“Great set up!”

Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benner
Reviewed 30 September 2010

We traveled to Secret Harbour to attend a destination wedding. The wedding party arrived on 8/23 from a cruise ship for the day. We were at this hotel since 8/20. Our stay started off shaky because we rented a beachfront one bed suite and they initially tried to give us a studio. When I said I reserved a one bed they offerred me a 2 bed for one night until my one bed is ready. Was told AC broke.
The next morning, after having a pleasant night at the blue moon bar, I found Ric the Manager. Initially Ric and I did not hit it off. I just wanted to know when I could get my real room to unpack and relax. Ric told me my room will be ready when the occupants leave. This story did not jive with the story from the night before with the broken AC.
Ric promised to get back to me and looked into how he could help me. I have to give him credit. I asked for a complimentary dinner for the confusion and he came back and gave me a dinner and refunded through my Expedia account one night stay. Thanks Ric.
My wife and I loved our stay. The property is private and the people who work here are the nicest. We enjoyed every meal and every moment hanging out at the bar or beach. We are planning to stay here again. Maybe in Jan or Feb.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MikefromBuffalo

Reviewed 28 August 2010

Some good things about this resort-
1. The beach is very, very nice. Not overly crowded, nice and sandy, chairs and umbrellas included. Towels were also included. Not many cruise ship visitors.
2. The Blue Moon restaurant is expensive, but the food was very good as was the service. The view is great.
3. The pool is nice, but would have been nicer had it been kept cleaner. There were always a lot of dead and live bugs floating at one end of the pool and once there were iguana droppings on the border between the whirlpool and the main pool.

Now the rest:
1. You should know that these are individually owned suites/rooms so they are not decorated and updated the same. We saw two rooms and neither bore any resemblance to each other or the nice rooms shown on the website.
We were put into the wrong room at first, room 135 which was not the beachfront efficiency we reserved. Room 135 was VERY hot, had weird stains on the refrigerator, broken tiles in the bathroom, low quality furniture, just run down.

2. We were moved to a beachfront efficiency, room 111, after speaking to the front desk. This was the only beachfront room available. This room is directly across from the bar so it barely qualifies as beachfront.....more like barfront.
Almost the entire front of this room is glass, which would be nice were it not in front of the bar and if the curtains were sufficient. The curtains consisted of several panels not sewn together so there were big gaps in between when you closed them. We had to use paper clips to keep the curtains closed so that everyone in the bar couldn't see into our room. The curtains also stood away from the window at the end leaving another gap; we had to push the curtain into a big hole between the wall and the window because this gap was next to the head of the bed.
The bed was hard and there were only 3 very thin pillows. By day 3 I woke up aching.
The room had some updates, such as wall and shower tile on the bathroom and wall tile in the kitchen. The tile was nice looking.
The grout in between the floor tiles was nasty dirty, especially around the toilet (yuck).
The toilet itself looked clean but smelled like an old gas station toilet.
The shower set up made it next to impossible to stop water from spraying out onto the floor and therefore there was orange mold on the floor outside the shower.
The closet doors need to be painted. They were dirty and stained.
THE AIR CONDITIONING WENT OUT our last night there. We called the front desk, but no one came to fix it.

We spoke to the front desk about the room and were told it as the only one available "on the beach". We also spoke to them when we checked out about the fact that noone came to fix the AC and how we just didn't feel we got our money's worth. They finally located a manager (after at first telling us there was not one on duty that day). The manager made sure she had our contact information and promised to contact us the next week about a partial refund....we never heard from her or anyone else. We had to complain to AAA to get any resolution.

Long story short, nice restaurant and beach but subpar rooms for the price.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank imcatgirl71
HVRGM, General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Hello Imcatgirl,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your thoughts. I very much welcome the feedback. Please accept my apologies for the condition of the units you saw and for the lack of response in regards to your AC. Certainly this is not the type of experience we endeavor to provide our guests. I will look into the lack of responseivess to resolve your concern about the AC and a discount. It it of utmost importance that guests feel they received value for their money paid.
Also, please know that our owners are in the midst of upgrading many units, including 111 and 135. Also, by the end of the year, we will roll out our all new Resort bedding program, inspired by the upscale programs of major hotel brands such as Westin, Sheraton, Hilton and Marriott. I know it will add comfort and a WOW factor for our arriving guests.
I hope to welcome you back when your travels next take you to beautiful St. Thomas.
Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2010

My dad and I just returned from a trip to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite at the Secret Harbour, Room 513. Overall, it was a great trip. The Secret Harbour resort (SH) was a nice, private, quiet resort. Keep in mind that we arrived at the beginning of their slow season though. The SH resort is NOT a high end resort, so if you're looking for a large resort with high end amenities, don't go to the SH resort. The SH resort is small in size and staff, but it was really nice and private. That's what I liked best about it.

