“bad quality fish meat and sushi”
Review of Mate

Mate
Ranked #1,330 of 3,716 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Good for: Business meetings
Description: Mate is decadent, lush and entirely unexpected in historic Georgetown. We serve only the best quality ingredients in our innovative sushi rolls and specialty cocktails.All red décor, very luxe Panton spiral lamps, red Luna chairs, a sleek aluminum bar and a Latin inspired sushi menu are brought together to create a sophisticated and seductive atmosphere for Washingtonians.
Reviewed 10 July 2018

The sashimi were not fresh, the fish meat were too soft and warm, not fresh at all. Maybe this place only good for drink

Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

Stopped one night 3 years ago and had fantastic sushi and sashimi. Stopped again a couple of days back and I must admit the quality has actually improved and the quality of presentation is simple yet very inviting to dig into it immediately.
Staff is young and very attentive with a smile always.
Definitely fantastic value for money. Their in house drinks are also worth trying. Nice kick with a great punch and a mix of fruits.
Recommend highly to check it out as they also offer a bar setting for those who don’t feel like being seated.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

My partner and I have come here a few times for pre-movie or post-movie sushi because of its proximity to the Georgetown AME Loews Theater, however, last night, we had the worst experience we have ever had at a restaurant in Washington DC (or anywhere else in the world), and will never return.

We arrived at 6:45PM, allowing us plenty of time to have a leisurely dinner and drinks before our 8:30PM movie. We had reservations but decided to sit at the bar-area near the restrooms. It was a little loud, but it was Saturday date night! We can take it.

We knew what we wanted and ordered our $200+ worth of sushi and sake as soon as the waitress came over, which was about 10 minutes later. We received our drinks, rather sluggishly, but all else was seemingly well. My seat was positioned perfectly to see the trays of delicious sushi come out, waiting to be taken to hungry tables and after about 30 minutes we started to make bets on which tray was ours.

After 45 minutes without any mention of our delayed food by our waitress, we watched what we thought was our food, be brought to the wrong table, nibbled on, then sent back to the kitchen. (They assured us this wasn't what happened, and maybe that's true, but that's what it looked like to me)

The waitress finally came over to us and gave us the sorriest, laziest excuse of an apology I have ever seen after an hour of no food. We asked for a manager, who came over and said the drinks were on the house and that our food would be out shortly. Mind you, both tables next to us (who arrived 20 and 30 minutes later than us respectively) received their food during this time.

After another several minutes of waiting for our promised food (this is an hour and a half total of waiting for our meal), we got up and left because we had to catch our 8:30PM show. The waitress saw us leave and said she was so sorry, that it was all her fault.

We ate AMC movie theater chicken fingers and mozzarella sticks for dinner and will never return to Matte again.

Reviewed 14 July 2017

Spotted this place while out and about and thought it looked interesting - the decor is really cool. Location is great as right by the River Potomac.

Sushi was nice, not amazing, really enjoyed the 'Inferno' rolls though. The menu would benefit from having a tasting menu.

Service was really disappointing - pretty unfriendly overall, barely saw a smile. Little engagement when asking questions about the menu. Having received such amazing service throughout my trip this made it stand out even more.

Overall though, we had a nice time.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

I can now check off a new Sushi restaurant to experience & with a glowing checkmark at that. Speaking of glowing, due to the reddish & luxe hues from the lighting in the lounge area, my pictures are too vibrant to say the least. Yet, I saw the Luna chairs & it was must...noted on my quick return to snap pictures of my food in regular light.

MaryLuna our Sushi Sonar Goddess who started off as the Hostess became my Server & over the next few casual hours, made my visit pleasant with her charming, accommodating & overall friendly interaction. I relied on her recommendations & for an appetizer I had the Salmon Sashimi that came with 3 lightly torched pieces, taste & presentation was spot on. The Fresno 13 was my specialty roll & the various selections of Salmon, Tuna, Yellowtail & Cilantro provided a consumption of tastiness.

Arriving around 7pm on a Saturday the atmosphere was laid back. As I made my way to leave at 9pm, Mate quickly became busy. They offer a Happy Hour M-F, 4pm-7pm with food & cocktails for under $10. Located just a few hundred feet from the waterfront, Mate is on the same side of the street as the AMC Lowes Theater. Public Transportation; Metro Rail-Red Line-Farragut North Station with a 5 minute or less taxi ride...or a 30-45 minute walk.

I relish in coming to G-Town for the waterfront & happily content that I have found a new place for fresh, creative & flavorsome Sushi. My incredible service from MaryLuna was the caviar that topped off my 1st time visit.