“Massively overcrowded”

Reviewed 5 September 2009

Just returned from a Week at the Ola Maioris

The Pro's

Food pretty good
Bar staff overworked but friendly
Animation team very good

The Cons

This hotel has far to many bedrooms for the pool side facilities. If you want to see the hysterical site of hotel residents actually running to get pool side loungers at 7.30 in the morning come to this hotel. If you turn up late you won't get a lounger in the sun.

Pathetic gym

Bar is good but it's like a 20 min wait in the evening to get a drink.

Summary

This is an 80's hotel that's been converted to an all inclusive business model and it simply doesn't work.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,508)

Reviewed 4 September 2009

Having only booked this hotel two weeks before our departure, as always, I checked up on Trip Advisor to see what other people had to say about this hotel. Many reviews tended to be either mostly positive or mostly negative with very little middle ground. This is my first review on Trip Advisor and I hope it is helpful.
We arrived at the hotel and were welcomed by a friendly team of staff at reception. The room was ready for us even though it was only 11am and we had a nice, if fairly basic room with partial views overlooking the pool. The first thing that particularly impressed us was the extremely clean corridors, lifts, rooms and public areas. The staff were working very hard to ensure that cleanliness was maintained at all times. The pool area was busy, mainly with young families. The two pools, which operated from 10am to 8pm, had a lifeguard on duty throughout the day - something which is not provided at many of the best 5 star hotels! The food was very good. We were on an All-Inclusive package and there was a great deal of choice at all meal times. Yes, as people have said, there is repetition but I do think that is to cater for the Brits more than anything else. Chips, pasta, an enormous variety of salads and vegetables and bread were provided at all lunchtime and evening meals but there were also at least two or three different types of fish and meat at each meal time. On Tuesday lunchtime, for example, we had grilled hake, seafood paella, cod, veal, chicken, pork, beff burgers and also a vegetarian lasagne, as well as soups, pates and cheeses. The choice really was pretty good! Drinks with meals are self-service and there is a choice of soft drinks, draught lager and white, red or rose wine.
One good piece of advice: as another reviewer has stated, there are quite a number of wasps in the evenings around the pool area so a blob of insect repelent on your table during the show would do no harm!
The entertainment team of 4 was simply outstanding. They all worked very hard to keep the children and adults enetertained if that is what you wanted. They were also happy to leave people well-alone if they would rather sit quietly and read the newspaper.
This hotel is perfect for people with young children. There is very little to do in the immediate area and I would recommend hiring a car for the week, as we did, although the hotel does provide bus services to local towns and beaches. As the Ola Maioris is so close to Palma, you can reach anywhere on the island in around one hour by car and it really is a beautiful island to explore. If you're looking for a lively nightlife, go elsewhere!
My real only gripe with this hotel was the serious lack of bar staff in the evenings. People were asked to form two queues at the bar and between 8.30pm and 11.00pm (at which point the 'free bar' becomes a paying one), average waiting time was between 8 and 12 minutes, though this could be as long as fifteen minutes. The two bar workers were super and worked their socks off to keep waiting time to a minimum but the hotel should have had four people behind the bar in the evenings.
All in all, a great week at the Ola Maioris with an average midday temperature of 35 degrees!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Abracadabra
Reviewed 3 September 2009

My partner and I have just returned from a week at the Ola Club Maioris - I have to say the reviews are very accurate!

The food was fantastic - in fact... a taste sensation! There was a wide choice of food everyday - something to suit all tastes...I don't know what the people on here are complaining about!!
The hotel was very clean and rooms very comfortable. Towels and sheets changed everyday and full air con. Although the pool was clean, it was very cramped and if you want a decent sunbed...be prepared to queue up at 7:30am! The hotel was also overrun by kids and hence athough it would be what I can imagine as being a great holiday for families...for couples, it was a little noisy and a bit too cfamily-oriented! The evening entertainment was very repertetive (School disco followed by a shockin singing act for example)....but once again the kids love it while the parents sit and watch. Couples cringe!

As one other reviewer also rightly said, although penty of entertainment...it was mainly targeted towards children, and it was often difficult to find a table at the bar in the evening...not to mention the lengthy queues at the bars for drinks! Despite all the inpatient customers, the bar staff were exceptional and always very helpful.

But nevertheless, it was a great relaxing week away, and we would definetely recommend taking ful advantage of the free bus to 'Es Trenc' on a Wednesday, that the hotel offers. Also do one of the boat trips round the Island, which are great. Aqualand is good but a rip off!

All in all, a quality hotel. Bargain and a must for anyone who wants a holiday with good food, weather and lots to keep the kids entertained.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jet_SetterReading
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Returned home from Ola Maioris 2 weeks ago and now that the depression has finally lifted I will post my review...
We arrived to surprise family and friends for a couple of days prior to having 9 nights on our own...Bonus there, was the friends could fill us in on everything and so we hit the ground running...

Reception and staff very nice and pleasant...

The room was fine, very clean and maid service excellent(Some people complained that they had a day off!!! Come on! They deserved it)
I don't know a fussier eater alive than myself and I never went without and having done A/I about 6 or 7 times this was way above the average...Totally satisfied...

Bar area was nice inside and out, staff excellent-Lubo Toni & Marissa...Never any real issues getting served...

Poolside-We got the same beds every day and never needed to queue and run as some suggested...I laughed out loud when I discovered that people actually queued up at 7:30 for the doors to open to get their beds...On checkout day we had to leave at 07:00 and I witnessed around a dozen people queing at the door...I nearly wet myself LOL...

Pool area was generally busy with people having a great time...It amazes me when people pick a bed at the side of a pool then complain when they get wet!!! LOL...

Finally the animations team....Erik, Bjorn, Lubka & Anka.....10/10

Made us laugh and entertained us so much....Also contributed to my 16 year old son having his best holiday ever(And almost becoming an animator!!!!) Thank you guys...

These guys were fantastic...Work tirelessly...If you want to join in, you join in if you dont you dont...Seemples as the meerkat says ;-)

One thing I will say to Erik if he is reading this....Don't make fun of a man with a broken leg...It may come back to haunt you ;-)

Joining in with animations is a great way to meet people and make friends as I did with people of various nationalities...

To sum up...4* may be exaggerated but we have NO complaints whatsoever...It was fabulous....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hopalong67
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I stayed at the hotel with a friend - we had a week away from the children. The hotel was beautifully clean. The maid tidied our room everyday. The air con was wonderful. The food was fabulous. There is a lot on offer and you tend to have a little of everything rather than a standard meal, but it was absolutely wonderful. Plenty on offer for meat eaters and vegetarians, English food and food that is a little different. There was always food on offer in the form of fruit (which was heavenly) bread of all kinds and a small amount of cold meat and salad. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially Lubo behind the bar. The only grumble that I may have is that the entertainment was very much geared towards children - it was a family orientated hotel and my friend and I had gone on an adult holiday. It would have been nice just to have a bar that was adult only that just played nice music in the background. We both had a fabulous, relaxing week. Thank you

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
54.6 km away
Zafiro Palace Alcudia
Zafiro Palace Alcudia
#4 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to OLA Hotel Maioris? Share your experiences!