“Move over Starbucks!”

Ranked #34 of 60 Bakeries in Washington DC
Neighbourhood: Upper Northwest
Neighbourhood: Upper Northwest
Reviewed 16 May 2016

Discovered Firehook on our recent trip to DC's Cleveland Park neighborhood. AWESOME coffee shop/bakery! The service is fast and friendly, pastries and breakfast sandwiches the bomb, and the coffee is fantastic. Great find!

Reviewed 12 May 2016

Stopped in here for breakfast. The guy behind the counter treated us like old friends even though we just walked in off the street. Food was very good and lots of tempting treats to look at too!

Reviewed 19 April 2016

Firehook is perfect for a late morning indulgence and a nice alternative to Starbucks. Don't get me wrong, I love Starbucks lattés and often meet colleagues there for coffee. But I've found the chain's baristas, service and cleanliness to be uneven lately, while the baked goods are OK but boring. For a recent coffee meet-up with a colleague, we chose Firehook at Farragut Square and were not disappointed. The place was crowded, but bright and pleasant. After a short wait I found a seat in the back with plenty of privacy. Ordered a regular coffee and plain croissant w jam. The croissant met my exacting French standards, crispy on the outside and moist and buttery on the inside. The coffee was very good, too. I would give this one 5 stars except that many of the seats are too close together to discuss business you don't necessarily want the rest of Washington to know about.

Reviewed 18 January 2016

While the baked goods at Firehook are good, this is not the place to stop in for a cup of tea. A small cup of bagged herbal tea is $2.10! It is amazing they can get away with these kinds of prices. We are not in East Hampton folks. And with all of the students with computers occupying tables, seating is extremely limited. From now on, I'll stick to Bread Furst up Conn Ave. Much better food and prices.

Reviewed 19 October 2015

Before catching the train at Dupont Circle, you can stop by the bakery for a quick breakfast. A nice selection of baked goods and beverages, with some seating. I thought that it is a good value for that area, which tends to be very overpriced and the quality is strong.