“The Portions Were Generous”

Medrano's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Ashdown
Reviewed 6 August 2017

I tried Medrano's Mexican Restaurant for lunch the other day, and I enjoyed my meal. Medrano's is located on the north side of Ashdown, a few blocks north of the new E-Z Mart and the Classic Chevrolet car dealership. It's also right across US Highway 59 and 71 from Cossatot Community College (a branch of the University of Arkansas). The restaurant is housed in an old building along the side of the highway. It can be easy to miss if you are not looking for it. I noticed it looks like the windows had been covered with plywood and painted over. Not exactly a good facade. The dining area inside is a bit on the dark side. Not enough light. With all that being said, the service was very good. The waiters seemed happy we were there and ready to help. We (my sister and I) asked for a booth, and we got one in a nice corner of the restaurant. The chips and salsa were very good. The tortilla chips seemed extra thin and crispy, which was nice. The salsa was good, too, and there was plenty of it. We could pour it into our cups for dipping, and there was so much that we didn't finish it all. It didn't take long to get our orders. I ordered the fajita lunch special. The portions were generous, with grilled steak, chicken, onions and peppers. It came with rice and refried beans, a little guacamole, sour cream, lettuce and tomato. I also received two, hot, tortilla pancakes. All in all it was a pretty good meal for the price. Hours posted outside show they are open from 11 AM to 9 PM on most days. I would definitely eat at Medrano's again. It's a nice Mexican restaurant.

1  Thank TallTexWally

Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

Went for dinner after baseball game. First noticed lots of tables that hadn't been cleared from previous guests. Had to wait for a big table to get cleaned before seating our group. Got our drinks fast, no carbonation in soft drinks. Ended up just getting iced tea instead. Took a while longer than usual to get our food but it was hot and fresh when served. Friendly and attentive waitress. All in all it was ok.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

We stopped here on a trip coming back from Louisiana. The restaurant is on a curve and you'll probably miss it if you aren't looking for it. But it was well worth the stop. Service is a little slower as there were only 2 waiters serving the whole restaurant. However, there were lots of choices to eat and the food was fresh and piping HOT as it came out. I'd recommend the Fiesta Platter. It's kind of a sampler of their dishes. Also, their chicken tacos are some of the best I'd ever had. I'd definitely stop here again.

Reviewed 7 March 2016

Chips and dip are good, but sometimes the food is great sometimes not so much. If your craving Mexican food this is your only stop from DeQueen to Texarkana.

Reviewed 6 December 2015 via mobile

So the bathrooms were dirty, the chips were stale the cheese dip didn't taste like cheese dip itself. didn't get too much taste off of the salsa.. the service was good not the best. The food on the other hand was very good they aren't greedy with their serving or the shredded cheese on top.