“Disappointing customer service!”
Review of OLA Hotel Maioris

OLA Hotel Maioris
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in El Arenal
Reviewed 23 August 2011

After reading these reviews I felt positive about our choice of hotel for an all inclusive break. We travelled at midnight, arriving at the Maoris at 6 am. On arrival we were told there was no room available for us until 11am so therefore had to travel to another hotel that was not of the same standard that we had paid for that night. We missed our all inclusive that morning and by way of making it up we were offered a safety deposit box for free. This did not suffice for the cost we had paid for our missed night, let alone annoyance at having to travel more and wake up by 11 after travelling all night! I requested a late check out instead which was not promised but they would try. We did not get late check out due to the room being needed for others. This angered me because we needed a room when we arrived but were sent off to a horrible hotel nearby. We also got locked out on our balcony one evening and shouted to the people on the balcony next door who reported to the reception that we were locked out and no one came! The hotel was a nice hotel but the customer service was appauling.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jen504
Write a ReviewReviews (1,508)

Reviewed 22 August 2011

I arrived with my two children (16) and (13) late July 2011, and we were allocated a room on the first floor which had a partial view of the pool, The room absolutely stank of stale cigarette smoke and the door to the bathroom wouldn't shut properly. The carpets were badly stained. I immediately complained and the receptionist called a chamber maid who just sprayed the room with an air freshner. It didn't solve the problem, so I demanded to be moved. They reluctantly allocated us a room on the 3rd floor, directly above the one we were first allocated, this smelled better but the carpets were still badly stained. The beds were uncomfortable, and my 13 year old son had to sleep in the little cramped up bed in the corner.

The pictures on here of the pool are deceiving, it is certainly not as big as it appears. The pool on the lower level is tiny. There was a major wasp problem here also, with young kids spilling their 'help yourself' sweet fizzy drinks by the sun beds, it attracted swarms of wasps. The bins would also be swarming as would the drinks areas. We could never get a decent sunbed, even at 7.30am in the morning the beds were all taken by others reserving them with their towels. The people staying at this hotel must have either put their towels out late at night or were up at the crack of dawn to get the best beds. The food was probably the worst I have ever had in an inclusive hotel in Spain. There was salad, (expected) slop of either cannelloni or lasagne, a very dry paella or bolognaise and chips for lunch and dinner. I accept that the food in all inclusive hotel is very samey, but I have always experienced a bit of variety from one day to the next in other hotels.

The hotel is in a residential area, there is nothing, absolutely nothing to see outside the hotel. On a day where we had rain for most of the morning until about 2pm, it was a struggle to find something to do. We booked the shuttle bus to El Arenal once, it drops you outside a hotel on a beach approach road, and you have to walk about 400 yards to the front. The beach here was OK, but we found predominantly German and mostly in their 20's. We booked the bus to the Water park also, but it is a one way trip. At the end of the day you have to sit and wait for a taxi to hopefully turn up to take you back to the hotel. This turned out to to be a costly trip, with extra money required to hire the inflatables need to use some of the rides, and lockers and sun beds. Upon arrival we were forced to have our photos taken with a parrot and a snake was uninvitedly wrapped round my sons neck for another photo which they try to sell to you on exit.

The evenings entertainment was rubbish. The saturday 'chill night' was ridiculous. It was suggested we all dress in 'white' and we could lounge around the pool on sunbeds covered in white sheets. We knew it was going to be a show involving fire, but didn't realise it was the childrens entertainers that were doing it until they all appeared carrying fire lit torches each and slowly walked around the pool with them. At one point they all entered the pool and formed a circle and walked around in a circle in the pool!!! (WOW) she says sarcastically. Not my idea of entertainment I am afraid.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel, unless you have really, really young children who are easily pleased.

Room Tip: Not one with a stale cigarette smell.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Nice hotel in a very quiet location. Not 4 star but a good 3 star, I would say. As previous comments have said, this is a residential area with nothing going on. Houses across the road waiting to be sold and a few shops and restaurants about 5 mins walk away.

The staff are wonderful, everyone says Ola and are multi lingual. The animation team are exceptional and work extremely hard. Hungary, Spain, Slovakia and Belgium is where they are from so a nice mix of nationalities to go with all the different guests. They are not pushy but do encourage everyone to take part in activities. My husband and son especially enjoyed archery, rifle shooting and football. Golf clubs for the crazy golf and tennis rackets and balls are available without paying a deposit at reception.

I loved the kids mini disco in the evening. Yes it was the same 7 or 8 songs every evening but the kids loved it. Then there was a couple of games of bingo with 20 euros for a line prize and 250 Euros and a bottle of bubbly for a full house. The show afterwards was not bad but everything finished before 11pm. Nothing at all for teenagers.

The rooms are adequate, beds have very thin mattresses and pillows and I banged my head on the wooden headboard the first night. My 15 year old, 5' 8" son was given the wee couch in the corner which was made into a bed, so he could not stretch out comfortably. The bathrooms are a nice size with lots of hot water and clean towels whenever needed. Plenty cupboard space and the air conditioning was welcome.

The swimming pools had a life guard which was nice to see, but they are much too small for the amount of people. Looking at the photos I had seen of the pools, I thought they were much bigger. Inflatables are not meant to be used but are, jumping and diving is prohibited but people do it, towels are not to be left on the sunloungers but it is very difficult to find a lounger after 8 am.

The restaurant is well staffed and they are very quick to change tablecloths and reset tables. The food can be pretty monotonous but there is a large choice and you should not go hungry at all unless you are extremely fussy like my son who lived on chips and chicken dippers. Yes, you do sometimes get breaded broccoli and boiled carrots and peas for breakfast but there are always boiled, fried or scrambled eggs, omelettes made for you, bacon, beans, frankfurters, fruit or continental breakfast items.

The bus to Arenal beach has to be prebooked the day before. Either 10 till 4 or 11 till 5 are the times. This beach was very busy and quite dirty but the water was lovely.
Free bus to Aqualand was welcome but Aqualand very expensive. After paying to get in, you pay for a locker if wanted. Then 5 Euros for a single ring or 10 for a double. These are not compulsory but saves you queuing up for rings at the bottom of the ride. Some rides only take double rings. There is also a height restriction on a few rides. 3.5 Euros will buy you a sunlounger. Food is also expensive, 6.60 E for a few chicken nuggets and chips, 6.90 for chicken fillet and chips and 4 E for a large coke, we never saw any small ones!

We went for a week and enjoyed relaxing in the sun but I think any longer would have been boring. My son enjoyed it when he met a boy his age to pal around with but before that he was bored.

To sum it up, it was very enjoyable but I would recommend it to families with children up to about 12. Young couples and people looking for a more energetic holiday with lots to see and do would struggle here.

Room Tip: We had a room in A Block on the 3rd floor above the bar and only heard noise once.
1  Thank Elizabeth P
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I dont really write these sort of reviews but after having read numerous about this place, i thought I should.

We have just returned from an all inclusive week at this resort due to our original holiday being cancelled , due to the company going into administration.

As regards the resort - well what can I say, the rooms were very clean. The entertainment was all based around young children and the animation team work very hard and long hours to keep us customers very happy, so well done guys (even the french guy I wrestled into the pool on water day).

The food was first class - and i am such a picky eater. the chef even made omlettes on demand for you. We paid an aditional 20 Euros to keep our room on, on the day of departure and the staff allowed us to continue on the all inclusive package until our transfer bus arrived at 21:00 that evening.

The bar staff were amazing - thanks to Lubo and Ivo (top bar men)!!!!. OK, there is an issue as discussed with previous reports on the wasp invation but we tend to found that this was purely down to "none british" customers leaving half filled cups of soft drinks laying around the sunbeds, thus inviting the wasps. If you bin your cups readers then the wasps wont bother you!

