“Wonderful Addition to Capitol Hill!”

Joselito Casa de Comidas
Reserve with OpenTable
Joselito Casa de Comidas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #515 of 3,524 Restaurants in Washington DC
Reviewed 19 September 2017

I'm stunned that this place doesn't consistently have five stars! We live out of the DC area but have an apartment there so are back frequently. We noticed this place when there a few weeks ago, the menu seemed intriguing, so we decided to give it a try. Within the space of about 10 days, we went back three times with three different guests. We sampled many of their tapas including the mackerel in sherry vinegar, the Salpicon (a mix of seafood exquisitely cooked), the fried eggs with crawfish (wonderful - one of my favorites), the boquerones (this is the only plate we got in the medium size since we all love them and these are outstanding), the salted cod crepe, the lima beans and cuttlefish, the merluza fish, and the duck breast. Almost all of the dishes come in various sizes. Everyone, including us, thought the service was outstanding and the food was amazing. If we lived there, this would be on my list of (at least) weekly restaurants. As others have noted, their red Sangria is delicious and is perfect for grazing your way through the menu. Although we didn't do it, they have a 20% off Happy Hour deal at the bar from 4-7 that sounds great. Our daughter tried that last night with family and said it was terrific. Bravo Joselito! We're glad you're in the neighborhood.

1  Thank LoveSouthBeach33139

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

After a glowing review in The Washington Post for their brunch, I decided to try it on a day exploring the city. I had two drinks - a classic Bellini that was much, much too dry for my tastes but that was my fault, not theirs, and a delightful sparkling white wine sangria. The sangria was amazing with a fruit ice cube in it. Best sangria I've had outside of Spain.

I ordered the fried eggs, home fries, and Iberico ham. The ham was of course delightful. The eggs were fine. The fries were really thick cut potatoes. They didn't quite taste done to me and they definitely needed salt. At restaurants of this caliber they usually don't include salt and pepper shakers so I would have had to ask.
The ambiance was quite cute. It reminded me of my favorite churros restaurant in Madrid.
Service was impeccable. I'll probably come back and try something a little more Spanish to see if it improves.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

I went with a group of four to Joselito two days ago, and everything about the experience was a joy. We had 15 or 16 different tapas among us, including standards like jamon iberico and queso manchego, as well as some unusual dishes, such as lima beans with cuttlefish, and duck breast with figs. Every dish was excellent, but what most reminded me of fine dining in Madrid was the salpicon, a seafood salad, and boquerones, lightly fried fresh anchovies, the latter as good as any I've ever had outside of Spain and better than some in Spain. Our red sangria was not sweet, but just right, and afterwards we were served shots of a brandy and almond liqueur drink that was perfect. Our server was helpful, prompt, professional, and even humorous. This is a can't miss Capitol Hill restaurnt and a welcome addition to the list of DC's finest eateries.

1  Thank SoBeRetired
Reviewed 24 August 2017

The variety of genuine Spanish tapas, the joyous enthusiasm of the staff and the buzz of the happy patrons are so infectious in Joselito that at times I really felt I was back in Spain where I lived for 30 years.

We literally burst into restaurant to escape from a sudden violent storm and in a flash of lightning we were seated at the long bar. I am skeptical about some American efforts to serve large tapas – usually amateur concoctions with frugal portions and fat prices – but as I saw the well-trained staff working at the cold prep station just across the counter, I could see this place probably offered the Real McCoy – Tapas de Verdad.

And Joselito does! You choose between a small tapa, a half plate (media ración) and a plate (ración) on the menu and we started with a generous tapa of excellent aged Manchego cheese, enough for the two of us. There was easily more good cheese here than the fragments offered for twice the price at a snooty “Haute Cuisine” establishment in nearby 8th Street’s restaurant row.

The Salpicón, a traditional cold salad of shrimp and mussels with diced octopus, peppers, onion and perhaps olives, was outstanding here, making abundant use of the excellent large shrimp available from the nearby East Coast.

The hake with parsley sauce and clams, Merluza con Salsa Verde con Almejas, was 100% Spanish and a real taste of casa. The Baby Cuttle Fish with beans was also tasty as was the Rabo de Toro.

And for desserts, treat yourself to a generous serving of Torrijas, an Andalusian style dish with French toast and cream you can douse with a large shot of powerful sherry. Simply delicious!

The bar staff were outstanding and when we met the friendly manager/sommelier Gustavo Iniesta, and the enthusiastic chef David Sierra, a Madrileño, we realized why Joselito, only seven months old, is so good. All the main protagonists, including owner Javier Candon (whose father was Joselito), trained and worked for the Spanish Grupo Lezama at the upmarket Taberna de Alabardero chain, a benchmark of good solid Spanish cuisine.

But trendy Joselito is nothing like the somewhat stuffy Alabardero restaurants and its menu offers good value for money.

1  Thank buenvino
Reviewed 14 August 2017

I have spent a fair amount of time in Spain and always love to try new Spanish restaurants in the area. I saw Joselito had opened and finally got to try it out for dinner on a Friday night. Made a reservation that morning with OpenTable and was seated promptly upon arrival, despite being a bit delayed by traffic.

Rather than just being a "tapas restaurant", they take a more authentic approach of having each dish available it in, tapa, media ración (half ration) and ración (full ration) portion sizes that real Spanish restaurants often have. We shared the following:
- sparkling white sangria (with a very cool fruit ice cube)
- gazpacho (very good, but more on the creamy side than the acidic side)
- merluza (hake) in a clam sauce (this was my favorite dish of the night)
- jamon iberico (delicious)
- a steak and potato dish that I forget the name of, but it was delicious
- fried boquerones (anchovies) with an aioli dipping sauce - also very tasty

All in all, a very enjoyable meal. You won't find some of the more traditional Spanish tapas like tortilla, croquetas, pulpo, etc... but there are a number of places in town to get that kind of thing, so I guess the chef wanted to do something different. Like most Capital Hill restaurants, it's a tad pricey, but goes with the territory.

1  Thank Duane T