“Feel like your in Jurassic park”

Grutas de Calcehtok
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Maxcanu
Reviewed 19 December 2015

This place was pretty amazing. One of the most impressive caves I have been in anywhere. Guide really spoke no English but we got along alright. The sheer size of this is what makes this so unique. We did the simple family tour. Parts were slippery so wear good shoes. They provide headlamps. Our guide pointed out parts of the longer tours. Looked like a lot more crawlingso I would be prepared to be dirty.
Lots of bats in here, as in probably any cave. Pretty neat to see them hanging but if they really creep you out you maybe should skip this.
Entering this is like a scene from a movie set, so much to look at and makes you feel so small.
Outside of all the ruins and some beaches to visit in this area this is a unique experience. It cost us like 300 pesos, just over perhaps. Not bad.

3  Thank WidthAdventures
"maya"
in 5 reviews
"path"

Reviewed 19 November 2015

This is a great experience the guide was extremely knowledgeable and turned a great visual and sensory experience into an enjoyable learning opportunity. Would highly recommend.

1  Thank Glynn P
Reviewed 30 August 2015

One of the cenotes there is seems like an island under the ground, very genuine not that full of tourist and surrounded by local country life.

3  Thank Carolina S
Reviewed 13 August 2015

Now this is one cool attraction, going into the bowels of the earth, seeing where water and geological shifts changed the rocks, seeing where indigenous peoples lived, prayed, hid and died was awesome

Tip, take a large powerful flashlight with you, the headlights the guides issue are ok but a little dim for long range sighting

3  Thank John B
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 July 2015

I don't know what else I can say that hasn't been written. We went today with 2 twelve year olds for the 2 hour adventure tour. Thank you to all who have posted that it was now referred to as X'Pikil. I put "Oxkintok" into google maps. I followed the directions mostly to Oxkintok, when we turned onto a lonely road, there was a sign for "ruins" and one for "grutas (caves)". We followed the sign for "grutas" and went about 1/2 a mile up a semi-rough road. Honestly, it was not that bad, we've been on FAR worse roads going to some out-of-the-way cenotes in Playa Del Carmen. At the end of the road was an encampment with a bunch of people hanging out. We paid $600 pesos for the 4 of us for 2 hours. Victor and his son, Victor Jr (age 10) were our guides. He doesn't speak English but I speak limited Spanish and he told us a lot of things about the history of the caves, the animals that lived there, the minerals, etc and was so kind an patient with us. It was a crazy 2 hours - much more strenuous than I thought. A lot of sliding, going up ropes, down ladders and on your stomach through very tight spaces. I was going to bring water but honestly, you need 2 hands to hold on and you don't have room for a backpack. It was fine for the 2 hours. We even left our keys with the guy at the information booth as we didn't want to risk losing them (and I'm glad we did!). As all others said, we basically just threw away the clothes at the end of the trip. They were pretty destroyed but we knew that ahead of time, so that was fine. I really hope you take some time to go there. It was an easy 1 hour trip from Merida and easy to find using all the tips off of Tripadvisor and even if we took a wrong turn or two, we would have easily found it on attempt #2 or #3. It was worth it and more!

4  Thank Kana B