“Informative and useful”

Ranked #35 of 83 Tours in Riga
Reviewed 12 April 2015

I decided to take a tour because the museum of occupation was shut for renovation. It was a useful short trip One can take the trip of the old town or Alberta iela (the art nouveau district). I took the trip to the old town The guide gave the history of the buildings and was nice to know about the buildings I had been walking past the last few days. The guide took me to through the buildings, the black magic bar, the medieval restaurant which and inside a few other buildings and churches which I would other wise have hesitated to go inside. She also recommended places to visit and eat at the end of the tour and it was an over all friendly and fun way to spend a few hours.

Reviewed 7 March 2015

Went to the tour as we thought it would be a good way to see the city and get our bearings. The guide was prompt and explained the day. Took us around a few sites and explained, did this with a bit of humour. I would say only downside is the amount of time we spent in a coffee shop at the start. This became more apparent when later that afternoon when wandering we found some amazing places which we were close to earlier but did not frequent. Saying that, it's a free tour and was good.

Reviewed 31 December 2014

My friend .and I went to Riga for a short break just before Christmas. We decided to do the free walking tour on our first day. We met at St Peters church at 11am. The tour lasted about 2 hours. Our guide spoke excellent English, was very friendly and was extremely informative. He told us about the history and architecture of the city and also about how life had changed for him after Latvia became independent in the early 1990s. At the end of the tour we were given a complimentary glass of Black Balsam and our guide Tom gave us some suggestions of places to eat and things to do. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone arriving in Riga, it's a great way to get to know the place. The tour is mainly outdoors so if you go in winter as we did MAKE SURE YOU WEAR PLENTY OF WARM CLOTHES! There is no fee but a donation to the guide is well deserved.

2  Thank MaggieHYorkshire
Reviewed 10 December 2014

We were in Riga with our study group of 50 people. Everybody were satisfied with the length and the contents of the tour around the Old town. Both guides spoke excellent English and gave interesting and useful information about the city’s history and buildings. We could definitely recommend the tour organized by Riga Explorer's Club to anyone.

1  Thank Inispinis
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our first visit to Riga was enhanced by the excellent walking tour of the Old Town by Mihail. Charming and well informed we liked it so much we went back for the specialist 'Art Nouveau' tour in the afternoon. That was fantastic and such a revelation - extraordinary buildings but you need a good guide to find them. Riga is European Capital of Culture this year - make sure you go.

1  Thank Paul66-47