“Quirky. No cream cheese and no ketchup or hot sauce for eggs.”
Review of Paul

Paul
Ranked #27 of 63 Bakeries in Washington DC
Neighbourhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Neighbourhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Reviewed 9 September 2017

The restaurant we wanted was full so we went to Pauls instead for brunch. You order at the counter and they bring the food to your table. I had Swiss cheese and spinach omelet which was pretty good. It came with a small salad but I was not able to get either ketchup or hot sauce so I was disappointed. They do not carry these items. My husband had the smoked salmon on a baguette which he said was delicious but he would have like some cream cheese on the sandwich. They don't carry cream cheese. The croissants were very good as well. We paid $27 for this meal which I feel is pretty high.

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Stopped in for a croissant after visiting the nearby Textile Museum. Pleasant service, nice selection of pastries and sandwiches, and a comfortable seating area made it a good choice for a reviving snack.

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

This afternoon, I ordered a fruit filled beignet and a cup of coffee. VERY fortunately for me, I cut the beignet before biting into it. Had I not cut it, it could have been fatal - it was filled with a chocolate hazelnut filling, not fruit filling.

When I took it back to the counter, the server could not have cared any less - no apology, no concern, nothing except "do you want another one?" Also of note, the nut spread beignets are side by side with the fruit filled. If you are at all sensitive to nuts, this could be a problem for you!

Reviewed 20 July 2017

There are Paul's everywhere in Paris, and while they're not usually as good as the independent boulangeries, they are tasty. Paul in the US is a LOT more expensive than Paul in Paris, but that's because they import virtually all of their ingredients. Those jonesing a real croissant or pain au chocolat will be glad they went. As a family that loves french patisserie, I think we spent as much at Paul as we did on hotels in DC!

Reviewed 18 May 2017

I was at Paul on May 4 at 5:50 pm - very precise, because I was stopping through on my way to meet people at 6. While I would love to give more stars, because the chocolate croissant was decent and the young lady at the counter was pleasant, I had an experience that makes me wonder about the sanitation. I waited to use the ladies' room, and out came a male employee in an apron. He went directly from the bathroom into the kitchen. He did not flush the toilet, and he did not wash his hands. (Trust me: I have 3 kids & know how to check for a dry sink LOL). Sorry to post this, but it's what I saw!