“A high price for poor service!”
Review of Monte Coxala

Monte Coxala
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 November 2017

I don't mind paying a good price if what is being delivered is good food and good service....in fact I love giving service to establishments who have high standards. Some of the food was great....appetizers.....some were "okay".....entrees (a lot $350 pesos and more). The service was HORRID.....a four or five person wait staff, who never looked up from their "posts" (doing nothing other than "not working" ) and did not check back to the table to see if there was anything we needed or how things were. The restaurant had maybe one other table....two at the most....on the level where we were seated, having dinner. The view is amazing.....go for drinks and appetizers....maybe....but that is all! I had asked specifically when ordering for a separate bill (in Spanish). Instead I received the whole bill for our table....which I gave back to get corrected. They forgot things we ordered, which we had to ask for again, and then we also waited for about 20 minutes to get our "vallied" parked car, which we had to ask for twice. All in all....not a good experience. I doubt if I will ever suggest the place for an evening out. Reading the other reviews, it looks as if they have had similar complaints in the past, which, by the service we received, have not been addressed.

Reviewed 19 April 2017

As soon as we arrived the receptionists were not very friendly or helpful. If you're planning to go the restaurant make sure you're ready to wait for about an hour or more to get your food. I had to wait over an hour and half to get a meal at 3:30pm. There was not many people but it seemed as if they only had 1 cook. Went for a soup for dinner and waited almost an hour. Not sure what the delay was since there was only one other couple in the restaurant. Please note if you want to get a TV remote you must leave a deposit. They had a breakfast buffet and some of the food was cold.

1  Thank pattyh042017
Reviewed 13 March 2017

My father just moved here from the US and I have joined him here during the first week. We had stopped in Monte Coxala during daylight hours just for a 'look-see' and were impressed how beautiful and open it was. I also had read the reviews and had the expectation that the food could be hit or miss as well as service, but nevertheless we wanted to experience dining there for ourselves. My experience with my father and a local friend of ours was exactly that: average, hit and miss. Everything with the exception of the environment was very average. Nothing to rave about on the food...good or bad. For my first drink I ordered a Pacifico. They brought it in the bottle, which is how I usually take it, but to not have a chilled glass offered in this upscale environment was lacking as well as the usual sliced limes that most Gringos want with their Mexican beer. I requested the limes and all was well. I had the Tuna with the mustard peppercorn sauce. The sauce was good. The Tuna I had to send back to the grill. It was so rare I could not cut it with the regular knife that was a part of the place setting and it was oozing pink liquid which I suppose is fish blood. When they brought the Tuna back it was near perfect and the timing was good enough that I was able to finish my entree with everyone else at the table. My father had the Filet Mignon and ordered it medium well. He did not ask for it to be butterflied, but that is how it was served to him. The third person in our party had the Shrimp in sometype of orange colored sauce and he was very, very pleased. Initially our table did not have any napkins when we sat down. After we had placed our food orders it was obvious the lack of napkins was not going to be noticed by the staff and I finally requested the napkins. No beverage napkins were ever used either. I did not ask for beverage napkins and assumed they just do not have them or the staff has never been properly trained. I think the issues at this beautiful high end restaurant are just staff training and management. There is more to write about wine service. When we placed our drink orders and asked about wine, all we were offered was Cabernet, Tempernillo, or Sauvignon Blanc. No wine list or offering to expound beyond the three choices. When the bill came, it was not itemized. Just a bill of approximately $86USD for three people. My father who was hosting did not want to make a fuss and just paid, but this simply is not appropriate to just give the customer a total without itemization. New to area and haveing chosen to settle in the Racquet Club, my father wanted to support this fine restaurant in the community, but that will be the only visit. To many other good and fine restaurants in the area that are better value and service.

Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

Without a doubt the worst dining experience I've had Lakeside. Sure the view is nice, so go for a beer. The food is horrible, the service horrible and to top it off, you have to pay for parking. So about me, not a cheapskate or grump. Our bill was outrageous, we skipped desert and stopped at Oxxo for an ice cream on the way home. Never will go back.

1  Thank JCGLORIOSA
Reviewed 17 February 2016

The sweeping view of Lake Chapala in beautiful. The ambiance of the the restaurant is just fine . There end the positives. There were four of us an our meals were uniformly bad. If possible the service was worse. The only possibility of a return might be for cocktails, PERIOD!

2  Thank 210JordanW