“Just great ”

Ranked #689 of 1,071 Restaurants in Riga
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Description: The origins of Kotay are in the spring of 2000, when its founder, at that time only a graduate from high school, loaded suitcases and moved his country from Latvia's coolness to Thailand. Already on the first day after arrival, I faced the extremes of the local culinary delicacy and spell, our hero promised himself that he would never be different from them. Never, never. She spent the next 12 years crossing Asia across crosses, and greed for exotic was finally pleased. It was time to satisfy the desire of Latvia. Already on the first day after returning, faced with the persistence and inertia of the Thai cuisine of the local dining establishments, our hero decided to fight against this culinary injustice. In summer 2012, the first Latvian authentic Thai cuisine restaurant Kotai was opened. Thanks to the authenticity of the ingredients in the dishes and the professionalism of the staff trained by the Thai cooks, the specialties offered by Kota really taste exactly as they should have been painted. These are sharp. They are gentle. They are charming. At the beginning of 2014, instead of enjoying the unique taste of Asian noodles, you never sat down and read this story. Order securely and we will bring!
Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

I can recommend this restaurant to anyone. Fast and very friendly service and the food was more than tasty try the pork dish and you will not be sorry ✌

Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

Lovely restaurant visited twice when in Riga food was very good and very reasonably priced ,the staff were friendly would definitely visit again

Reviewed 5 February 2017

Please read my profile for my biases.

Rarely have I seen a more polarizing set of reviews on TripAdvisor. In fact, when I first tried to review this restaurant it was listed as closed, although a Google search showed it as open. It bothered me so much that I had to go back, and it appears it is now called the Garden Restaurant, although the Kotai sign is still up.

I arrived in Riga by bus, and as I was walking my way to the hotel I passed the restaurant where a cute young woman was outside to bring the restaurant to the attention of passersby. I told her that I might be back, and I was surprised when awhile later I ended up passing the place again and she was still out there (it was about -4C).

I thought it was worth a look. This restaurant features some Latvian dishes as well as Thai food, which is a strange combination. In any case, I just wanted something light and the thought of soup was appealing, so I went in.

I had the cabbage soup bread bowl, and it was good. Others have complained about horrible service but I thought the service was fine (I was waited on by another young woman who ended up having duty outside when I was done - they apparently work in 30 minute shifts at the door).

The cabbage soup is a traditional Latvian dish, although serving it in a bread bowl is unusual. It was fine and hit the spot.

So, your experience may vary. I am usually wary of restaurants that have to have touts outside to draw people in, but in the case it worked out. I don't think I would return for the Latvian food but if I am ever back in Riga and need a quick lunch, I'll probably stop by to give the Thai food a go.

Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

Looks good from outside, but then when get there, service incompetent, hair in food, not fresh, looks poor, waitress not giving attention to customer. Please don't go there! Just disgusting!!! Horrible! Seems they not doing good, if changing restoran name so often...

Reviewed 29 October 2016

I liked this place so much that I went four times in five days! It offers both Thai and Latvian food; both were delicious and the portions were big. The staff are friendly and welcoming and speak excellent English. The service was quick and efficient and I was offered a free shot of Balsam blackcurrant liqueur each time I ate there. Although the weather was very cold, it was possible to sit outside because they have large heaters, which made it comfortable.