“Mediocre food, awful service.”

Rae Restaurant & Cafe
Ranked #66 of 1,160 Restaurants in Tallinn
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2017

We went here on our first night in Tallinn. The food was nothing special but the service was spectacularly ignorant! We sat with finished plates and empty glasses for 20 minutes while the 3 waiting staff stood chatting in the square. Not once did they look and scan the restaurant to see if anyone needed anything. Throughout the entire time we were there not a single one cracked a smile. Not the nicest introduction to Tallinn.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Had a nice meal in the square of old town Tallinn. The food was good without being special - didn't match the surroundings which were lovely. They could cancel the license of the Spanish minstrels that interrupted with Ballard which were out of place and poorly performed.

Heading elsewhere tonight for our meal.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

To be honest, I am impressed how good it was. We've had a snitzel with french fries and fresh salad. The portions were big enough to feed us. The service was outstanding and added something special to our visit. All in all, I would strongly recommend this place for tourists, as well as for local citizens! You won't regret, trust me

Reviewed 29 July 2017

Raekoja Plats is a little bit scary area to eat for celiacs. There are a lot of tourists and restaurants and the doses can get confused with each other. The Rae restaurant waiter was very friendly and cook professional and they knew celiac well. If the clock had not been so much and there had been fewer customers, I would have dared to eat here because I got very good service from the staff. Now we just exchanged the hot food to cold Cava and it was a good choice too. Blankets and heaters on the terrace are really good when the weather is not so warm.

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Open seating outside, quite pleasant. We ordered 2 breakfasts with no changing the menu, all very straightforward.
The food came, EXCELLENT! But I had the audacity to ask an apparently annoying question to our waiter Kristjan, "Do the street merchants except EU money for their goods?" I admit to having a brain dead moment and I felt safe asking our waiter, I knew he would have the knowledge and it seemed like a fair question to ask at that moment. He sorta flew up in the air with his response like you stupid cow of course we do...we have been in the EU for yadda yadda yadda, no he didn't call me stupid or a cow but be might as well had. Here is an opportunity to offer education to a tourist not admonishment. I should have known the answer, and I should have just questioned a merchant. This would have been the end of the story except he never gave me the time of day again and I had to send my traveling companion on her way to meet up with our group because I knew we would end up late. I could run she couldn't and I WAS late
In the end it has become a funny story so I will just thank Kristjan for the future entertainment of this situation. Everyone has a bad moment, but I feel I cannot give a higher rating to this meal.

1  Thank maruke57