Free cancellation until 25/07
US$203
Travelocity
US$294
  • Beachfront
Coral by the Sea(Isla Verde)
Free cancellation until 27/07
Cancelon
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
2,687 results
All reviewsoutback steakhousehappy hourevening receptionmade to order breakfastsan juanchips and salsafree drinksliving roomclose to the airportmanagers receptiontwo blockscomplimentary breakfastshort walk to the beachrum punchcocktail hourpre cruise stayel patio
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Our extended family of nine spent the last night of our Puerto Rico vacation at the Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino. We chose this hotel due to it's proximity to the airport. The rooms were very clean and exactly what you would expect from an Embassy Suites Hotel. The hotel was in walking distance to the beach but you did have to walk a few short blocks to get to the beach. We enjoyed the happy hour but didn't enjoy the very long lines waiting to order the drinks. It was extremely crowded. We arrived earlier than the check-in time due to the fact that we were driving from Rincon. Of course our rooms were not ready. We left our luggage in the cars and went to the beach. This is the fourth property I've stayed at in San Juan. I would return for a one-night stay only. I've stayed at other properties that are actually on the beach and just a little bit more money but if you're a hard-core beach person like me, it's definitely worth the extra money to stay on the beach. There were also a lot of kids here! We didn't use the pool or have the complimentary breakfast. Since a lot of travelers stay here due to its proximity to the airport, I recommend that they serve the breakfast beginning at 5:30 am instead of the 7:00 am! Every staff member any of us came in contact with was very, very nice and tried their best to help.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better and the further from the elevators, the better!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GinnyAlamo
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed at this the Embassy Suites March 29-31. We had a 2 bd/2 bth/1 king/
2 dbl/ 14% resort fee suite. When we arrived the outside staff was very pleasant but it went down hill quickly. I walked up to the front desk and the woman (unfortunately I can't remember her name, she was so personable) didn't even look up from her computer. She said continuing to look down and said "Yes". I told her that we were checking in and she said our room wasn't ready yet. This was about 2:00. She said come back at 3:00. So we just walked around. We couldn't go out to the pool area because you needed a key to get out and in. We decided to eat so we ate at the hotel bar area. There was 2 other tables with 2 each and it took awhile to even get menus. 1 person was working the restaurant and bar area. We ordered 4 appetizers and drinks. After 45 minutes of waiting for apps I asked if they we coming out soon. She said, I'll check. She brought out 3 and forgot 1. I asked about the Fried Raviolis and she said "Oh we are out of those". Whatever. At 3:00 I went back to the desk and the talked to miss nice and she said that our room still wasn't ready yet. Even though keys for other rooms were being handed out left and right. She said come back at 3:30. We once again went and sat waiting. Luckily there are sitting areas in the lobby to wait. Went back at 3:30 and 1 of our rooms were ready. She gave me the key and I asked her to check on the adjoining room. And surprise it was ready. She proceeded to hand me a form to initial and sign for the 14% resort fee and a $50.00 a night incidentals fee and asked for my credit card. I told her that the rate that I paid online included the 14% resort fee. It turned very ugly from there. She said it did not include it so I showed her my paperwork proving it. She took the paper and turned the page and said here it is. Not included. I asked her to show me where it was printed and she kept saying it was in there. She could never show me where it was. I wasn't signing the form and needed to speak to a manager. Another surprise, she wasn't available. She finally showed up and said that it wasn't included in my rate (which it was) and she wanted to make me happy so she would wave it. ($90.00). Which was interesting since I had already paid it. We went up to our room and it was fine for what we needed. We got alittle settled, went down to the pool and then dinner at the Outback. Just like any other.

The buffet breakfast the next day was ok. Walked over to the Walgrens and then onto the beach for awhile. Like others have said, there is an area for free chairs, umbrellas and towels. Nice guy working this area. Then, back to the hotel and took a taxi into to Old San Juan ($23 for 6 people). Walked around and had dinner at Cafe San Juan.

On the way back another guy tried to charge us $30 but I said that it was $23 coming so how could it be $30 going back. We gave him $25.

The next day was checkout. After reading many Trip Advisor reviews (thank you very much) about this hotel with fraudulent issues on that charge cards I decided to go online to my discover account while sitting at the breakfast table. OMG. The hotel had charged us $49.00 a day for the resort fee, $100.00 for incidentals and $267.00 for something that was unexplainable. I walked up to the front desk to speak to a manager. Melvin said "don't worry about the charges they are just on hold". What are they for, Melvin. Melvin needs a course in people skills. Of course, there was no manager around so I said find one. 30 minutes someone would be here. I went back to the table and brought up my account again and everything was in the authorization mode. I called Discover and explained that I paid for my room in advance back in January. There should be no charges from this hotel at all for anything. She transfered me to the Security/Fraud unit. I talked to them and explained the situation. She asked if I was still on the premises and I said yes. I walked back up to the desk and Jose was finally there. I told him that he needed to bring up the charges on the computer and he kept saying "don't worry". I asked what the $267 was for and he just kep saying I don't know. WHAT. I then proceeded to tell him that I was on the phone with the Discover fraud unit and they wanted to speak with him. PRICELESS moment. I quess not many people bring up there credit card accounts while at a hotel. He was told that all the fraudelent charges had gone thru to authorization and they needed to be taken off. While talking to Discover on my cell phone he proceeded to hand me 2 cheap Embassy suites tee shirts and 2 cheap zipper travel bags (which 1 zipper broke the first day).

