“Low cost base in Budapest”
Review of Baross City Hotel

Baross City Hotel
Ranked #118 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Excellent value base giving easy access to all of Budapest. We combined a Jet2 seat sale from Leeds with a discount on Hotels.com and Resort Hoppa to produce the perfect low cost 4 day City Break.
On arrival we were offered a smelly room on the 5th floor which we declined. The helpful receptionist then gave us the keys to a 3rd floor apartment which was spacious and had a fully equipped kitchen, tv in the bedroom and living room and a large fridge freezer! Breakfast was a bit hit and miss - usual continental fare with cheese/meats/cereal and pastries + scrambled egg and budget hot dogs.
The hotel is directly opposite Keleti Palyaudvar station, which is a fantastic structure built in 1881. More importantly, you can buy a Travel Ticket at the Metro station here which gives you 72 hours access to all of the public transport - we mainly used the M2 Metro which covered most of the places we wanted to go in Budapest. Trains are about every 4 minutes and you can travel anywhere in just a few minutes - just flash the pass at the train inspectors as you go down the underground. Bargain at about £20. Used trams to connect to a few places in Buda but usually found the buses to be heaving so we avoided.
Hotel area is a bit seedy - the whole of the railway frontage is undergoing renovation. There are some nice bars and restaurants nearby though - about 3 doors down from the hotel there is a sports bar which sells perfect Dreher chilled beer (it's famous) for less than a pound a pint. A bit further on we found the Hussar restaurant which produced brilliant Hungarian food at bargain prices - the head waiter speaks perfect English and recommends whatever is on special offer, but they have a have a large a la carte menu. One of the more famous restaurants (Carmel - Hungarian Jewish) was nothing like as good ie overpriced. It was supposed to be non Kosher but we were told we couldn't have smoked goose because the Rabbi wouldn't bless it and the goulash soup was thin and watery.
One restaurant I would heartily recommend is the Alfoldi Etterem which was superb. The goulash soup was delicious - a meal in itself and you get these fresh scone like things to go with it as well as superb bread. We had trouble polishing off the main course after the starter and couldn't manage one of the superb sweets on offer. It was very cheap as well! If it's full when you get there you can find a number of reasonably priced restaurants nearby.
One thing I will mention is the Budapest Miasma - we first smelled it in the declined room at the hotel and then at several points while touring the city. Somebody needs to look at the drains!
The hotel is very popular with youth groups so could be a bit noisy at night.
A shopping must is the central market (near the river) which has a selection of delicious sausages and cheeses and lots of little cafes upstairs serving Hungarian specialties. We will have to go back as lots of things we didn't have time to see. We actually came back with lots of spending money which is unusual.
Met 2 women at the airport on the way back who had stayed at the same hotel and walked everywhere. It took about 45 minutes to walk into the centre so you would have to be very fit and get up early!

Room Tip: Avoid 5th floor if possible - sniff the bathroom before accepting the room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PGTipsWhitby

Reviewed 12 April 2012

But I agree with other TA members about the better rating. Besides the great proximity to the train station, the other big attraction was price. The photos and reviews from prior guests made us believe this hotel was too good a value to pass up (thank you to those who posted before me!)

So we booked for three nights in early April. I am glad we did.

First, the cons. The view - there is no view, except to a courtyard that is nondescript. The entry - the whole block is under construction, so as soon as you walk out of the hotel you are faced with temporary wooden walls about eight feet high. The neighborhood - not the best neighbors, but certainly safe enough for my ten year old daughter and I to walk back to the hotel after a busy tourist night downtown. The proximity to tourist sites - Budapest tourist sites are mostly near the river, and this hotel is about a half hour walk from the river. Check in is on the fifth floor of the building.

The pros. The walk to the river is enjoyable, with a lot of nice architecture and nice shops from time to time. The value - at under $50 a night, the value is a screaming buy. Rooms - good size, very clean bathrooms, and the shower had the best water pressure of the six hotels we stayed at on this vacation (including a few more than triple the price). Free breakfast - better than average, especially the meats and cheeses. Service - friendly and helpful, consistently with all staff. The building - nice architecture. The location - for Keleti train arrivals or departures, you cannot get a better location. Also just one block to stop number seven on the HOHO bus. Sleeping - comfortable beds (nothing special), quiet location at night with windows open, nice natural room temp in early April (we did not use heat or AC).

I wanted to give this hotel a four and a half because I prefer to save fives for "spectacular hotels", but considering the complete package, especially location and value, I had to nudge it to five for the price alone. I wonder if the incredibly low price was due to the construction outside - by the way, we never heard or saw any construction noise, just the barriers.