The only 2 downsides to this entire holiday were the transfers from the airport and the isolation of the hotels location. If you have booked and have transfers with A2B travel, well Im sorry to say, you are in for a nightmare of a magical mystery tour.

When we landed at Palma airport we had to wait 1hr at the airport while the receptionist took us to our hotels (last thing you need after a 2 and half hour flight). On the return transfer it was a joke. We were picked up from our hotel as arranged at 21:00. We then went to Arenal to pick up another couple. Then we went back to the our hotel to pick up another couple, which took another 15 mins, then back to Arenal to pick another family up for the airport.

To sum this up, what should of been a 15 minute transfer time tokk over 1 hour buy A2B - totally unacceptable. It reminds me of a scene of on the buses!

If not for the very poor transfers this overall holiday would be first class as I could not fault the resort.

We are planning on coming back next year but for two weeks and with a reputable company (unlike travel republic, who use A2B transfers).

I really hope this honest report has been helpfull if you intend to book.

7  Thank wp1964
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I wouldn't say the hotel was 4 star more like 3. It is a little bit ruff around the edges. The rooms could do with a spruce up. Carpets are stained and walls a liitle dirty in places but nothing too serious you don't sit in and stare at the walls do you? If you are like my husband daughter (age13) and i you will be out and about and only use the room to sleep in so no worries there. The bathroom was newly tiled and spotless and that's what makes me happy :) rooms cleaned and towels changed every day.
The food was excellent, plenty of choice everyday. Yes they do sometimes have chicken nuggets out for breakfast as someone commented on in a previous review but you don't have to eat them do you? There was always plenty to choose from, English breakfast like bacon, sausage egg and beans are not the best but you cant expect them to taste english when they are not. If you believe like me that variety is the spice of life and you are willing to try new things then you won't go wrong here. Omelette, cereal, bread, fruit, cheese, ham and yogurts.
Lunch and Dinner, fish, chicken, pork, beef, pasta, rice, vegetables, potatoes, chips and the list goes on too many to mention and all piping hot. There are also snacks available around the bar area from 11am to pm. This consists of ham, cheese, biscuits, bread, melon and crisps. These are self service as is the tea, coffee and soft drinks. Alcoholic drinks have to be ordered at the bar, staff are friendly enough and are quick and efficient which means you don't have to queue for long.
Now for the entertainment, this goes on all day long around the pool area and surrounding grounds. activities include water polo, darts, archery, aqua aerobics and the list goes on. The activities schedule is displayed for each day. Night time entertainment, snake show, Spanish dancers, fire show and chill out night, sun beds were covered with mattresses and White sheets. They asked everyone to where White and lounge around pool that night while they watched the fire show. Oh and not to forget the bingo every night! Not usually my thing but with a 240 euro prize money every night who could resist!
Last but not least the location. It is in the middle of no where. A couple of shops and restaurants about 5 to 10 mins away and I do mean a couple. However you do not need to leave the hotel there is plenty to do all day long and the hotel do provide a free bus to the nearest resort El Arenal if you wish something more lively or want to do some shopping. We got a taxi which cost 10 euro there and 10 back but if want to stick to the bus timetable 11 pickup at hotel then return at 5 then this would be free.
Just a quick mention about transfers from the airport. It took about 15 mins in a taxi and we pre booked and payed £88. This would be less than half price if you just caught your own taxi and didn't pre book.
Finally anyone thinking of booking this hotel I would say give it a go, if you're not expecting perfect but would like some fun then this is the hotel for you i couldn't fault the staff they were always friendly and helpful. Hope you have great holiday like my family and I did.

3  Thank Angelajane41
5.6 km away
Hotel Don Pepe
Hotel Don Pepe
#4 of 44 in El Arenal

Been to OLA Hotel Maioris? Share your experiences!