“Challenging Adventure”

Grutas de Calcehtok
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Maxcanu
Reviewed 5 May 2016

The reviews here helped significantly prepare me for the challenge of this adventure. I LOVED it. I went twice within 10 days and had just as much fun the second time. I was a bit more prepared the second time. Wearing pants or capri's that cover your knees was HUGE! (wore shorts the first time - but you do a lot of crawling around on your knees in the tight spots.) We had Victor as our guide both times. (his oldest son Rueben came with us the 2nd time) I spoke Spanish - so that helped significantly. He speaks Mayan and Spanish.
We chose the 2hr. Adventure. It has some tight spots - some of which we had to squiggle through on our bellies. Don't bring anything with you. We locked our belongings in the trunk and gave the car keys to Victor. (he carries a small pack) I put my iPhone down my shirt or in my back pocket - depending on the way we were maneuvering through the passages. I had a life proof case so it worked well. You will get totally muddy all over, (some sliding down slippery, muddy rock surfaces on your butt) but that was all part of the fun! There is no running water - but we just washed our hands and arms with the bucket they had there and used old towels to sit on in the car.
I got some good video of coming through the small passages - but don't think I can post video here. I will try to do it on their FB wall perhaps. This adventure was only about $10 each for the 2hr tour - Which If they had anything like this where I live - it would be much much more! Tip your guide generously. (sometimes they wait for weeks to get a customer) They are there and open every single day... just waiting for the next adventurers!
The Caves we did was the X-pukil. Not the Oxkintok. They are close in proximity though. On the last road in to the area you will see signs for Oxkintok going to the right. Keep going straight and about 2 km up the road is the x-Pukil Caves. We met a group at this intersection & they didn't look dirty enough after doing the Oxkintok caves - so we opted for the X-Pukil ones. Definitely the right choice for us!

2  Thank Lori G

Reviewed 31 March 2016

great place, the cave is huge, the 4 hour tour is amazing, you'll end up tired and thirsty so bring water and some snacks so you can have a bite when you finish exploring the cave. it is not recommended for people with phobias as the places can be really tight, with warm air or cold air and you'll find a lot of bugs and bats. nothing dangerous but some people may be scared of the little animals. the tour is just amazing and ultra-cheap. the guide will take you to really amazing places

Reviewed 26 March 2016

You pay the guides in the parking lot. I am unsure if there are guides that speak english. We went there with our own guide, but the guys who work there still go with you.

Reviewed 19 December 2015

This place was pretty amazing. One of the most impressive caves I have been in anywhere. Guide really spoke no English but we got along alright. The sheer size of this is what makes this so unique. We did the simple family tour. Parts were slippery so wear good shoes. They provide headlamps. Our guide pointed out parts of the longer tours. Looked like a lot more crawlingso I would be prepared to be dirty.
Lots of bats in here, as in probably any cave. Pretty neat to see them hanging but if they really creep you out you maybe should skip this.
Entering this is like a scene from a movie set, so much to look at and makes you feel so small.
Outside of all the ruins and some beaches to visit in this area this is a unique experience. It cost us like 300 pesos, just over perhaps. Not bad.

3  Thank WidthAdventures
Reviewed 19 November 2015

This is a great experience the guide was extremely knowledgeable and turned a great visual and sensory experience into an enjoyable learning opportunity. Would highly recommend.

1  Thank Glynn P