“Outstandingly good lunch ”
Review of Rafa's

Rafa's
Ranked #31 of 281 Restaurants in Roses
Price range: US$46 - US$114
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 September 2015 via mobile

Do not be put off by the fact of no menu : they cook what the boats bring in that day and the very nice waitress takes you through the list in good English - pointing out when things are expensive ( sea cucumbers for example). Ask for the prices if you are worried. We had delicious razor clams and sweet, perfectly cooked baby squid to start. Big portions. We followed with a divine sole and a monk fish plus a huge and delicious tomato salad to share. All wonderful quality and done to perfection. With two small bottles of sparkling water and a glass of excellent local white wine from Perelada, the bill was 112 euros. In London for that quality it would have been far more. Memorably good food.

Reviewed 29 June 2015

We went to this restaurant as I saw some excellent review. Firstly there is no menu - don't fall into this trap! The waitress is rushing around. When she comes over to explain what is on offer (in perfect English) there is no mention of prices. When my husband asked how much the large grilled prawns were each her understanding of English was non existent. We had eaten across the street the night before and had an amazing meal including wine for 55 euros including tip. This meal of 4 very small grilled prawns ( by the time you had taken the heads off) each and a bit of boney monkfish, bread and water set us back 84 euros. Don't waste your money on eating here!
Unless of course you want to pay 5 euros per small prawn?
All in all an extremely overpriced disappointing meal :(

1  Thank Karen580419
Reviewed 20 June 2015 via mobile

Having been given the job to find places to eat for the holiday this restaurant was added to the hit list . . . definitely helped by the fact that Adrean from El Bulli ate here on a regular basis.

Did it disappoint . . . No, not in the slightest!! I have to admit though that it was a first for me not getting a menu to peruse. That said, it added to the intrigue that a menu couldn't be created as you ate the freshest fish from the sea that was only delivered earlier that evening.

If fish could taste like milk then this is the place to go . . . I ate the freshest, softest baby squid I ever tasted. Followed by the sweetest Monkfish. My wife had prawns in a Brandy sauce followed by White Tuna . . . equally amazing!!

If I had any gripes it was how the bill was presented. It's costly enough (but we knew that before going) and you pay for your fish by the kilo. It would be nice to see a kilo price presented outside on a blackboard so you get an idea of market price. Also, given that the bill for two people came to over €140 I thought it a bit cheeky to charge for bread.

Reviewed 18 June 2015

This little gem is amazing!! Just the chef and his one waitress, who is amazing!! They only serve seafood, and by that I mean only seafood! There are no sides, no appetizers, no veggies, just food from the sea. He only serves what is caught that morning, if nothing looks good to him from the docks, he closes for the day. Simply an amazing experience!!

Reviewed 18 June 2015

Our order:

Green salad, baby squid, langoustines, monk fish, small clams, two glasses of roses and a bottle of sparkling water came to 105 euros, which I find high compared to other places where we have eaten on this trip.

It was all ok but nothing amazing, but we do live in a part of the world with an abundance of fresh seafood so our standards are high. Thankfully, we didn't travel too far to get to the restaurant.