US$151
Cancelon
US$453
RitzCarlton.com
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 March 2016

Today, thinking of our Jan. 2007 five night stay, I looked online to see how things had changed. We added Uhu (owl) Villa in a package, flying from Frankfurt to Budapest and taxi to the Villa. It was great to see it was indeed away from the city noise with the tram right out front to the city. But the hill, oh my. I walk with a cane and there was no way. I know, I tried one night. The cab driver was furious to get us for so little fare. No answer at the Villa. Our room more than made up for it. While we were disappointed the restaurant was closed, our European breakfasts were filling and a delight to this 2nd generation Hungarian visiting her Mother country the first time. Our hosts were fantastic, even setting up a visit to a famous stable for a moonlight carriage ride. Not only did we run on into the moon, I was asked to join the driver, as I own a carriage business in Florida. He handed me the reins of his big, black team of Hungarian Nonius horses, my cape and hair flew as their shod hooves sparked on rocks in the darkness. Never could I have done this in a hotel near the city and the Uhh will take the honors for giving me a visit I can still hear and feel some 9 years later. We didn't mind the shared computer, it was a delight to have WiFi. We had wished the pool had been heated in January but the sauna was perfect after a day sightseeing. We loved it and would come back to stay, but rent a car this trip.

Stayed: March 2016
1  Thank HorseSister
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Uhu Villa was the perfect spot to spend my birthday and relax. The hotel (it's a big old house) is gorgeous inside and out, sits immersed in the forest covered Buda Hills and features a friendly and enjoyable staff. It's not far removed from the city, but frankly that wasn't the focus of our trip. Our trip consisted of leisurely walks around the area, relaxing in the pool/sauna, and included food and wine focused evenings. I will find time to visit again some day.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scott_Melcher
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I have stayed in Uhu Villa for a long weekend in the begining of October. The hotel is indeed very nice and very neat. Price was quite ok (+- 47€/night) but no breakfast included. Customer service is very good and all staff is very helpful and friendly. Rooms are very comfortable and big.

Location can be an issue. I knew that the hotel was not in the city center but don't really mind that if it's well connected to the city. Problem is that you have to walk 15min in VERY STEEP roads untill you finally get to the hotel/tram. Tram passes every 10min or so, so no prob there. I thought it wouldn't be a problem for me but it actually was quite inconvenient. Specially if you come from the center in one of the last trams at midnight or 23 and have to walk on those dark roads sorrounded with mostly woods. It's tiring and very spooky at night.

When we would return to the hotel at night (around 23, midnight) we have never seen anyone in the reception; only one time in an earlier evening. There was even one day that we were asked the keys of the room in the morning and at night when we arrived we had to take it ourselves from behind the reception desk as no one attended our calls. (Maybe they should place one of these "carpet bells", that sound when you step on the carpet.)

Last (but not least) is that I made the reservation in EUR on the website of the hotel and then was charged HUF at check out. This caused a bit confusion because when I checked my bank account I noticed I ended up paying more 11€ then expected.

- very neat room/hotel
- very friendly staff
- good price/quality (about 47€/night -no breakfast)

- far from the tram (you have to walk about 15min on steep roads)
- reservation was made in EUR and was charged HUF at check out ( I ended up paying more 11€ then expected)
- reception desk at night should have more surveillance

If I go back to Budapest I would stay at Uhu Villa again if I have a car, but walking and using the tram no.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank diana09brussels
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Uhu Villa is a charming hotel located in Buda Hills area. To get to it you have to drive up along a winding steep green alley, which is alone almost the "Sleeping Beauty" experience. The hotel is very picturesque and boasts Budapest vistas from the second floor. The building is dated cir. 1920s and has a true charm of a country side villa: green lawns with sitting areas, cypresses & pine trees, indoor pool & sauna, and open & closed verandas. It is very well maintained and has a very attentive and cordial staff. The reception is open from 8 to 20, while security personell is there 24/7. Veronica at the reception was very helpful and spoke excellent English. She steered us to many great sight seeing locations in Budapest and also recommended to order food from the local restaurant "Full House", which served the most delicious Hungarian meals. If you have an opportunity, please try their food. It is absolute best at a very affordable price.

We booked a two bedroom suite with two bathrooms, balcony, and a kitchenette with a large refridgerator. The price was excellent. The rooms were spacious and air conditioned. The bathrooms were clean and in good shape. Our one-year-old enjoyed a very comfortable crib. WiFi Internet connection was available in the room. The suite had two TV sets with a number of Hungarian channels. There was only one English channel, which was not a problem for us, as we spent a lot of time sitting on the balcony, enjoying the views and sipping wine. The kids liked to play on the lawn in the backyard. For all dog lovers, there were two sweetest golden retrievers on the premises who kept a respective distance if you did not welcome them or engaged into play if you did want their company.

The only disadvantage of this hotel is the location on a rather steep hill. The tram stop is located at the foot of the hill, but in order to get up the hill you need a car or could use a taxi (which is not that expensive and very reliable in Budapest) or you could do it on foot (you have to be in a good shape for that). However, this disadvatage is also an advantage in disguise, because the location of the hotel makes it ideal for a secluded, picturesque, and tranquil vacation. You can go out and enjoy vibrant Budapest, but then return to Ohu Villa and be in the oasis of peace and serenity. No wonder that Ohu Villa was included into Michellin 2010 list of best hotels. We liked it so much that we extended our vacation by another day.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank elenan23
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed for 4 nights on a leisure break in Budapest and were delighted with this haven of luxury and comfort. The refurbished rooms/suites are fabulous, very comfortable and excellent value with their special deal. The staff were charming, premises spotless and there is even a swimming pool and sauna on site. The building is an old villa with history, sympathetically modernised for the new century. As we had a car, secure and free parking was a key consideration and here the Uhu excels, the city centre being barely 15 minutes drive away if there's little traffic.

I've been travelling to Budapest very regularly for years and to my knowledge, this hotel is a one of a kind. The additional journey to the city centre by car or tram is well worthwhile to experience the boutique feel and seclusion the place offers. Thank you, we will be back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple