“Lovely Pub By The Canal”
Review of The Broughton Arms

The Broughton Arms
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Rode Heath
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Broughton Arms is a 300 year old canalside pub with a beer garden right on the canal. Food is served all day every day and most tastes are catered for. Accompanied children are welcome until 10pm and well behaved dogs are allowed in the bar area only.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely atmosphere, great food & especially nice when you can sit outside beside the canal watching the narrowboats go by.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely little pub sat on the canal side so idea for those on a canal boat holiday. Eating area next to the canal so you can watch the boats.

They have daily specials/offers, vegetarian options plus kids menu. I never had a bad meal here.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stopped here on our travels on the Trent and Mersey Canal. We had missed lunch and had had a long day with over 15 canals (they do call it Heartbreak Hill for a reason), so were ravenous. I had the beef madras curry and it was absolutely delicious, it came with rice, naan and poppadom and a mango chutney. My husband and daughter had the burgers, which looked like a good home made burger, no pre-made patties here, they said it was delicious and the empty plates proved this. My son had the chicken fajitas and again the empty plate proved this was a great place to stop to eat.

The only negative was we were sitting by the TV and they turned the volume up so loud we needed to move, which I thought was a bit rude.

All in all though a great stop.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

I used to be a regular at the Broughton. In the 90s my son worked there it was a great pub. It is just a shambles now. We have been there twice recently, the last time tonight.
Previously on what was predicted to 2 days of hot weather in we went. Only 2 bar staff on queing to get served. At one point we counted over 70 glasses on the bar waiting to be cleared away. Today went there for 6, notice on the bar 1 and half hour wait for food. Someone take this pub over,

1  Thank ROYLIND2014
Broughton A, General Manager at The Broughton Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Thanks for your review.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the service you received on your recent visits, although on this occasion I would like to explain why we had put a sign on the bar advising customers of a potential wait on food.

On a sunny evening at the Broughton between 6pm and 7pm we can get 40 tables ordering which is potentially 150 to 200 meals in an hour! Due to the modest sized kitchen (which unfortunately cannot be extended) we like to be realistic and give an estimated wait time on food - we then strive to get all orders out as fast as is humanly possible. If we did not advise customers of a wait before ordering and they were left waiting for an hour the queues for the bar would be much longer due to unhappy customers enquiring about their food and potentially asking for refunds as they have to get the kids home to bed.

How many restaurants have you been to where you were unable to dine at your required time because they were fully booked? Probably lots because when a kitchen is at full capacity restaurants just stop taking customers. As we are a pub we are unable to do that so we simply let people know about the wait so that they can make a choice to wait or go elsewhere if they are in a hurry

I apologise that we had empty glasses on the bar but I will point out that our staff prioritise serving customers then wash glasses as soon as they get a chance, working on the bar can be relentless on hot days, so even though you only noticed two staff members on the bar, the third may have gone for a 5 minute break - we do allow breaks (again, that is the law).

Just to add that most of our customers understand how busy we can be (not only on sunny days) and are happy to take in the beautiful surroundings and enjoy their day/evening.

Carl and myself have been managers at the Broughton for 4 years and are very proud of our hard working team and of what we have achieved in our time here, in the past month we have been the busiest on record and the figurers don't lie! there is no need for anyone to "Take the pub over" as you so rudely suggest - but feel free to send your son in to advise us on how its done.

Had you have taken the time to speak to any of our hard working staff they would have explained this to you.

Regards

Pam Ross
Manager at The Broughton Arms

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Started by telling us that the food offer wasn’t on and then serverd the Person behind us the offer. Then came outside and called I and 3 if my friends “Dirty Basterds” for puting a crisp packet in a glass so it didnt blow away. NEEDS NEW OWNERS!!!!!

1  Thank Hazlar823
Broughton A, Manager at The Broughton Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review the Broughton Arms. Although to investigate your complaint thoroughly I will require further information.

Please can you contact myself in person or via email with the date you visited, the offer you refer too and a description of the staff member you are accusing of referring to you as 'dirty basterds'.

Although we do provide several bins in our outside area, we are usually very grateful to customers who put their crisp packets in empty glasses so they do not have to be swept up at the end of the shift or end up in the canal, in all my 30 years experience of working in pubs this is not a complaint staff have ever made (stubbing out cigarettes on plates when we provide ashtrays 'yes', but never empty crisp packets in empty glasses).

I look forward to hearing from you soon so we can resolve the matter.

Regards