“Top notch Ethiopian/Eritrean fare”
Review of Keren Restaurant

Keren Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 3,748 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This is one of DC's many Eritrean restaurants, but it tends to be overlooked by the better publicized and established Ethiopian community in the city. It's a small place, but offers a fantastic dishes, coffee, and service. There is no review on TripAdvisor for this restaurant (there is one on Yelp!).
Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

We were visiting my son in DC. He loves Ethiopian food and had never been to Keren. My husband had it in his mind that this cuisine was so-so. We entered the cozy restaurant and were at the bar until a table opened. Well, the food converted my husband. Flavorful to the max- different from other Ethiopian places than I’ve been before in that there was a distinctive (but not overpowering) sage flavor in our food. It’s all good.

2  Thank Nytex1130

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Fun place to experience east African cuisine that is excellent. Big, affordable plates of food to use your injera to sop it all up. Because it is good and doesn't take reservations, you may have to wait for a table.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

Keren is a local favorite and often frequented by the taxi cab community. The location may be small (call for reservations) but the service is grand and the food is delicious and affordable.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 14 October 2017

We got here on a Saturday evening around 7:30, and had a wait of 30 minutes - this restaurant is popular, and the seating is a bit tight but cozy. Overall, a good dining experience, though not great since we have had better Ethiopian food before. I asked for my meal to be spicy, but it was low-medium heat. The vegetarian option left a lot to be desired, but the chicken and especially the beef dinners were both very tasty.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

I had dinner here and would become a regular were I living in DC. I had a beef stew plate, spicy. Though the heat level was moderate, and I love spicy hot food, it was delicious. This place is as good as any Ethiopian place I’ve ever been. The presentation was elegant and fastidiously constructed. There were delicious greens and two forms of legumes (lentils) along with a salad and potatoes. Plus a wonderful stew like beef dish. And there was so much of it all that I could not eat it all. All for around $13. The place is clearly very popular so get there early or expect a wait as they don’t take reservations. The staff is attentive and friendly and the atmosphere is what you expect from an Ethiopian eatery. They have a selection of beverages including Ethiopian beer. The only complaint I have is that the cushioning on the bench seat I was sitting on had collapsed from probably a million butts of satisfied customers. Were I living in DC, I would be a regular.

1  Thank John P