“Hibachi!”

Mikata Japanese Steak House
Ranked #67 of 230 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Reviewed 12 April 2016

I really enjoy hibachi. I love the "show" of it, even though they are all pretty similar - chef lights a volcano in the onions, flips an egg into his hat, etc. It's just fun to watch your food be cooked in front of you, especially when the chef shows off.

I was not overwhelmed by this place. I wasn't underwhelmed, by any means - it was good food - but it wasn't the best hibachi I've ever had. I enjoyed the shrimp, but it wasn't as flavorful as I really wanted it to be. The fried rice came with an upcharge, which disappointed me as everywhere else I've eaten it's a standard part of the meal. The soup, while a fairly generous portion, only had three little slivers of chive and one teeny sliver of mushroom. Tasty, but I wanted more of both.

The salad was very good, though. The dressing was - I think - a combination of their "yum yum sauce" and their ginger sauce, and I really liked that; a lot of hibachi places use a ginger dressing and it overwhelms me. The mixture was definitely preferable to me.

Their hibachi also comes with dessert if you're interested in getting it - which appeared to be a bowl of ice cream. Two people at our 10-person table actually chose to get dessert. My husband and I did not.

Don't get me wrong - it's good food! I really did enjoy it. But it wasn't the best I've had, and I'd prefer to get fried rice that I'll enjoy at the beginning of my meal as opposed to ice cream that I'm not going to actually eat at the end of my meal anyway.

Reviewed 18 August 2015 via mobile

I'm a big fan of hibachi restaurants, but this one was only average. I had the steak and calamari. The steak was a little chewy, and the calamari, although cooked to a perfect tenderness, was decidedly lacking in flavor.

Reviewed 23 February 2015

Dependably good, this restaurant has a firm place on our list of places to dine. Though we've never been disappointed with an entree, our recurring favorite is filet & shrimp. They have an excellent sushi bar.

Reviewed 15 February 2015

Mikata is now offering Appetizers and an up-dated menu with the price of fried rice clearly marked at $2. If you are in the mood for a sushi offering, mention it to your waitress and she will get you one to meet your needs. The house soup is tasty and comforting, I don't care for the salad dressing which is too sweet. I will say that each chef who has arrived each time we dine has been friendly and engaging towards patrons. I have heard each one ask a 2nd time to confirm that each guest is receiving the exact food which was ordered and I have never heard a guest complain that the steak wasn't done according to their liking.

Our young son thoroughly enjoys the 'show' display of the food's preparation and we always leave with to-go plates from left-overs we just could not eat all in one sitting. Happy for the experience here and plan to go back anytime. Be advised that this restaurant is not open for lunch hours to my knowledge.

Reviewed 24 December 2014 via mobile

Food, service, and experience were first rate and I met Auburn football player, Sammie Coates as I was leaving. War Eagle