1,077 results
All reviewsthe buscentral marketold townhalf boardairport stopsmain roadlobby barnice hotelair conexcellent locationbars and restaurantswalking distanceminute walkbooked this hotelshort breaksuperior roombreakfast and dinner
Reviewed 11 March 2008

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Avalon at January. The hotel is situated at a perfect placement. There are railway and bus station near the hotel, so you can reach Jurmala for example (by train). Our room was very convenient and had modern furniture.There were no problems with bathroom.But I was disappointed by hotel restaurant, when someday I went down downstairs for lunch I was said that the meal was finished. I was greatly surprised by this answer. So I went to the nearest restaurant named Pomodoro.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2008

I booked this hotel trough Booking.com.
And stayed there from 9-11 of february.
Good placement of the hotel, cleanliness, quality of the rooms and size is great!

The service could be much better, the taxi they ordered for me ripped me off. I have been writing to the hotel in email about it and asked if it is possible to give this taxis name to the police, and they they do not answer me!!
Do not let the hotel order taxi for YoU!!!!!! The taxi was 15 minutes to late, and charged more than double the standard rate to the airport if you use an 8001313 taxi! And even if you had coosed an taxi directly from the streets You would have paid 8,- euro less or cheaper for the taxi! the taxi number was TX-6038 a grey maxitaxi do avoid this taxi!!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank svharkes
Reviewed 4 February 2008

we stayed at the Avalon hotel for 3 nights and have nothing but praise for it, it is in a perfect location just on the edge of the old town great rooms good breakfast and friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank debar56
Reviewed 20 November 2007

I found the hotel staff friendly, the room nice and the location excellent. My showerhead experience was similar to previous reviewers.

I found the breakfast better than some others have done: there was everything we needed for breakfast, coffee was reasonably good and there was enough fresh fruit. However, I'd encourage them to add signs by each dish on the content.

The next time in Riga, I'll likely stay at Avalon again.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarkkuOulu
Reviewed 18 October 2007

On one of my frequent visits to Riga I decided to try out the new an modern Avalon Hotel at the edge of the Old Town, right across the Train Station and Central Market. From the outside, the building itself is cold and uninviting, somehow not fitting into the silhouette of the Old Town.
Location is as good as any Old Town Hotel, everything is just steps away (I can highly recommend the Restaurant Pomodoro just around the corner from the hotel - THE best pizzas on the globe!). The lobby is nice and modern, but also rather cold. A nice touch is the 'outside' elevator with nice views over the atrium lobby.
I took my parents along for this 2-night trip, so we booked 2 suites. Upon arrival at round 2 pm on the first day we where told that our suites would not be ready today, since a group of tourists from Iceland had virtually 'destroyed' the rooms the previous night. We where given 'Junior Suites' instead (which turned out to be regular rooms) for the first night with the promise that our suites would be ready the next day at 2 pm latest. We went back to reception the next at 3 pm and guess what...the suites would be ready between 4 and 5 pm. So we went for a short nap before hitting the town again and low and behold, the suites where ready at 4 pm.
The suites where nice and spacious but they had a few flaws (as did the regular rooms), like showerheads that are too heavy for the brackets holding them up, missing lightbulbs, etc. However, we didn't notice any major damage in the suites, like we where told at the beginning, so I guess they where just oversold (I work in the tourism industry, so I know how 'these things work'). The breakfast buffet was just about the worst I every had in any hotel worldwide and not even worthy of 2 star hostel (ICEcold food, minimal selection, awful coffee), 'fogget about it'...
And BTW, ask for rooms in the back, because the front of the hotel is quite noisy (trams, traffic, etc.)
Want to know more about Riga? Don't hesitate to contact me...

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family