“Lite Bite became Vast Repast”
Review of La Piquette

La Piquette
Reserve with OpenTable
La Piquette is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #227 of 3,533 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$12 - US$29
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A neighborhood Bistrot located in Cleveland Park that stays faithful to its French roots offering the best French dishes on this side of the Atlantic.
Reviewed 1 February 2018

We went with another couple for a late, light dinner, but changed our minds with the Restaurant Week Menu. Enjoyed every item we ordered; Salmon Tartare, Cod Croquette, Roast Chicken, Lemon Caper Skate, Peach Melba, Chocolate Mousse, and a Pampelmousse cocktail. No need to order a salad as the appetizers were healthily adorned. Though we were late for our late dinner, we were never rushed. Would definitely come back.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

I love when I stumble upon a new place to eat and bonus when the staff is friendly and attentive. Went to La Piquette last Saturday. They only do brunch in the afternoon, so I can't speak to their regular menu. But the brunch menu was actually fairly extensive offering everything from omlettes to regular entrees that included protein and sides.

Because there simply is no reason to eat French cuisine without wine, I was pretty focused on the wine menu. We tried a Bordeaux, which worked well with our food selection, but then ended up getting a 1/2 liter of their house red which honestly ended up being as good as the more expensive Bordeaux.

I had the Croque Monsieur which was deliciously rich. It's served with mixed greens in a light vinaigrette. The greens definitely helped to cut some of the open-faced sandwich's richness. My husband had the steak frites. Typically we both like the new york strip (for its flavor) or filet cut (for its tenderness) but the sirloin was cooked perfectly. I'd forgotten how flavorful sirloin could be. It was honestly one of the best steaks I've had outside of a steakhouse in some time. I'm not a big fan of the skinny fries that restaurants like to serve. They're always overcooked. Would have loved a fresh cut fry. That tasty sirloin deserved better.

Though I had my eye on the creme caramel, we had the "orange cake" for dessert. It came out warm and on top of creme anglaise. Sinfully delicious.

It's not a very large restaurant and I was surprised how many folks were there so early (1:30 p.m.). It wasn't crowded at all, but steady traffic that kept the waitstaff back and forth. But they were very attentive to us and kept both our wine and water glasses full.

It was a great way to spend an afternoon. I'd like to return to try their regular menu.

My only gripe was that the croque monsieur was part of the Pre-fixe menu and was pricey for what is essentially a breakfast sandwich. I think my sandwich was more expensive than my husband's sirloin. When I think pre-fixe, a more complete meal comes to mind for the price.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Not a destination restaurant but a wonderful neighborhood place to meet friends. The food is consistently excellent. Whether you have grilled fish for dinner or just come for a snack of wine and fries, it is a lovely place to lose yourself and feel French.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

A friend's gift brought us to this cozy cafe for our wedding anniversary. My two appetizers left room for a perfect creme brûlée and my husband said his steak frites were perfectly cooked. Staff were friendly and efficient. Diverse clientele, multinational and multigenerational, made it feel like we flew to Europe for the evening. I clearly didn't want to leave and left my phone and gloves behind. Staff ran after us into the frozen night air to return my belongings. We can't wait to return.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

We found this cozy, charming café near the Washington National Cathedral. We were quite hungry and lingered here for a tasty brunch. I had an omelet and my daughter had Eggs Benedict. Make sure you try the frites! They are out of this world.