“Perfect”

Ranked #26 of 45 Restaurants in Picton
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood, International, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: The Chartroom Restaurant specialises in a relaxed, casual dining experience, featuring international fare created with the freshest of local produce from this exceptional region. The wine list offers a taste of New Zealand's wine-making excellence. Perfect for a pre-dinner beverage is the charming, on-site Boatshed Bar.
Reviewed 24 March 2017

We had eaten here before and were disapointed Not this time , What a huge improvement. The staff very friendly . Service excellent. Food fab we both had 3 courses couldn't fault a thing. Very good choice on the menu Had my cheese board for lunch the next day. Portions generous. We really enjoyed and will recommend . We will be back. Well done new manager.

Reviewed 19 February 2017

Chart Room restaurant is part of the Picton Yacht Club Hotel. Had dinner in our room, fish and chips. We were assured the fish was local catch and it was delicious. The chips were cooked to perfection and the aloi sauce was to die for. Overall a great dish with two nice pieces of fish and a good helping of chips and salad.

Reviewed 7 November 2016

We have enjoyed lovely meals here but sadly not this one. Bread and dips too much bread for amount of dip etc. Fish like cardboard steak chewy, potatoes yummy. Menu selection very limited compaired to what it used to be. Chef offered to cook another fish for me I decided against. On the positive side the apple & date crumble was devine. Ice cream also. We thoughly enjoyed our merlot. Staff very nice .

Pictonyachtclubhotel, General Manager at Chart Room, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2016

Dear gleny_8

My sincere apology that you experienced such a disappointing meal in The Chartroom Restaurant, and I thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

We are soon to (in the next two weeks) launch our new summer menu and with our exciting new kitchen team. I am unsure if you are local or from another region, and likely to return to Picton. If there is opportunity for you to visit Picton, perhaps you would consider dining with us again.

Again, please accept my apology for your disappointment.

Trish

Reviewed 6 November 2016

This place could be really good but had the feeling of being under new management, which hadn't yet settled in. On the plus side: excellent pumpkin soup to start; very nice piece of steak to follow (slightly on the rare side of medium rare); wonderful apple and date crumble; friendly and attentive staff (let down by communications problems); good view over the harbour. On the negative side: some confusion over our drinks order (they checked that I was having the Merlot, when I'd ordered a beer); my wife received two visits from the waitress saying her first choice, then her second choice was not in stock - eventually informing her that only one of the 5 white wines was actually available; we had to remind them about a side dish of sauteed garlic spinach (which had no garlic in it. Perhaps the kitchen was not under the level of stress required to up its game as there were only four covers when we were eating.

Pictonyachtclubhotel, General Manager at Chart Room, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2016

Dear Peter D,

Thank you for critiquing your dining experience in the Chartroom on your recent stay with us and I offer my sincere apology that your dining experience was not up to par.

We are looking forward to the arrival of kitchen and bar staff whom are scheduled to be with us very soon, their expertise and creative flair will certainly enhance new restaurant and bar menus which we plan to introduce.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Trish

Reviewed 15 January 2016

The Chart Room is a restaurant open to the public within the Royal Yacht Club hotel.
Nor a huge amount of covers, and a limited menu. However, the dining area is very attractive, and well lit, with a variety of nautically themed items. There are three outside tables. As usual in NZ, pleasant front of house staff.
Selected a starter (entrée) and main, with accompanying wines.
The starter was good (lightly toasted breads and dips). Very good rack of lamb (4 ribs) to follow. It came with a sauce, which here was poured over the dish in advance. I don't know if this is typical in NZ, but in UK it comes in a separate sauce boat.
A decent Pinot to accompany and better value than the Escape to Picton.

1  Thank TormodMM