“Cute building, rude service”

The Villa Backpackers Lodge
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cute building, rude service”
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I found the premises quite charming especially looking at the house's exterior. It almost reminded me of Santa's North Pole home. The rooms are ok in terms of cleanliness and set up - not the best out there. The showers and bathrooms are shared. There are two kitchens, which helped with the crowd control, but unlike other hostels, this one didn't even have salt on the shelves, and the knives are very dull. My bone of contention with this hostel is the fact that reception is awful. Right after checking in, I went back to the desk to ask where the bathrooms were, and the receptionist was getting someone checked in, which can take a while. My was a quick question not requiring a lot of brainpower or effort to answer, but when I asked it, the receptionist snapped at me "don't you see that I'm with a customer!" That was not professional or courteous, and I do hold it against this place, which is in competition with other places that offer just as good if not better services. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank alicevarren
VillaPicton, Owner at The Villa Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, 1 June 2011
There is never an excuse for poor service, not even if the guest is paying a minimal amount. Peak season in March does add some extra strains and I regret our guest felt hard done by. Sheer weight of numbers in peak season does mean we can miss things like blunt knives etc.

My Manager and I appreciate being advised of any shortcomings straight away as we then have a chance to put it right at the first instance.

I do struggle to understand how someone can walk past two sets of bathrooms from whichever approach to Reception, and outside Reception there is a site map on the wall displaying all facilities...to make it as easy as possible for all.
Happy travels always

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 6 April 2011

the hostel is in great location close to the i-site. it's design is very villa like, it's little units with dorm rooms and shared bathrooms,and tables outside on the grass where you can chill out and eat or read. nice hot pool (jacuzi) that is usable at night as well for those who like that. cute tv room, but a little old and not updated movies.pool table next to the tv room.
only thing that really bothered us was that there were many flies in the kitchen...
a few parking spaces right in their parking spaces, and the rest are off street.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
columbia, maryland
Reviewed 9 March 2011

We are retired Americans in our 60s and this was our first backpackers experience. We loved it! A van met us at the ferry and the desk staff were extremely helpful. We had reserved a private ensuite in advance. It was very clean, functional and even had fresh flowers in the room. The Villa is an old, gracious house that has been tastefully restored for the current purpose. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and there is an inviting, verdant courtyard where you can read, hang out or socialize.

Good location. You can easily walk everywhere in town. Staff helped arrange tours and bus pick ups. Cheerful kitchen, internet access and laundry facilities.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank max'smom
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2011

The write up for thus place left me expecting a little more than I saw when I arrived. The staff were friendly, it has a nice garden area at the back, good kitchen and living room area but it felt a little old and rough round the edges. There seemed to be a but of a lack of bathrooms too.

• Stayed January 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 January 2011

My partner and I stayed a night in the Double room.
First impressions of reception were kind of shocking. We arrived in the middle of another customer complaining to the reception staff about worms in the water at treetop!? Not the best start.

The decor was a bit repulsive with a small hand basin beside the bed, dark carpet and the bed coverings weren't reassuring in cleanliness as they were dark and patterened. I like my accommodation covers to either be plain and/or to be light in colour. It assures me that they are clean and relatively new.

Also, the walls are thin and there is a lot of movement around at night. So best to take your earplugs with you as we did.

As far as good points go, I would probably say that the best part of the Villa was the Bakery next door to it. Yum

For $65 a night and compared to backpackers lodges I've stayed at for the same price, this place is not value for money.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
VillaPicton, Owner at The Villa Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, 22 April 2011
It is always good to have someone take the time to review your property...and even better if you can have the chance to respond if there may be a negative element.

The Villa is a grand old character home, over a 100 years old with a personality all of its own, not a brand new, homogenised accommodation facility with no soul. In the peak of the Summer season, packed to the rafters it can be busy and obviously the decor may not be to everyone's taste but is all colour co ordinated ...the sheets are even light coloured.

As far as 'worms in the water at treetops' goes, Treetops is another Backpacker on the Queen Charlotte Track, many kilometres away, the reviewer must have come into a conversation about the persons walking trip. It is hardly fair to blame us for something completely unrelated to us.