“Catch up with friends”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 January 2017

Last minute booking for a catchup with friends. We shared a banquet menu so we could taste some of the dishes. The fish tacos, salmon carpaccio, soft shell crab, and scallops were an absolute standout. All 6 of us loved these dishes. The rest of the dishes were good with the exception of the wagyu beef. It was unpleasant to taste and the texture a little slimy. The atmoshphere and noise level was good for our group, we all had fun. The wine and drinks menu was reasonably good. Desserts were relatively simple. The service was friendly, prompt and efficient - not always easy on a busy evening. I would go definitely go back to dine.

Reviewed 1 January 2017

My partner and I are locals and we decided to finally check it out after hearing so many good things. The food was really delicious (we both could have eaten endless amounts of the soft shell crab! But sadly, the service was awful. It took 20 minutes before anyone came over to take our order. Then it took a further 80 minutes for us to have 2 starters and 2 mains. Thankfully we had planned plenty of time for dinner before going to the cinema! It also felt as though there we far too many tables in the small space. We had about 3 inches on each side of us before the next table!

Because the place has nothing but great reviews, we are keen to go back and try again. Definitely hoping that our next visit goes better, theres nothing worse than sitting, getting hungrier and hungrier whilst being ignored by staff!

Reviewed 3 October 2016

When I go to Japanese restaurants seeking washoku, I'm generally seeking the perfect harmony of traditional Japanese flavours and beautiful presentation. It should not be surprising however to find out that even what is washoku evolves over time - no cuisine is stagnant - and contemporary Japanese fusion dishes can be washoku too.

If you'd like to see this in practical terms, head to Toshiya Kai's eponymous restaurant on the north side of the harbour. In a contemporary black and red dining room - rammed on the night I dined - he's dishing up a modern Japanese menu specialising in sushi, deep-fried, and grilled dishes.

And before you start reaching for the soy sauce - I should probably let you know, there isn't any! Though I reckon where you'd ordinarily be reaching for soy, particularly on dishes like Seared Salmon Roll ($16.50/6), you'll find them plenty saucy. Your inside-out avocado rolls capped by lightly seared salmon, spicy leeks and shallots, sit on a pretty sauce net of mayonnaise and sweet-soy. An even better Spicy Volcano Roll ($19.50) turns saucing into a veritable eruption of seared sashimi tartar sauce and feisty teriyaki chilli oil, set around a mound of inside-out prawn tempura rolls.

You'll also find saucing to be a strong suit on the dishes presented on the hand-written specials menu. Tenderly cooked Pan Fried Scallops ($16) gleam under a sticky, reduced balsamic, soy sauce glaze with a hint of red wine. The saucing is clever, adding a soft, woody earthiness to the intensely sea flavour of the pan-fried scallops, though visually I miss the golden sear usually so appealing on scallop dishes like this.

Covered in condiment, the Salmon Carpaccio ($15.50) dominates the salmon with a pleasant, big sesame taste, brightened by yuzu. Even lightly seared Beef Tataki ($15.50) is slathered with chilli-coriander sauce, meaning by the time I hit an equally saucy raw tuna dish, my palate is pretty much sauced out...

Yet I'd also worked up a powerful thirst, so once more unto the breach, I got on the sauce, this time with the new-to-menu Ryo Junmai Ginjo Sake ($22/180ml). This sake from the Tottori Prefecture is worth ordering, if only for beautiful twisted blue glass bottle.

The sake itself is smooth with subtle bitterness, but perhaps a bit too simple for my taste, though I have no such complaints about the full-bodied Takashimizu Junmai Daiginjo ($17/small). Those who prefer vinous libation will find a well-chosen wine list boasting Chablis, Chenin blanc and other Japanese friendly varietals like Muscadet. Though for me, it's in the Japanese craft beers that Toshiya's drinking options shine.

Ishikawa Brewery Bottle Conditioned Aged Pale Ale ($13/330ml) is refreshing, with good natural acid, and its bitterness, malt and hops in good balance. It's quite the palate-cleanser against crisp gyoza skin Sashimi Tacos ($14/2), filled with juicy, raw sashimi-grade fish. Ocean Kujukuri Pilsner ($12/330ml) is a bit heavier on malt, so it extends to suiting Soft Shell Crab ($12.50) with spicy leek, shallots, flying fish roe and chilli mayo.

Toshiya helped me to understand what attracts me personally to washoku cuisine - the simplicity and clarity of each key ingredient. What this restaurant does best is put forward an argument for the place of Japanese fusion cuisine; and with a ten-course banquet coming in under fifty bucks, it seems churlish to deny experimental cooking the room for hits and misses.

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

Lucky for us this neighbour gem is just across the road from where we live. We have friends who live 35km from us who make frequent trips to join us for dinner here because the food is so good.
Japanese with a modern twist. Must try are the sushi taco's, salmon or kingfish capparcio and the Oysters. Specials change but try them as they have been amazing.
Staff are so friendly, especially Mika. Toshyi makes the best sashimi.
If you want the old staples like teriyaki chicken etc they do all that too. Try the banquet if you want the full taste!
If you are looking at restaurants on trip advisor in this vicinity, stop now and come to Toshiyas!!

1  Thank Joanna M
Reviewed 16 August 2016

Toshiyas food is always fresh, innovative and amazing.
The restaurant gets a bit noisy but that's because it's always full. Don't turn up without a booking.