US$122
US$130
US$209
US$193
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$225/night.

US$247
Cancelon
US$535
Corinthia Hotel Budapest(Budapest)
US$416
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewsszimpla kertapartment locationgreat locationgreat apartmentkazinczy streetavant gardec unitwashing machinejewish quarterclean apartmentssecure parkinggreat holidaybring earplugsbig bathroombars and restaurantsone bedroom apartmentfully equipped kitchen
Reviewed 2 May 2018

My partner and I do a lot of traveling. Currently we have been traveling nonstop for 9 months so we’ve stayed in a lot of different types of accommodation around the world.

We paid just over 300 a night for a one bedroom serviced apt. with Avantgarde and for that price, we expected quality. Sadly, we did not get it.

More surprising to me are the good reviews that Avantgarde receives. This makes me ask: were we taken advantage of by Avantgard? Because surely people writing good reviews for this place did spent as much as we did for the experience we had.

Check in started off challenging. There are no obvious signs for Avantgarde on the street so we parked and walked till we found the door. The office is upstairs and there is a push button for the office to let you in. During our 4 night stay, we had to help other guests find reception. It would be helpful to share this information with guests before their arrival.

The entranceway is unremarkable and you have to feel around for the light switch as the stair area is very dark. Check in went smoothly as the staff are friendly. You get the fob for the parking gate from reception. We drove by the parking gate a few times before finding it (there are three on the same road very close together) as again, there isn’t a sign. When we finally got to our apt., we were both underwhelmed and surprised to see a room that didn’t look anything like the photos and in fact, was less than satisfactory.

The walls are plain without decoration. There was a firm couch, no comfy chair. There was a table and 4 chairs for the dining area. The kitchen has a stove, sink, microwave, coffee maker, and fridge. The faucet for the sink was very loose and almost falling out. The coffee maker was filthy and despite running hot water through it three times, we couldn’t clean it.

The bathroom has a narrow tub / shower combination with a lowgrade shower head pointing towards the back wall so you have to run the shower at half pressure for it to fall on you and not hit the back wall. There was plenty of hot water. The tub had an awkward folding plexiglass wall which was mouldy and leaked. We used the bathmat to clean up the water and couldn’t get another unless we paid extra as they charge for extra towels.

In the tub/shower area, there was nowhere to put your shampoo or washcloth (bring your own because they do not give you one). There are no hooks in the bathroom but there is a heated towel rack. I had no hairdryer until the 2nd day. The cover plate for the washing machine was broken and hanging off the washer. Several tiles were missing grout and there was filth and mould in corners. I did a review on booking.com and attached photos there.

The AC worked well but there was only one remote for two units. The queen bed was hard and creaked with every turn. We had one small thin pillow each and a smaller one as an extra. We each had a single duvet smaller than what we’ve received at other places. The linens were not high quality. We stayed at a place the next night for 50 euros and received better (softer) linens and (larger) pillows. There was a lot of storage but inside the cupboards we found dust, hair and dirt. The treads on the closet doors were coming off and hanging off to the sides of the doors. There were 5 hangers.

My husband spoke kindly to the reception staff about these issues (we forgot to mention the sink faucet). They were very apologetic and said they would send someone to do repairs and would contact management to see what compensation we could get. The management sent us an email offering us 10% off our next stay, which we found absurd. We were not satisfied with this stay, why would we ever stay with Avantgarde again?

I personally found Avantgarde to be too far from places I wanted to visit and unfortunately, public transport wasn’t always useful. However, if you enjoy walking, then you won’t have an issue. There are plenty of places to eat and grocery stores close by.

The final thing I want to mention is the noise. We arrived on a Thursday and stayed 4 nights. Every night, the partying and noise level on the street went till 4:30 - 5am; and then at 6am, there is clean up. I wish I was exaggerating about the noise, but I am not. Typically a good sleeper, even I couldn’t sleep through the noise (with earplugs). People would come home (4am) late and were quite loud in the hallways. I noticed other apartments in the same building have shutters so I am confused why there were none on our windows. I do not blame Avantgarde for the noise but I do blame them for the lack of sound proofing and the absence of shutters.

Both my husband and I feel cheated and somewhat foolish for thinking we’d get a quality stay for the money we paid. I am deeply disappointed with the Avantgarde management (not the reception staff). I really hope management does not make excuses and apologies below b/c they come too late.

