“Genuine kindness and genuine quality”
Review of Da Roberto

Da Roberto
Price range: US$18 - US$53
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Open from noon to sunset, closed when I go shopping Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to my home. Every morning I wake up happy to build a space of peace, balance and harmony to offer people who like to come to my Taverna. I appreciate people for what they are willing to share of their minds and hearts. The visible sign of money makes very little impression on me. Good manners are a key contributor to enjoy my daily life. I hold myself to a high standard and I do whatever I can to protect this space from negativity of bad manners. I'm a countryside cuciniere (cook), whose only claim is to feed myself honestly. Home cooking is prepared and shared with those who like to sit at my table. If you like what I do, tell the people you care about. And if you do not, please tell me. I'm ready to hear your constructive feedback when expressed in-person. It helps me recognize my mistakes and work to reduce their number. I consider criticism expressed at later dates, and worse if protected by the anonymity of a pseudonym, a destructive attitude, and I will not give the deriving negativity any chance to affect me. I always offer people seated in my house my service and my smile. To people content to savor authentic dishes, to sip sincere drinks and to gladly recognize the price of my loyalty to them, I also give my heart. I appreciate your courtesy. Roberto Crocenzi
Reviewed 13 December 2016

Having previously owned an agriturismo in the general area for the past 5 years (between Pienza and Monticchiello) I have no idea why I had never actually visited Roberto's restaurant. On this occasion I happened to be in Tuscany for only 3 days and I found myself in a very quiet Montisi, at lunch time, out of season, with nobody around apart from the odd person busily involved in their olive harvest. I had an hour to kill prior to a meeting and I was heading to the local bar thinking that I would probably have to make do with a coffee and a panini. I was literally walking past the terrace of Roberto's restaurant and I happened to hear him on the phone talking to his commercialista...unsure as to whether or not he was actually open for lunch given the time of year and not wishing to intrude I was intending to walk on by when he saw me, stopped his conversation and asked me (in Italian) if he could help me. Within 2 minutes I was seated in his welcoming restaurant, glass of very good chianti wine in hand enjoying the most genuine and interesting conversation I had had in a long time. Roberto cooked me a simple vegetable pasta (drizzled in olio nuovo 2016) ...without doubt one of the best quality pasta dishes I have had. Roberto's food is a reflection of the man himself...genuine, honest and a complete pleasure. There is nothing more you could ask for than to be as fortunate as I was to share great food and great company with Roberto. I used to live near by and I am currently looking to buy another property in the area...Roberto simply reminded me of exactly why I wish to return...this is is the best of Tuscany. Thank you Roberto very much for your food and your company.

2  Thank PeterPienza

Reviewed 16 November 2016

Roberto is a great chef. He loves making food the perfect way. The ingredients are local and organic. He'll explain everything about the menu and recommend a great wine to compliment your food. This is not fast food but a delightful meal in a wonderful location.

Reviewed 8 October 2016

This is my third visit to Montisi, an area of Italy I love, and my fourth visit to Da Roberto.
What can I say.......since I have got to know expats from Britain who live here, we were invited to a birthday party where we met up with Roberto who was also a guest. Since I had had the pleasure of meeting him on previous trips, he mentioned that he no longer does dinner because of health reasons, but he invited us to come for lunch. The three of us did, much to our delight. We spent from 12:30pm until 4:pm in the restaurant. There was no menu and Roberto supplied what we ate. The white truffles on baguettes, the antipasto meats, the pasta course and finally dessert, plus wine, were wonderful. I cannot say enough about what a great afternoon we had. His partner, Gayle, happened to be there (she lives in the U.S.) and we had a great time talking to her and finally to Roberto when he finished serving us. His food is all organic and he takes great pride in what he serves. However, if you are in the area you need to be sure you have reservations as he does not serve you if you just turn up.
This is one of my favorite places in Italy.

Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

Roberto saw us in the street ( hungry cyclist at 3 pm) and reopened his restaurant for us. He made us some delicious pasta. Roberto has a great philosophy about food, it was a very interesting meeting him. And the cute kittens in the basilic :) thanks again!

Reviewed 22 September 2016

We had no reservation as we accidently found the restaurant after a trip to Montalcino and a wine tasting. We even did not get on the terrace as the owner started asking us how he could help us. This not in a polite but a very agressive way. He went on that he had to serve his guests and that he worked on his conditions not on ours.The restaurant was not full but he went on that we needed reservations.
My wife only had the chance to say we would like to have something to eat. When we moved away we heard him giving further comments to the other guests: " this restaurant has basic rules etc... my question: what are these basic rules based on which he behaved so arrogant and rude? "
Our basic rule is to avoid this type of "chefs" who act as if the guest are there to please him.
I regret we did not give him an agressive answer but he gets it now: AVOID THIS RESTAURANT AND THE ARROGANT OWNER.
We are from Belgium and enjoy good food - I am also a semi professional wine taster. I never had an experience comparable to this.

3  Thank elc34
da-Roberto, Owner at Da Roberto, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2016

Dear Trip Advisor readers,
I'd like to thank Mr. elc34 for his opinions, which I respect.

I run with passion Taverna all by myself, going to the farms daily to shop for the ingredients, cooking them fresh (no freezers at Taverna) on order by the Guests (no microwave in the kitchen), serve them at the table with plenty of information about the men and the women that made available to us, proud and happy to share with my Guests the information I collected in these 15 years of hospitality work.

By the way, I also work hard to keep the Taverna clean and comfortable, wash the bathrooms and do the dishes.

To make all of this work smoothly, I can accommodate at the most some 10-15 people every day, and their advance booking is required.

In some instances, I'm still ready and happy to welcome walk-ins, provided my time has not been (or will soon be) absorbed by the Guests who kindly booked (I do not know how Mr. elc 34 could judge the restaurant being not full, he stayed just a couple of minutes) and, more important, provided the walk-ins show their good mannered attitude to understand my efforts, respect my time and my working priorities.

These are my basic rules, the rules I follow when I enter somebody else's home. I simply call them good manners.

I offered a few times Mr. elc34 my readiness to cook different dishes for him, hopefully looking for finding something of his interest.
Mr. elc 34 didn't like any of my offers and kept repeating they would have come back another day after booking, and left without other words.

I understand Mr. elc 34 made his day to notify me with his aggressive answer to tell the world to avoid my place. People that share his opinions and behave similarly to him, choosing not to greet when entering my home, or not to deliver even a small smile, or not to accept any of my offers, do not allow me to work with joy and enthusiasm.

And after an open heart surgery and a very recent heart attack, I'm committed to create and hold tightly only positive mood into my space and fiercely reject negativity that comes from the outside.

The Guests that love my hospitality support my approach to life and encourage me to keep on continuing this way. I will never stop thanking them for their support and they know they'll be more than welcome again in my home, should our paths cross again in the future.

Roberto Crocenzi