For $50/night, two-bed-room, I would be very happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank IntrepidFromDC
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Given the bargain price I expected this maybe not to be the best. We were visiting Budapest more for business than pleasure and didn’t intend to spend much time in the hotel so thought we would see what we could find at the budget end. I was really surprised by how nice this place is. Clean, big rooms with a nice comfortable bed and a pretty good breakfast. I should imagine it could be noisy as we could occasionally very clearly hear other people talking from our room. That said, there weren’t any noisy people around when we wanted to sleep. The staff were every bit as polite and helpful as in much more expensive hotels. If you’re not looking for luxury but a perfectly nice place to spend the night this is a great deal. Oh, and an excellent location for the main Keleti railway station.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ciaran K
Reviewed 12 January 2012

When I was looking for a hotel to book in Budapest, this ones name suddenly popped up in front of me with a special offer. A room for 4 people for only 39 euros a night. Without thinking twice, I jumped and booked the room for two nights.

Cons:
1) If you are one who likes a nice scene outside your window, this is not the place for you.
2) Initially when entering the hotel, from a door located within what can only be described as a market, you get this uneasy destitute feeling that makes you hold onto your knife a little tighter. (feeling gets dispensed as soon as you enter)

Pros:
1) The foremost quality has to be the service. The staff at the reception is undoubtedly the friendliest, most helpful staff I have ever come across. From helping us with print outs, to taking out maps and marking out exactly where we should go and how.
ex - I asked the reception for help with a ticket to Vienna. They went out of their way to help me and even went onto various web sites to find the best offer available to us.
The girl at the reception was the winner amongst the winners (if such a thing is even possible). Extremely friendly, extremely helpful.
2) Location: situated a stones throw away from the Keletsi Rail Station. On the main road which has all the metro stations on the Blue Line (I think). Within walking distance from the city centre.
3) 4 people slept in a room comfortable. Room was massive.
4) They cleaned the room diligently every morning.
5) The vicinity has every facility from supermarkets to eateries and restaurants. And don't even get me started about the amazing number of friendly bars situated all over the place.
6) The breakfast spread was marvellous. They had a huge variety of cheese, bread and croissants to chose from. Served alongside were various juices, milk, and coffee/tea. The best part was that the breakfast went on till brunch. For young people like me, who are busy burning the midnight oil on the streets and pubs of any city; the prolonged breakfast spread time is a blessing.

All in all... If I ever get back to Budapest, this is exactly where I am going to stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank PreetTyagi
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The only reason we booked this hotel is its proximity to the Keleti train station. We had a 6:00 am train to catch the next morning, so we wanted something close and convenient. It is literally a 2 minute walk to the Keleti, so if you need a place for just one night and need to leave from the Keleti early the next day, the Baross Hotel will do.

The building is a very old apartment building that has been renovated and now is a hotel. I would say it's actually a cross between a hostel and a budget hotel with just the basics. It's somewhere between a 2 and a 3 star establishment.

I'm reminded of the old saying: you get what you pay for. While our room was big and the bathroom was fine with a shower stall and lots of hot water, I'm convinced the beds were made of concrete with a sheet over it. It was a painful experience trying to sleep or get any rest on the hard slabs they try to pass off as beds. While I notice some reviews said their rooms were well heated, ours was not. In fact, it was cold and we had to ask reception for someone to turn the heat up. While the bathroom got nice and toasty, the bedroom area never really warmed up. There was obviously a leak somewhere in the bathroom as after a shower, there was a lot of water pooled on the floor on the opposite side from where the shower was.

When we first arrived in the room, we were amazed to find absolutely no towels, toilet paper, or soap in the bathroom and had to ask for all these.

There was a tiny kitchen area with a fridge, microwave, dishes, silverware and coffeemaker but no sink. There was a smaller flat screen TV with a lot of channels including CNN and I will say that the young lady at the reception desk was very friendly and helpful. Too bad I can't say the same for the big guy who worked the night shift. Management needs to give this guy some training on behavior towards guests of the hotel, including his demeanor when entering a guest's room to help solve a problem!

Breakfast was not too bad -- it's a buffet style with scrambled eggs, a few cold cuts, veggies, cheese, yogurt, bread, rolls and some pastries, and the to-be-expected coffee from a machine.

Although being close to the Keleti train station was very convenient, I would probably not stay here again. I would rather stay in a hotel for a little bit more money where I know they have comfortable beds, the rooms are warm (in winter), carpeting on the floor, and I would take a short taxi ride to the station the next day.

If the beds had not been so horrible, this place would be fine for an overnight stay. Of course, if you like sleeping on blocks of cement, then you'll love it here!

Room Tip: Reception is on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family