“My favorite DC coffeehouse”

Modern Times Coffeehouse
Ranked #90 of 163 Coffee & Tea in Washington DC
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Deli
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I visit at least once a week. Love their espresso drinks, almond croissants, and tuna sandwiches! Enjoy the funky atmosphere.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

This is basically a hole in the wall coffeehouse that looks like some relic from
the 60s. However, don't be fooled by the odd decor of mismatched furniture and dingy floor, as this cafe serves some mighty good basic food. After eating in the tony Palisades area of D.C. the night before, we wanted a simple brunch before heading to Annapolis. Using my smartphone, I found this place which came highly recommended by Yelp and they were right on. There is a parking lot in the back of the small shopping center and some meters on the street but parking can be scarce on Sunday in this neighborhood.

When we walked in it seemed that every student in the area was eating while working on their laptops making seating in this small cafe a bit difficult to find. The menu is posted on some boards over the counter and there was quite an eclectic sampling of foods from vegan soup to salads, turkey, tuna and cheese sandwiches both hot and cold. There was something for everyone. We both had the tasty vegan broccoli soup which had a nice creamy texture but was made without dairy. Then we each had the most enormous half turkey sandwich on whole wheat with cheese and cranberry sauce. I had a delicious skinny decaf latte which had the most beautiful swirl of milk on the top. My husband opted for a decaf. Everything was really good and fresh and not very expensive. We ended by sharing three pieces of cranberry apricot rugelach. I saw assorted pastries in the case and everything looked fresh and well prepared.

Modern Times is a self-service cafe and you order and pay then wait to hear your name called by the counter help. They are pretty efficient and the food came very quickly. This coffeehouse/cafe was an excellent find to end our weekend in D.C.

The restrooms are in the bookstore in back of the cafe. Again, not fancy but adequate for the user.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

I love going here when I have some hours to while away. Browsing is hassle-free, but when I am in a hurry, someone always steps up to help me or ring up purchases in record time. The talks are excellent, and it is fun to mingle downstairs in the sale room and then to hang around for coffee, lunch, good desserts.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

A very well-stocked bookstore with a dynamic speakers program and - on a desultory Saturday night - a spelling bee! Small cafe downstairs, alongside a huge childrens section staffed by Very helpful, knowledgeable staff.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Never know who'll be speaking...always liberal...for the most part anyway...great coffee shop in the cave-like seating-area on the lower level...great for a gift or two or three ...