“Friendly service, but I’ve found better rolls”

Luke's Lobster Penn Quarter
Ranked #163 of 3,666 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Description: Luke's Lobster is a cozy, Maine-bred seafood shack committed to simple dishes that highlight superior ingredients, served straight from the source, without the filler. We are best known for our lobster rolls, friendly team and cozy shack atmosphere!
Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

So when you have a lobster roll and beer happy hour special for $20 you've got my attention. I had never heard of Luke's before and the pure volume of reviews and incredible overall rating was phenomenal. So providing an A-OK is disappointing.

The location is near the Verizon Center, I guess it's called Penn. The outside has a few tables with umbrellas. The unoccupied tables were clean and the area had limited debris.

The inside is small, but can accommodate probably ten customers with a window counter. The dining room was empty during the beginning of their 4-7 PM happy hour. The dining room was clean and trash containers were maintained. The menu is on the wall. They do more than lobster, they have shrimp and crab too! I saw seafood salads rolling out of the kitchen.

Step up and order at the counter and I just bet you will be greeted with an awesome staff person like I was. This young lady was a sweetheart and patient as we decided on two happy hour specials. One lobster and one crab with Allagash beers. Even the cook in the back was friendly noticing my ODU cap and made a nice comment. All drinks are bottle it appeared.

The food came out in less than 10 minutes. The rolls are accompanied by a pickle spear. Visually they both looked good. The bread was even authentic. However, both my wife and I reported disappointment at the taste. The pickle spear was cold, crispy and yum! The beer was ice cold and delicious on a hot Summer day.

My lobster roll had a few hard shells in it which can happen, but it was the flavor that was not appealing that surprised me. Please understand it was not bad, but I've had much better. My wife who adores crab could not finish her roll. I think we agreed the meat was just too chilled was a possible factor. It was like icy.

Maybe an off day, or maybe Luke's customers have not experienced the real thing. I'm just not sure, but speaking from both my wife and I we agree it was not money well spent even on a happy hour special. Luke's has a few locations, so maybe a different locale a different result. I am puzzled I will admit, but just keeping it real. Thank you for having an awesome staff, that's worth a star of its own.

1  Thank J David H
LukesLobster, General Manager at Luke's Lobster Penn Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Hello Dave, Thank you for visiting us at the shack. We appreciate all of the feedback and are always looking for ways to improve. We do serve our rolls chilled on a buttered and toasted bun with lemon butter on top. Feel free to give us another try.

Reviewed 4 July 2018

We had this place suggested to us by a variety of people we met while visiting DC. Truly no idea what all the fuss is about. Cold lobster on poor quality bread rolls with below average slaw and some Mexican fake coke. Come on, even the service is pretty average and the seats are not the best.

Don't bother with it. Maybe it was once something special but whatever it had it has long gone!

1  Thank Alistair_Unicomb

Hello, thank you for visiting us. We do serve a "Main Style" lobster roll with chilled lobster and a toasted bun. We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

We got the trio cole slaw and lobster tails. Basically all cr@p. It tasted like nothing the portions were small and it was expensive for what you did get. So uh uh uh yuck. Way better choices.

1  Thank KansasCityTootie

Hello, thank you for stopping in. We do apologize that we didn't meet the expectations you had. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

I was hungry for some east coast seafood while on a business trip to DC, but I didn't want to have a sit-down meal. I loved my lobster sandwich! The bread was tasty too. I also had their poppy seed coleslaw, which was good. The staff was great too.

LukesLobster, General Manager at Luke's Lobster Penn Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Thanks for stopping by PixelPrincess_2011. We are glad you enjoyed your meal.

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

-Location: 3/5 (in the town center, few seats available)
-Menu: 4/5 (good selection of quality and fresh seafood, small portions)
-Service: 3/5 (on average)
-Price quality: 2/5 (high prices compared to service and location)

I ordered a Luke's trio (half a lobster roll, half a crab roll, half a shrimp roll) and mixed greens. Seafood was tasty and fresh, perfect for a quick and healthy summer lunch. Greens quite wilted. Worth a visit if you never tried.

Thanks for stopping by Venividimangno. We always appreciate any feedback.