One of the things I really liked at the SH resort was that their beach was clean and the access to the water was for the most part a sandy bottom (as opposed to rocky like at Sapphire Beach and many other beaches on the island). I heard visitors to our beach complain about beach access all over the island. They loved the sandy bottom at the SH resort. Their complaints made me feel like I had made the right choice. It was also a private beach so you didn't get the cruise ship travelers that much. I only noticed one day of cruise ship travelers. Another thing that was great about SH resort was that there was decent snorkeling right off the beach. There is a coral reef right off the beach, so that was pretty nice. Also, there is a dive shop (Aqua Action) right on premises that can help you with snorkeling/diving equipment, lessons or booking sailing & fishing excursions. I would definitely book a sailing excursion if you go. It was fantastic. I also took a beginners diving lesson - It was 2 hours long with a 1/2 hr reef dive right off the beach. That was my favorite thing of the trip. Very safe dive and it was a great starter lesson for your first time. Finally, the Blue Moon cafe is excellent. It's beach casual for breakfast and lunch and then they bust out the fine china for dinner. You don't have to dress up, but it is a fine dining feel. Breakfast, lunch & dinner were all excellent in terms of taste.

Now for the negatives:
Food is expensive at Blue Moon, but I think food is generally expensive at all the resorts. I spent about $250 bucks for myself eating 7 meals while I was there -- That's a $35 dollar average per plate. Breakfast was a $15 average, Lunch $20 average and Dinner anywhere from $30 - $50 plates. But food really is excellent. I can at least say that you got tasty food and good service.

Taxis can be expensive. And they charge per person. I paid $20 to get to SH resort upon arriving. I paid $35 to get back to airport to go home b/c we left early in the morning. A taxi to/from Red Hook - just a mile away will cost you $10 round trip ($5 each way).

The room is average. It was clean, but not luxurious. I paid about $350 a night for this 2 bd/2 bath suite, so I didn't expect anything high end. Keep in mind that SH resort is a time share resort. The condos/suites are owned by other people and SH resort maintains the property & keeps the rooms clean. Its the owner's responsibility to renovate and furnish. Rm 513 was good though. The view was beautiful. The decor was beachy and bright. I was more than satisifed.

Also keep in mind that if you do get a 2 bed/2 bath suite, it will be an oceanview suite, not a beach front suite. You have to walk a little bit to get to the beach, but its really not that bad. The 2 bed/2 bath suites are up on a hill, so you do get great views of the bay -- spectacular views as a matter of fact. The 1 bedroom suites are right down on the beach, so you have great beach access if you go that route. The 2 bedroom/2 bath suites are pretty spacious. I was glad that I opted for that.

The beach is small but nice. The beach employees keep it pretty clean. Watch out for the Iguanas. DO NOT EAT on the beach. The iguanas will not hesitate to jump on you to get at the food. They are not shy at all. I witnessed one guest get scratched up by one trying to get at her food. Just eat at the Blue Moon and you'll be fine. The staff doesn't allow the iguanas up there.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank kimb0ramb0
HVRGM, General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2010

Dear Kim,

Thanks for staying with us recently and for your kind words. I'm pleased you enjoyed your visit and that we were a part of your memorable visit to St. Thomas.

We take a lot of pride in our work and appreciate positive remarks like you have shared. I hope to see you again when your travels next bring you through St. Thomas USVI.

Best,

Reviewed 24 August 2010

My girlfriend and I just spent a wonderful 8 days here at Secret Harbour. It's a nice quiet resort nestled on a lovely little cove on the far eastern side of the island. We stayed in room 611 which is up the hill from the beach. I was a bit apprehensive about what the condition of our room would be after reading about some people's experience here with run down rooms but our room was in excellent shape and well appointed with a large new fridge.

Our king size bed was great. I've read reviews where people complained about their bed but ours was great, and I had a great night's sleep on it every night. Maybe we were lucky and had a newly renovated unit with a new bed as well. Who knows? All I know is our room was more that satisfactory, and quite homey/cozy.

Our experience with the front desk ladies on several occasions was nothing but pleasant. They were welcoming, friendly and helpful.

We initially picked the ocean view (as opposed to the ocean front) because it was cheaper, but after actually being there and seeing both I would still choose a room on the hill again regardless of cost. Firstly because the rooms up the hill have a much more expansive view of the beach and the harbor and islands beyond. Second because of privacy. The patios on the ocean front rooms lie literally right on the beach, with a sidewalk (and people) running right in front of your room. I can fully understand how that could be desirable to some people, but we prefer a little more seclusion. To each their own. Our patio was elevated about 8 feet above the walkway, which in our 8 days there I never heard nor saw anyone walk on/by.

The beauty about this kind of resort is the kitchen in every room. We loaded up the Jeep on our first day at the Food Mart supermarket that's a mile or two before the resort on Route 32 (a.k.a Red Hook Rd.) and had coffee and ate breakfast every day on our patio and enjoyed the amazing view.

