“Best meal of our visit by far”
Review of Monk’s Bistrot

Monk’s Bistrot
Ranked #79 of 3,650 Restaurants in Budapest
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Booked at short notice by phone for a Sunday evening. We could probably just about have got in without a booking but can't honestly see that situation continuing given the quality. Restaurant is in its third year and is located in part of an old monastery that was attached to the nearby church, hence the name and the slightly off the beaten track location. I liked the relatively minimalist conversion as it results in a modern but relaxed atmosphere whilst still retaining some of the old building's features. They have gone for a variety of seating options, a small area outside in the quiet side street in which the bistro is situated, some traditional tables inside, higher tables in the window and along the side plus a chef's table around the central open kitchen. Along with a small fire that separates the street level entrance area from the lower main area it generates a very relaxed ambiance.
Staff were very welcoming, efficient and helpful. We ate there before an evening boat trip on the Danube and were unsure of how much time we needed to get to the quay. One of the staff took details of our booking, checked them on the relevant website and then advised us on how to get there and how long we would need.
Location and staff are all very well but pointless unless the food is up to scratch and the kitchen staff did not disappoint. They advertise as traditional with a modern twist and I would agree, but you still know that you are in Hungary and not just some faceless restaurant that really could be anywhere. The menu isn't enormous but provides a good range of about six dishes in each course plus two or three specials. All of us (Four) thoroughly enjoyed the different dishes that we chose. The portions are a good size but not the daunting platefuls that you can get at some Hungarian restaurants. It is obvious that the menu, or at the very least the specials, changes quite regularly as I didn't recognise many of the dishes that others mentioned in recent reviews. Whilst that probably isn't a factor unless you're in Budapest for months I think it shows that the chefs are keen to produce different dishes and not just churn out the same menu day after day.
The prices on the website are an accurate representation of what you will pay. Taking everything into consideration I would have to say that it is extremely good value compared to other restaurants in Budapest.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,343)

Reviewed 22 June 2018

I went here with my mom and dad for dinner. The service was lovely and the food beautiful. Our starter was delicious. Each of us got a different main corse. My dad's lamb was well cooked and tender. I got a pork dish which was also well cooked. Everything tasted good and wasn't too expensive for what you payed for. My mother's dish was perhaps the weak link. She got a chicken dish with polenta. The chicken was thicker in the middle, making it not evenly cooked through out. That being said, it was still tender and moist. Overall, this is definitely a good food choice for Budapest. Outside seating is lovely, and food is good. We would definitely come back.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

The food's not terrible, though a bit overpriced for what it is, and the decor's chic. But the waitstaff is beyond rude and unpleasant to a woman dining alone.

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

As I said above food looks great but lacks real quality, I had a rib eye steak whilst the other ingredients on the plate complimented each other the actual meat was bland and flavourless.

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

I had to choose between 4 or 5 circles but the dark chocolate infused strawberry gazpacho blew my mind so 5 it is.....the black cod rartar was ok. The lamb was better then that and super tasty. Waiters are nice, the place cozy, recommended!