase Wood fire Grill to its best and for the money, did quite the opposite! The event was noisy; we could not hear the beautiful entertainment over the din for the first hour or so. Eventually many people got up to dance and things moved along better when that happened and we could hear the band better and enjoy their performance.

The rest however saddens me. I am so sorry to report our disappointment here. We love food and dining and wanted to love this event and restaurant too. The share concept let us down too because one person sitting next to us was rude and offensive and got worse as the night progressed. We didn’t feel comfortable, so we left early because of it. The whole thing really didn’t leave us wanting to return. Overpriced, overcrowded and overrated. Thank you to the delightful band, as they were the one saving grace of the evening.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Thank you for attending one of the Noosa Alive events at our restaurant. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed the entertainment, we also agree the trio performance was excellent. I appreciate your effort to move places and accommodate the other guests who wanted to sit with each other much to your discomfort. I am sure the group did appreciate your accommodation in moving for them. I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal on this occasion, and I will certainly address your feedback with our head chef. I do hope you will give us another chance and perhaps come back and join us on a regular night and try some of our dishes from the a la carte menu. The event was sold as communal seating and a sharing style of menu. Thank you again for choosing to dine with us for the Noosa Alive event and I look forward to welcome you back again in the future. Warm regards, David Jouy, General Manager.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

A friend had arranged a surprise Birthday dinner for his wife's 40th. My wife deopped off balloons earlier in the day and we arrived in the evening and were told there was no booking. This creates confusion among the staff and we were left standing around uncomfortably for about 10 minutes before they finally said they would find a table for us. By then the surprise was spoilt and we were still left standing with no offer of drinks. When I finally called out and asked for drinks (5 staff were standi g around looking confused) a female waitress said out loud that I was rude. Anyway, this all came at a cost of almost $300 a family. The food was ok but for that money it should have been great. I'm a local and will never go back and I'll spread the word about our terrible experience.

2  Thank Brent P

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very sorry to hear the group booking your friend had made was not able to be found upon arrival, however the table was cancelled in our system which was obviously a mistake. With the booking not in the system, this did create some confusion for the maitre d’ and I do apologise you may have felt uncomfortable at the time, and I will address with my team as we strive to achieve better than what you have mentioned in your review. The balloons were placed on the table and the table was set-up straight away. It is unfortunate that your experience was not to our standards and I do hope you give us another try. Thank you again for writing your review and I do hope to see you again. Warm regards, David Jouy, General Manager.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

We have been going to Wood Fire Grill for years, albeit we had not been for a few months until last Saturday. Unfortunately this time the staff appears to have changed and the quality of food and service has also changed drastically...

The signs were there from the beginning - we had to call the neighbour restaurant to make a booking as WFG don't open for same day telephone bookings until 4pm even though there answer machine says they are there in the mornings at the weekend. Much of our Saturday wasted calling and calling!

At first all was going well, even though we were picking up a certain arrogance from the staff from the get go - such a shame as one the main reason for going here was always the awesome staff.

We ordered a bottle of Pinot which was clearly not right - the waiter smelled it and said "yes, something is definitely not right" then tasted and said "hmmm I THINK that's ok" not what you want from an $80 bottle, however he did kindly offered to change it which was great.

The market fish of the day was Barramundi...wonder what market they bought that from freshly that morning???

Main courses came well 3 of them, we were then informed the 4th had been delivered to the wrong table! It had to be replaced, so 3 of us had to eat whilst our friend sat hungry for another 15 mins. We were ok with this as we are all old hands in the hospitality industry and understand things go wrong sometimes. And when we asked the manager whether we would have to pay for the late dish he said "of course not" (and strangely rolled his eyes at the same time, again displaying an unpleasant demeanour) Anyway, great stuff we'll get on with our meal and enjoy the evening...

Unfortunately the food was a disaster too! Our dish the shared Shoulder of Lamb was very over cooked and dry and when our friends fish eventually arrived it was only luke warm. At this point we felt we should not do any more complaining as it would just lead to longer delays and further disruption.

After racking up $500's worth of tucker and beverages we got the bill to find we had been charged for the late dish and had been overcharged for 2 premium whiskies, only a couple of bucks each but still. So whilst walking out when the manager asked was everything ok? We pointed out "you charged for the dish that you said we wouldn't have to pay for." This is when the evening was ruined... He looked at us and said "oh did i say that? I don't think so!" It wasn't just the bare faced lie but it was the amount of aggression and arrogance with which it was delivered... WE WERE STUNNED!!!

Now he may have hoped we had drank too much wine or would simply not question the $500 bill, however my stone cold sober, 38 week pregnant wife, who was entirely in control of her facilities assured him of the situation. He eventually accepted it with great indignance.

Such a shame to see a great place go so far down hill.

2  Thank Graham K