We did eat dinner (and sometimes lunch) out every day, and we ate many meals at the excellent Blue Moon Cafe restaurant that's attached to this resort. The food here is wonderful. The best food we had on St. Thomas by far. Even if we weren't staying here we would have made the trip for this restaurant alone. It's THAT good.

Since it was the off season we got a really good package deal with airfare via expedia.com.

Wonderful resort that I would definitely stay at again if we ever go back to St. Thomas.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank winexprt1969
HVRGM, General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2010

Dear Winexprt,

Thank you very much for your review and for the kind words. We routinely share these remarks with our staff and I'm sure hearing about your experience will brighten the their day! I'm happy that you found your guest suite comfortable. It is common for us to host guests from neighboring Resorts for breakfast and dinner; I think word of the excellent cuisine at Blue Moon is getting around!

I look forward to hosting you again when your travels next take you to St. Thomas.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 23 August 2010

We didn’t really want to stay on St. Thomas. We had loved it when we honeymooned there over 40 years ago, but when we returned for a day visit about 15 years ago, we found it too developed and too busy for our tastes. So recent trips to that part of the Caribbean have been to St. John and to the British Virgin Islands.

However, we needed someplace to pause between our non-stop flight from home to St. Thomas and our favorite BVI spot, and we decided that rather than simply overnight we would spend a few days on St. Thomas. We had read about Harbour Beach Resort, and it sounded as if it might be our kind of place.

It was.

Secret Harbour is on the East End of St. Thomas, so it is far from the bustle of Charlotte Amalie. It is close to the ferry hub of Red Hook which has the well stocked Marina Market and a variety of restaurants (including Molly Malone’s where we had a very enjoyable lunch) but is otherwise a quiet small town. Red Hook had all that we needed since our goals were to relax at the resort, prepare our own breakfasts and lunches, snorkel, and take a day trip to St. John,

And the resort turned out to be all that we had hoped for and then some. As surprising as it is to people that we talk to about our Caribbean travels, it is not easy to find hotel rooms right on a beach with calm water for swimming and snorkeling. So we were delighted to find that only a low wall and the sand separated our room from the turquoise water. That is not true of all of the rooms, so if your taste is like ours, make sure that you confirm your room location when you book. Of course, you may prefer one of the many other rooms that are beachfront on a second or third level.

The Blue Moon Cafe that adjoins the resort is not what one might think of as a “hotel restaurant.” Rather it is an excellent restaurant that happens to be right at the resort. Food and service are top notch, and prices are fair for such good quality. Like our room, it sits right on the beach. We found no reason to stray from the premises for dinner.

Straying would have been costly because a taxi to Red Hook would have been $5 per person or $20 round trip for the two of us. Charlotte Amalie would have been $12 per person or $48 round trip. We did not rent a car because we did not plan to wander around St. Thomas. But as others have commented, a car looks like a good choice if you plan to explore and don’t mind driving on the left on winding, hilly roads. I had thought from looking at maps and at the distances involved that walking – to another resort or beach or even as far as Red Hook - might be an option. But after hearing from a local that “You could walk, but I wouldn’t” and considering the hills to be climbed and lack of sidewalks or shoulders on the roads, we decided against it.

The palm lined beach and the water are lovely. We are avid snorkelers. The snorkeling at Secret Harbour was just enough to avoid disappointment but nothing special. The weather during our late June visit was unusually cloudy and rainy, and we knew that we would have good snorkeling when we got to the BVI, so while we enjoyed ourselves on St. Thomas and were able to get enough time in the water between cloud bursts, we did not pursue other snorkeling possibilities there. One that sounded good was an eco-tour with kayaking in the mangroves and snorkeling at a nearby cay. We signed up for that, but backed out when weather eliminated the snorkeling part.

Our condo was very attractive and comfortable. Kitchen equipment was extensive, and while did not do any serious cooking, we appreciated the blender and toaster. We would have liked to have been able to sleep with just the ceiling fan and fresh air, but keeping the ground-level sliding door open didn’t seem like a good idea, so we opted to use the efficient air conditioning.

Our only venture into Charlotte Amalie came at the end of the trip when our ferry from the BVI left us in town on the way back to the airport. It was a Sunday morning with no cruise ships in port, so almost nothing was open. We left our luggage at the ferry’s taxi stand and walked along the harbor to brunch at Bumpa’s, a very informal cafe, up a flight of stairs across from the harbor. We enjoyed some tasty dishes at a breezy table with a view. That ended a trip to St. Thomas that was very different than what many experience and very enjoyable.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank caribmike

Dear CaribMike,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your kind words. We are very proud of our beach and Resort. Blue Moon Restaurant is indeed a very nice restaurant that serves excellent cuisine in a beautiful and comfortable atmosphere.

I will share your kind words with our team this week, and I'm sure your remarks will brighten their day! Thanks again and I hope to see you back soon,

Ric Pomeroy, CHA

Also consider these accommodations in or near Benner
3.2 km away
11.9 km away
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Secret Harbour Beach Resort? Share your experiences!