“Delicious Asian fusion brunch”
Review of Kyirisan

Kyirisan
Ranked #450 of 3,533 Restaurants in Washington DC
Description: Playful and inventive cuisine, friendly service, and a hip neighborhood vibe, we strive to delight, comfort, and sustain our guests every day and for every occasion at Kyirisan.
Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

We love to mix savory and sweet when it comes to brunch and Tim Ma hit the nail on the head with this one. So many choices but we ended up with the vanilla custard bao and the doughnut holes for the sweet; and the pork belly hash and egg basket for savory. Perfect balance and we didn't leave feeling overstuffed - just right!

Located in a cute neighborhood and sleek, modern ambience. Service from Kyle was great. Can't wait to come back for dinner.

1  Thank AFoodieDMV

Reviewed 27 February 2017

We dropped in for brunch over the weekend. We started with chicken wings and donut holes... an unlikely pairing, but we were hungry and it was 1:30p. I don't know what they put in their wing sauce, but damn! I usually don't like messy wings. I prefer dry and crispy and dipping, but I would gladly go through a roll of paper towels to eat a plate of these wings!. We all ordered something different and there were no scraps left. I had the homemade hash and we also ordered the croque madam, the congee and the panko chicken sandwich. The sandwich was dee-lishous! The drink list is fun and there is a good selection of beers and wine. Our only complaint was the undercooked applewood smoked bacon.

1  Thank dcmonkey
Reviewed 19 February 2017

We were two couples who hadn't seen each other in awhile and wanted to catch up. We are all adventurous foodies with no issues paying the price for a wonderful dining experience. We thought the menu sounded creative and interesting so we gave it a try.
We soon gave up on much conversation as we could barely hear each other even when leaning over the table and raising our voices! We tried to laugh about it, but this really impaired our enjoyment.
We decided to try the "Dealer's Choice" cocktails - you choose a spirit and some flavors and they create a cocktail for you. Sounded great but none of us found our cocktails to be exceptional, and they were small and cost $15 each.
The menu listed about 20 items under the title "Dinner". Nothing was marked as "appetizer" or "small plate" or "dinner portion" so we assumed that each entry was a dinner. We ordered the crispy whole fish, the scallops and the confit squab. All were absolutely delicious and interesting. The fish was a normal dinner portion, the scallops came in a small soup bowl with 4 scallops over risotto. The squab was one 3"x1" piece of breast meat and a 3" long tiny leg - about 4 bites of meat accompanied by about a dozen tiny cubes of veggies. Without any rush, we were done eating in about 5 minutes.
When the server asked us how our dinner was, we expressed that we were shocked at the tiny portions. We appreciated that the manager came right over and explained that the top five items were "appetizers", the middle items were "small plates" and the few at the bottom of the list were actually "dinners." WHY doesn't the menu make this clear?? Very classy that she apologized and sent a new dinner (great noodles) and another scallop bowl to the table for the 3 of us to share. We were still hungry so we ordered 2 desserts, both of which were larger than our dinners!
We were familiar with several of the wines on the list and could see that the bottle price was 3 times retail.
Yes, the food was delicious, but for $175 per couple I'd expect more than one small cocktail, a glass of wine, and several tiny portions of dinner and a dessert. And the crazy loud room prevented any meaningful conversation.
Fortunately it was a nice evening, so we left early and walked around the neighborhood so we could finally talk to each other.

1  Thank ElizabethandDan
Reviewed 10 February 2017

Kyirisan is a bit hard to describe. It is a lovely restaurant with sweeping high ceilings and very modern decor. I wouldn't describe it as "warm" as it is a but chic and Spartan, but all beautiful. The staff are professional and attentive, but a bit pompous. They are well informed and quick to offer suggestions. The menu is quite eclectic. There are limited choices, and all are very unique spins on standard fare. The dishes are all beautifully presented and are all very complex in taste and design. As I said, very hard to describe. I would have preferred a broader selection of wines by the glass. Desserts were excellent. Pricey, but worth a visit.

1  Thank yecats59
Reviewed 23 January 2017

The most wonderful date night experience! Everything from start to finish was excellent!

Husband and I decided to celebrate our 5 year marriage anniversary at Kyirisan. We have been to Water & Wall before and love it, so we wanted to give Kyirisan a try. Margaret has always been nice to us at W&W and we were thrilled to see her being the manager at Kyirisan. We perused the menu online and were sold on the various options, especially desserts.

The menu is organized by three categories - in the ground, on the ground, and under the water. We got items from all categories. Neither of us is a fan of tofu, but Margaret convinced us to try the deep fried tofu. The black pepper sauce elevates the dish and made us love the tofu. We then moved on to the wings, offal salad, and the sous vide duck confit. The wings have a mild kick to them and taste excellent. The offal salad is not for everyone, but I loved it considering my love for organ meats. The chilli tamarind brings out the flavor. The sous vide duck confit with caramelized brussel sprouts is spectacular with a faint taste of burnt orange.

The winner of this meal is the scallops in coconut risotto wth basil ice cream. The medley of flavors in this dish is just brilliant! The risotto is perfectly prepared and when you blend in the basil ice cream, it adds another dimension to this already wonderful dish. Can you tell I loved this dish? ;)

The cocktails deserve a special mention. I went with the Raybans and Boatshoes, which reminded me of summer on this cold dreary winter day. I then switched to vesper martinis, which were expertly made. Husband had vodka martinis, which he enjoyed. The plates deserve a special mention here - they are unique and beautiful on their own. Each dish is served in a different shaped plate, which adds to the presentation.

The desserts hold up on their own. The pastry chef deserves accolades for the Asian Pearl - who knew there is such a thing as coriander tapioca pearls? The pearls/ boba add a wonderful texture and flavor to the jasmine meringue (whaaaa?), and the sake soaked lychee is everything! The presentation is so beautiful that I stared at it for a good 30 seconds before diving into the meringue. It is rare that I wait 5 seconds when food is at the table. Honorable mention goes to pandan cheesecake, which was a delightful chocolate overload. Loved every bite of it!

Thank you Kyirisan for indulging us in complimentary bubbly to celebrate our anniversary and giving us a memorable experience. We will return soon.

1  Thank The_Nomadic_Doctor