“Hojos Was Fun for Teens”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Stayed at the Hojo Anaheim on a Friday night during the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party time at the Disneyland resort. There was myself and 4 teenagers (16-17 yo) during the stay. We were in building 6, one of the 2 story buildings on property. Although this room was not considered as having a view of the fireworks, we saw them with no problem from the parking lot just outside the main door to the hotel rooms. (Be warned, the fireworks going off are extremely loud! How the folks who live in the area stand it, is beyond me). There was also a small patio or balcony off of the rooms. The rooms were spacious and the beds were very comfortable. There was also a rollaway bed already made up and in the closet, which was great for our goup of 5 folks. The bathroom has a tub/shower combo with toilet and sink. The bathroom is very quiet. In some hotels the bathroom sounds just carry, whether it is your room or someone elses. With the bathroom door closed, I couldn't even hear the water in the shower, and I was on the bed next to the shower wall. Never heard the bathroom upstairs either. Excellent sound proofing all around. Just outside of the bathroom there is another single sink. Loads of storage space and hanging space. There was also a small fridge which we didn't use. All of the teen girls went at played at the waterpark Friday night. They had a blast with the different items and the water slide. They thought it was much more fun than the regular pool on the property. Again, ymmv depending on your kids. We walked to Disneyland from the hotel and did not think it was far. However, if you have small children and no stroller, you may think it was much farther, especially at the end of a long day in the parks. I would definately recommend this hotel for any length of stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Immebsmom

Reviewed 3 October 2008

I like this hotel, the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the grounds are well kept.

However, I do not like the new Castaway Cove kiddie area. They replaced the main pool with a waterslide and splashy area, but there is no longer a swimming pool. This area is only fun for smaller children. It's too bad there is not a pool at the end of the waterslide, then kids (and adults) of all ages could enjoy it. The jacuzzi is in this area, so now the small children use it as a pool (can you cannon ball into a jacuzzi-- YES-- if you are at the HOJO!)

There is a second 'garden' pool, but it is small and shady and now it gets very crowded with bigger kids.

I used to really like that they had two pools here -and one was large so there was always a sunny spot to sit.

I will probably won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Gina S
Reviewed 30 September 2008

HoJo Anaheim.
date; 12 sep,2008
trip adviser member, London uk.
we have just returned from the Howard Johnson Hotel. the Hotel is a lovely place, beds are so clean and comfortably, the only problem I found the rooms themselves need painting and updating and some new carpet would be good. not far to walk to the parks.Nice places to eat on your door step, Garden walk not to far away you can walk there. We stayed for five nights and I think that was long enough in Anaheim worth going to see the parks. lovely water play area for small children at this Hotel.
would Would we stay there again yes I think we would, for the price we paid.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sara038
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Walking Distance!!!
Yes, I know a ton of hotels claim you can walk to Disneyland. But I promise you can from here. We stayed four night in Feb, 2008. Two rooms, my parents, late 40's-50 & the other room as my 4yr old, self & spouse. we are all in good physical health & had no issue w/ the walk.
Check-in & parking , the parking lot fills up quickly. Check in , I love their lobby. We checked in on a very busy night. There was a small line, but it went smoothly.
Rooms, tasteful retro 70's, if you stayed @ a HOJO ya know what i'm talking about. Though don't let it turn you off. Both rooms were VERY clean. I did my white sock test & the socks stayed white.A+++
Overall, get place to stay. Close to park 7 during the Disney high season, HOJO stays w/ in the budget.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Katsonthego
Reviewed 29 September 2008

Stayed here 2 nights first time. Last few visits we stayed next door at Fairfeld. I decided to stay here since need a place within walking distance to avoid the parking fee and wanted convenience of going back to room for nap/refresher.
Got a good rate for one night using entertainment card. Otherwise, reall would not pay the rack rate of $139. Since most of the hotel on harbor st are motel looking, this hotel has the new water play area. I was looking forward for my young toddlers to use the cove adventure/pirate ship but it was closed for repairs on the night of arrival. I was alright with that since we arrived late at night anyhow. But, the next day, after returning from disneyland, the slide and pirate ship was closed due to an incident. Apparently a child threw up on the ship. So, basically another day of it being close. Really was disappointed since we were checking out early the following day for a drive to San diego Sea world.
The rooms were decent and beds were comfortable but not as nice of course as a 4 star bed we had at the hilton in san diego.
But, the price of the rooms are similar to the sheraton but they don't nickel and dime you like the higher star hotel. That is just my opinion.

Pros:
1. located across from disneyland entrance, but this hotel is the last one on the strip. It took a good 15 min walk with stroller. Best Western, Tropicana and carousel are closer. It made a difference when you are carrying a child asleep in the evening.

2. Queens beds and not double.
3. Microvwave and fridge. The Fairfield inn did not have microwave just fridge, so that was a plus
4. Pool plus a new water cove area for young kids
5. They do sell 2 day, 3 day, etc hopper passes. I think it came out cheaper than at the gate.

Cons:
1. No free breakfast
2. Elevator was out of service so had to use the maintenance employee elevatore.
3. Hotel hallway looked good in general
4. The price is kind of expensive if you don't have any promotion code
5. The check in lobby was not connection to the building where our rooms were, we had to drive to the rooms.
6. Mimi's cafe is next door. It had pretty code breakfast. Try the low fat blueberry muffin. Buy some to go and save on breakfast/ Someone mentioned calling ahead and pick up to go.

So, if you want to walk to the theme park, free parking, microwave and fridge and don't mind that is a motel setup, then this may meet your needs. But, if you are going to pay the publish price, then consider the other ones as well since they are a lot closer. This would be good if you have young toddlers who would like a water play area.
Feel free to email with questions.

Stayed: September 2008