I have given as fair and objective review as I can and can only hope that my review will help others from making the same mistake we did.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wendie G
endrekutassy, Front Office Manager at Avantgarde Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Dear Wendie,

First of all, thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your opinion. It helps other travelers and also us to improve. Let me just give you the answer for every point you mentioned. For every booking we send out the confirmation email which includes the exact address with detailed information to help the guests find the place more easily, the location of the reception is also included with all the other necessary information about us, and the parking as well. About the lights in building, they are automatically turning on, but only from the afternoon when it gets dark outside. But if you need the light, there is a light switch on every level. As the apartments are located in a residential building, we are not charge of the lighting, unfortunately.

About your problems with the apartment, we are very sorry that you felt uncomfortable. We tried to fix everything you wanted as soon as possible, because we wanted you to have a good holiday here and a good experience. We have plenty of apartments in building, and of course, not everyone of the looks the same. As you can only book the type of the apartment not the actual one on the photo it is not guaranteed that you will get the exact one. But the facilities are the same in every apartment, only the decoration may differ.

I think it was a misunderstanding with the extra towels, because we always give them free of charge, when the guests come to us for extra or new ones. Maybe you mixed it with the cleaning, because if you are staying with us less than 8 days there is no free cleaning during your stay. But of course, if you need new towels or toilet paper, we can always provide it for you. About the shampoo, as we are self servicing apartments, we don't provide these things in the apartment, however we give you a small bottle of shampoo/shower gel.

Because we are located in the city center, on a street where are a lot of bars and restaurants, the street can be crowded and noisy during the night. But we have more quiet apartments in the back of building. If you were bothered by the noise so much, you could have just come to us and ask for an other apartment, and we would have been happy to help you, but you only mentioned the things you wanted to be fixed in the room, so we did not know about this.

Besides these things, we hope that you could enjoy your stay in Budapest, and hopefully in the future we will have the chance to accommodate you again, and to prove you that we provide great service to our guests, as it was really not our intention to cause you any inconveniences.

Reviewed 26 April 2018

The hotel is in a great location, 100 meter walk to the bus station. The room was big and clean. Staff were friendly. I don't know for other hotels but there you can leave your luggage even after check out.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rid_021
endrekutassy, Front Office Manager at Avantgarde Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

Dear 'rid_021',

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write a review about us. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay here and were satisfied with the service we provided. We'd love to have the chance to accommodate you again in the future!

Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

I visited Budapest with my family and stayed here. The apartment sad great, two bedrooms, bathroom and another toilete, big and hood equiped kitchen, dining room and nice living room. Very clean with friendly and helpfull draga. Location is excellent, close to the city center and all important sightseeing points. Value for money!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
endrekutassy, Front Office Manager at Avantgarde Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2018

Dear 'jasminakafedzic',

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your opinion with other travelers as well. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us in Budapest. Thank you also for mentioning great things about our staff. We would love to accommodate you again in the future!

Reviewed 11 April 2018

Family of 2 adults and 3 kids, got there via booking, and found just 2 very narrow double beds. The staff was quite ignorant and we hardly got just one additional pillow!!! No extra bed or babycot or even a blanket!!

On the other hand the rooms very spatious and clean, and the location is very interesting and worth visiting for young couples and groups. We paid 20€/night for the garage place, 50m from our room. One night the garage was locked and the key didn't work, so we lost 30 minutes circling, until somebody elso opened the door.

Although they run the business with many apartments, I find the service very dissapointing for this property.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
endrekutassy, Manager at Avantgarde Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2018

Dear Prodavac,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experiences with us! I'm terribly sorry that you weren't satisfied with our receptionists. Please, let me explain to you a few things, which may help you understand better our point of view too.
You booked a One-bedroom apartment, which means you had a double bed in the bedroom, and a sofa in the living room, which can be made into a double bed. A one-bedroom apartment can host four adults and one child, who is under six years old, and sleeps together with the parents. That's why we couldn't provide any extra bedding - the apartment itself has a limitation. Of course if you have had requested a babycot, I'm sure our staff would have provided it for you. To prevent situations like this, I'd recommend to book a two-bedroom apartment if you stay with us next time.
I'm happy that at least you were satisfied with the location and the apartment itself - we are truly in the heart of the city. I hope that these few problems did not cast a shadow over your stay with us, and you have nice memories about Budapest.

Kinga Konecsni

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Avant-garde apartments during my visit to Budapest. The apartment was perfect size for 4 adults and was clean. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Great location as quite central and directly opposite the Szimplica ruin bar.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
endrekutassy, Front Office Manager at Avantgarde Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Dear Kishan,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to give us a feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and were satisfied with the facilities of the apartment and the location as well. It's nice to hear that you've found our staff nice and helpful! Hopefully, we can accommodate you again when you decide to come back to Budapest.