“Owner the grouch”
Review of University Inn

University Inn
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Auburn
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Anyone who plans to stay here should probably avoid any contact outside of check-in with the owners unless you are okay with people in the hospitality industry talking down to you like you are garbage. I stayed one night here and I have to admit the location is great. It's right in the heart of Auburn and there's a bunch of great bars and food joints within a stones throw. The room was okay. The shower was not. The ceramic soap dispenser was broken off and jagged which leaves no room for slippage. When I turned the water on it was the color of mud for about 30seconds which is alright if you're into mineral baths. My room key card was somehow disabled so I went to the desk to have them reset it. As I did I was given a strict scolding on how to never set my card near a cellphone etc. etc.. I didn't need to be scolded, I needed my card reset. I am a smoker but I do not stay in smoking rooms or smoke in my rooms when I travel. As I was checking out I saw the owner watering plants and decided to personally hand him the keys and say thank you. I had an unlit cigarette in my hand and when he noticed he went nuts, yelling to me that smokers stay in smoking rooms. I politely told him I do not smoke in rooms and I didn't smoke in that one. He continued to aggressively insist that it doesn't matter. I left very disturbed and unpleased that this old man acted that way my entire stay. Stay here if you like but stay away from the owner with an unlit cigarette. He's a grouch.

Room Tip: Don't get one!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Daniel D

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I can't in good conscience say this place is a "good deal," but it has its benefits. I'll start with the positive. Location. For the price (outside of football season), you simply won't find better. It is what I would call "yelling distance" from Toomer's corner and anything on campus is an easy walk. There is also a fridge and microwave (bonus?). So if your only concern is location and/or price, you need not read further. This is the place for you. If you are a more discerning consumer, beware... this place might shake your foundations. Though the web site touts "recent renovations," the only thing new in the room appears to be the tile floor in the bathroom and maybe the carpet. The rest of the furnishings are a mis-matched hodgepodge of apparent hand-me-downs from other hotel chains. I clearly recognize the Best Western curtains... The tub has rust stains and the tiling in the bathroom is nothing short of hilarious - a 70's-era yellow up to head height and then a tan motif with crimson accents above that. Oh, and the floor is emerald green! Clearly the "renovation" materials were picked based on what was on sale that day. Or more probable whatever was being given away. The ceiling apparently used to be a tiled material, but a poor attempt was made to seal and paint it. The seams are clearly visible and there are many gaps, giving it that pop-up tile look from grade school. The air conditioner is an 80's vintage wall unit. No control of temperature other than fan, heat, or cold. That being said, it worked, though some buttons were missing and I wasn't confident the rheostat actually had any effect. The beds... well, they're standard fare for a 1-star hotel - bring your own pillow if you can and a sleeping bag might not be a bad idea, either. I hate to bash the place because it suited my needs, but it's painfully obvious that this place needs some TLC. Such a great location, too...

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Aubrey S
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Was traveling through and girlfriend and I simply wanted something cheap and clean. Since the rate was around $50 and nobody was there we asked to see a room. Nothing special, but sheets were clean, room smelled fine, and water pressure was fine.

As others have stated, the best part of this motel is the location that allowed us to go out for a few drinks since we did not have to drive.

If you are reluctant, just ask to check out the room they plan to put you in. They were happy to accommodate us.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2010

The only thing good about this place is the location. It is located on College St. right in the middle of the "strip". HOWEVER, the room was absolutely disgusting. Aside from the carpets obviously not being vacuumed in who knows how long, the bedding smelled musty and old as if they had not been cleaned either. The bothroom floor was just as revolting. The shower/bath tub has former tenants body hair all over the walls and tub. I was literally scared to step in the tub without flip-flops on. The faucet handle came off in my hand. The matress were no more than springs. Unfortunately, I was in town for a football game so there was absolutely NO vacant rooms anywhere in the city. To sum it up, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL (if you can even call it that) TO ANYONE EVER!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank heat437
Reviewed 18 October 2010

The location is the WONDERFUL part of this hotel. We parked the car and walked everywhere including the stadium! GREAT! Its right downtown and steps away from Toomers corner! Other than that it has hot water and it was basically clean enough. If you plan to stay in Auburn for a weekend and don't plan on being in the room that much..this hotel will be great.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple