“TL;DR version: ran out of lamb before 7pm, food is mediocre at 4* prices”
Review of The Grill Room

The Grill Room
Ranked #515 of 3,748 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: M Street
Transit: Circulator - M-Street & 31st Street or K-Street (in front of Loews Theatre) Metro - Foggy Bottom
Description: Tucked up along the historic C&O Canal, a national park that threads through the Georgetown neighborhood, The Grill Room specializes in hand-cut, bone-in, artisan meats, bracingly fresh seafood and tableside preparations. Framed with a wall of floor to ceiling windows and fluid geometric lines, the ambiance is one of relaxed refinement.Plan ahead and request a coveted al fresco canal side seat, perfect for enjoying the convivial, pedestrian buzz of Georgetown. At the bar, or in the restaurant, indulge from our Champagne trolley, rare selection of rye whiskies or artisan cocktails complemented with our hard harvested ice. Our staff will assist in celebrating any occasion, or should you require a more private affair, consider reserving our private dining room.Breakfast, lunch and dinner are offered daily.
Reviewed 4 August 2018

My wife and I love Rye Bar at the Rosewood. Some of the best craft cocktails in DC. So we thought we'd try The Grill Room thinking quality begets quality.

It all started so well as the server called me by name based on my Open Table reservation.

Important point: we were seated at 6:30 PM. Sooooooooo early.

We ordered cocktails and oysters. Everything went well. I could niggle about the currant in the mignonette sauce but hey, horses for courses.

Then we ordered mains. My wife the chicken, me the lamb leg, us a bottle of pinot noir. Away goes the waiter. Comes back 5 minutes later wanting to know what temperature the lamb should be prepared. 'As the chef recommends' says I.

Then it all goes to heck as 10 minutes later the waiter returns to tell me there is no more lamb. Did I mention it was about 7 PM at this point!?!?!? Yeah. One of the FIVE mains on the menu is finished at SEVEN PM on a FRIDAY NIGHT while the restaurant is still pretty empty.

My wife read the server the riot act then asked me if we should just leave at that point. Waiter barely apologizes. Just stands there awkwardly. I wish we had. I ordered some beef instead.

As we are talking about how ridiculous this all is we overhear a different server describe a special tomahawk steak to the recently-seated table next to us. When she is finished we call her over and ask about the special and she describes it to us. It was never offered to us...if it had we'd have ordered it!! When we say this to her she makes up a story about how they 'got a late delivery' and that when they ran out of the lamb they decided to cook up the tomahawk.

Meals come. My beef is utterly uninspired; something I could have made on the grill at home. Wife's chicken is what I call 'convention chicken' as it's the dry, tasteless thing one gets at a convention meal.

We spent $250 on a meal that we didn't want and we pretty much hated.

By way of apology they did....nothing.

Avoid.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 18 April 2018

This was my second trip to the Grill Room. Service is efficient and friendly. Food is excellent. Room is quiet, tables sufficiently far apart to have a business conversation. Valet parking.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 1 March 2018

Upscale Contemporary American food and pleasing, subdued decor.

Dining alone, I chose the 4-course prix fixe with Tuscan-only wine pairings, evidently a special promotion in cooperation with a particular winery. The mushroom tortellini and salmon in a mild vegetable chowder were very good, though lamb medallions were only average. The third course was supposed to be squab, but I requested a substitution with hamachi, which I was happy with.

The Grill Room’s clientele that night seemed to consist mostly of out-of-towners like myself, but I thought it was much better than some other Georgetown restaurants that seemed popular with locals.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 15 February 2018

Located inside the Rosewood the place is lovely. The food was excellent. I had the blackened Bass. The beet tartare was delicious. The deserts --what can i say! Enjoy

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 3 October 2017

We had a wonderful dinner with my family. We got a variety of menu items and everyone loved what they had. My filet was perfect!

Date of visit: September 2017