CHECK CHECK CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD ACCOUNTS IF YOU CAN BEFORE YOU LEAVE THIS HOTEL. Watch what you sign and if you know that your rate included the 14% resort fee which is really crazy anyway, don't initial the box on the paperwork they give you when you checkin. If I hadn't checked my accounts we would have had over $400.00 in charges that were not legal charges when we got home.

Will never stay here again! Rooms were nice and were fine for what we needed. From from the minute we walked into this hotel the front desk staff and bar staff were rude and unfriendly. They really should take a class in people skills. If you don't like dealing with the public then get another job. But from the second they get you in they have you. Especially if you pay in advance with a non-refunable rate like we had. They can treat you however they want which is what happened.

Can't wait for the manager response on this one. It will be a big bandaid to try and cover this up.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank 2bytheshore
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear 2bytheshore:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. We assure you our guests satisfaction is our top priority.

Please contact me so we can further discuss the details of your stay.

Aixa Berrios
Manager

Reviewed 10 April 2012

This is the 3rd Embassy Suite property I have visited. It was absolutely disappointing. I was not able to sleep the whole night due to the musty smell in the room. It is pretty run down and around the property (parking lot and public areas) it is full of garbage left by uneducated people. I have booked it for 3 weeks but I checked out the morning after I arrived and I did not even slept well on that night.

Among the best features it is the cooked to order breakfast and modest casino for gamblers. I don't gamble, so I didn't even go there, but it is there. There is also a Outback Steakhouse here which is pretty nice, but I did not dine in.

I would never stay at this hotel again, I would spend an extra $20 a night and stay somewhere else nicer. I have stayed at Best Westerns which had much better rooms than this property. Extremely disappointed !

Room Tip: Do not pick a room here, look for some other hotels in the area. If you are a Hilton loyal like me, pick the DoubleTree or the Caribe Hilton. They are around $20-$30 extra per night, but it is definitely worth it ! Don't wait until you get here to decide to check out, it may be too late to get a good price somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed at the Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel and Casino for one night in March 2012. It was okay for a one night stay but I would not recommend it for any more than that. The only thing that I thought was particularly nice about this hotel was the pool area. It has a beautiful pool area with a great area for the kids. They also provide (as part of your $25 resort fee) use of free inflatables for the pool. I didn't think this hotel had particularly good service. The check-in line (at 11:30pm) was extremely long and slow. The desk clerk was nice enough and accommodated my request for a room as far from the atrium as possible because there was a live band playing in the lobby and I was travelling with a child who needed to get some sleep. If you are not familiar with Embassy Suites, you should know that just about all of the rooms on every floor open up to a large atrium and though it's nice enough to look at, it allows you to hear noise from every single floor and the lobby because of the open set-up. When I made my reservation, I requested a crib for my child and I also mentioned it when I checked in, but it took quite a while to get the crib. I had to call down to the desk to ask for it again. My room rate ($199 plus tax & resort fee) also came with parking but no one at the front desk mentioned anything about parking to me, and when I asked about it, they (a) did not give me complete information and (b) seemed like any annoyance to them. Finally, we planned to eat in the lobby restaurant before checking out of the hotel, and I asked the bartender for a high chair. She said she'd get one and then never moved a muscle to actually go grab one, so after 5 minutes of standing around, we left. It didn't really leave a nice impression on my whole experience. I would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed here for a Spring break vacation with 2 adults and two older teenaged boys. We booked this hotel for the close proximity to the airport considering we had a flight that departed before 6am. The location was ideal for us, as we spent time on both the east and west sides of the island. Airplane noise was not an issue at all. Unfortunately this was not completely the case due to a band playing two of the nights we were there. We were exhausted from touring the island and was looking forward to getting an early nights sleep, but the band was so loud that we couldn't even hear the t.v. The other night the band played was even louder and we were not able to get to sleep until it ended. It was a very short night for us as we had to get up at 3am. Also, it seems as though one of the local frogs had taken up residence in the atrium. The frogs can be very loud and we listened to his intermittent noise throughout the night.
The cleanliness of the hotel is above average. Our room as well as public areas were kept clean and the housekeeping staff did a very good job with keeping us stocked with towels.
Other pluses include the use of pool towels, delicious breakfast (get there early), tasty drinks and snacks at happy hour, and the use of towels, umbrellas and chairs at the beach. We found the entire staff to be friendly. We enjoy staying at Embassy Suites because the room layout works well for us. Our two sons each have a bed and their own t.v. and we take the pull out couch in the living room with our own t.v. The pull out couch was too well used and we had to pull out the mattress each night to sleep on the floor. Our sons did think that their beds were very comfortable. We ate at the Outback Steakhouse and had no complaints. We had steak and burgers and they were all cooked properly and tasted very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room so that you will not hear the noise if a band is playing late at night. Otherwise you cannot hear the general talking and noise from the casino in the rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family