“Cozy little Italian joint”
Review of Cugini

Cugini
Ranked #19 of 89 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 November 2016

Pizza's and pasta's are amazingly good. House salad comes out looking like it's just a plate of lettuce but then you taste it and it has an amazing amount of flavor. Friendly family run Italian restaurant with good service and an open wood fired oven in the back. Great Negronis too.

Reviewed 30 October 2016

When we walked into the restaurant the first thing I noticed was that only two other tables were occupied. Ok, it was a Sunday night I thought. The three of us were seated at the back by the pizza oven. The second thing I noticed was the man standing at the end of the bar as silent and inscrutable as a security camera. The manager or perhaps the new owner? I hadn't been to Cugini in years. Looking around for place to put my hat it seemed like a good idea to put it on the unoccupied fourth chair at our table. Our waitress was attentive if perhaps a little ill at ease. I assumed it had something to do with the man standing watching everyone's every move from the end of the bar near our table and near the kitchen. We had a pleasant meal and added 20% to the tab paid with a credit card. You might guess I forgot the hat. The sad truth is that I loved that hat but almost never wore it. So, I didn't realize it was missing for a few days and then took a day to remember when I last had it only because I recalled my wife telling me not to leave on the table at the empty fourth setting. I went back to the restaurant asked if they found my hat. I could see our waitress at work and Mr. Security Camera standing at his station. Now he was looking at me. After checking in the back, nope, no hats. I have no kind words for myself. I was pretty stupid to forget a hat I thought I cared so much about. But how could he have missed it? When we left there was only the couple at the other end of the restaurant and it was late. They would have been closing soon. Someone cleared the table not ten feet from him. So I won't go back. I told myself I didn't like the food that much and it is expensive for what you get. After all I had stopped eating there. But maybe I'm just embarrassed.

Reviewed 29 October 2016

We went to Cugini’s on Solano in Albany for lunch. It was fairly empty, but there is a lot of competition on Solano! We had glasses of the house wines, which was maybe a bit steep at $7.50. The menu has a lot of variety, from burgers, salads, pizza to full Italian dishes. One of us got the classic Caesar, and it was huge! She shared some, ate quite a bit, and still had a leftover. It was also quite good, not overly dressed as sometimes happens. She also got a Margherita pizza, which was rather plain and did not have a lot of “stuff.” It had a thin crispy crust with just enough char on the edges to be quite good. Again, plenty for a leftover. The other of us made the mistake of getting the fettuccini alfredo with grilled chicken. It was huge and hugely rich! The grilled chicken was excellent but it was simply too rich to eat more than a few bites. Still, the rest made a great leftover that could be diluted with veggies and a bit more meat to serve 2. It was a nice relaxing atmosphere for two old friends to get caught up, and there was plenty to choose from. We thought it was solid food for a decent price.

Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

The salad, the pizza and the hamburger were all awful, made with the poorest ingredients the only good thing was the service tho

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Friends said they wanted to eat Italian so we tried Cugini on Solano Ave. We had a good experience. We ordered a good Caesar salad, the large fed the 4 of us. Our friends had delicious looking and smelling Parmesan one chicken and the other eggplant. My wife had the daily special which was shrimp and vegetables over linguine and I had linguine vognole (clams). There must have been two dozen clams over perfectly cooked pasta in a white broth with wonderful garlic aromas. Everyone enjoyed their dinner and said they would return again.

Been to Cugini? Share your experiences!