“This is dining perfection.”

Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Reserve with OpenTable
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 3,537 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 24th and 25th
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro
Description: Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.
Reviewed 26 July 2016

This was my first time to Marcel's although I have passed by it almost every day on my way to work since it opened. It's location in Foggy Bottom is a short walk from Georgetown and the Kennedy Center. We had a drink at the bar before moving to our table. The bar is understated and comfortable, and the Manhattan was perfectly put together. The elegant dining room was quiet and we were placed at a table with sufficient distance from other tables (they are all well spaced) to have a nice quiet dinner. The wait staff are elegant and manage to remain unobtrusive and attentive at the same time. I was concerned that elegant restaurants can have snooty wait staff, but this is a place where they make you feel welcome and appreciated. That alone seems worth the visit.

As regards the meal, we chose the 5 course meal each, though we could choose between 4 and 7 courses. Each course allows between different choices and they are flexible with how to combine courses. A description of each course would be far too long and would not do justice to the exquisite food in each course. The tomato course was fresh and tasteful, the soft shell crab was carefully devised, the boudin blanc was as others have remarked and superlative, the lamb was unbelievably moist and tender. I could go on.

A special word once again for the excellent service,

Finally, this is a place for very special occasions, and you will remember this meal forever. A short review is not enough for the meal, the service and the experience. It shows that Washington can serve the best cuisine in the best atmosphere comparable to any world city. Just go and you will love it. It makes me proud as a long time Washingtonian.

1  Thank sl3854

Reviewed 22 July 2016

I dined mid week at Marcels with a group of 5. I never saw a menu as the host had pre-arranged.
I was not looking forward to it as I expected an ultra fussy, over-hyped, tiny portion pretentious dinner. I could not have been more wrong - it was excellent.
The dishes were inventive but not ridiculous - not unconstrained and reconstructed foams - just nice hearty delicious combinations that were expertly prepared and served hot. I find that in restaurants where there is an emphasis on presentation it is rare to actually have dishes served at proper temperature - not here - all was on point - just perfect. Of course, the wine selection is appropriate and no one will be without something they are looking forward to drinking.
Excellent.
Certainly among if not the best in DC.

Reviewed 17 July 2016

If you want an elegant dinner in DC with the finest gourmet-level food, I don't think there is a better place in DC.

Reviewed 14 July 2016

We enjoyed another wonderful dinner at Marcel's last night. The amuse bouche was a wonderfully flavored cigar shaped duck wonton. We both enjoyed the tempura styled soft shell crab, also perfect. My wife had a light but tasty tomato salad. I had an unusual but wonderful cheese filled agnolotti with Bolognese sauce. Stuffed by then we still couldn't resist the mahi mahi and buffalo fork tender osso buco. The perfect headwaiter Jonathan was back in House. He has had heart surgery and is not working as many hours but there isn't a better head waiter in Washington. Everyone loves him and everyone should love Marcel's. There are few dining experiences any better.

Reviewed 12 July 2016

My wife and I went here for dinner to celebrate our wedding anniversary and were BLOWN AWAY! Every dish was absolutely amazing - very unique and interesting. The wine pairings were very well done. And our service staff were very enjoyable. It is rare that my wife and I are surprised by a restaurant, but in this case we were. Has certainly made our Top 5 restaurants of all time from our travels.