“12 nights - 5 kids - great hotel!”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 5 July 2004

My family (2 adults, 5 kids aged 8-12)stayed at the HOJO from June 19th until July 1st this year and we loved it. We had 2 interconnecting rooms in Building 2 on the first floor overlooking the pool. They were great rooms - really spacious and always cleaned really well each day. The gift shop was really well stocked - we got cereal and breakfast food from there each day. The grounds are maintained beautifully. The staff were always really helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Right from when I started to plan this trip 6 months ago I have been in regular contact with the hotel via email and they have always been informative and helpful. We ate alot at Millies near The Fairfield Inn - good value for money. Most days we walked down to the Disneyland Resort - some nights we caught the $3 bus back if the kids were tired. Unlike the person from Phoenix - we have the best holiday, made all the better thanks to the people at HOJO. Well done & Thank you!

2  Thank debtam64

A TripAdvisor Member
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2004

We were there June 2-6, 2004 and were very happy with our accomodations. We had a tower room facing the Matterhorn.
The room was good sized and appeared larger because of the high ceiling. The two queen beds were comfortable and there were extra pillows available.
The bathroom was clean and nice sized, the water pressure was good, and towels were plentiful.
We had a fridge and coffee maker in the room and everyday the coffee and tea were replaced.
When we asked questions at the front desk our questions were always politely answered. The front desk people were very helpful when I needed help with tours and taxis.
Having the little gift shop helped for quick snacks and breakfast items.
My child and I loved the pool area, we enjoyed seeing the monorail pass while we swam.
Walking to Disneyland was a breeze even after spending all day at the parks. We averaged 10 minutes walking at a nice pace no huffing and puffing. There are plenty of good places to eat along the way. All in all the Howard Johnson's in Anaheim is a very nice place to stay. I will recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2004
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 June 2004

My husband, daughter and I spent six nights here (June 6-12), partly as a result of all the positive reports for this hotel on this website. My priority in finding a hotel room is safety and cleanliness; unfortunately we were not pleased with HOJO. Although our two queen bedroom in bldg one was large, it was not very clean; the carpet was filthy in areas and looked as though it hadn't even been vacuumed in quite a while. The bathroom was tiny and the toilet was a bad joke! Three days into our stay, my daughter discovered a candy bar wrapper and powdered sugar crumbs on the floor between her bed and the nightstand. Since we don't eat these items they were obviously left by previous guests or the maid got hungry and had a snack in our room. While I realize that bedspreads are rarely washed, in our room both the bedspreads and the bedskirts were badly stained ~ disgusting. Twice during our stay I requested an extra pillow and blanket which I never received. One morning we had just reached our car when I realized I'd forgotten something in our room. When I got back to our room, I discovered the maid was just finishing up (no vacuum in the room or the hallway, I might add). This meant that she had started and nearly completed cleaning our room in less than the five minutes we were absent from it. Hardly an example of thoroughness! If you will be driving to this hotel, be aware that parking is very limited, particularly near building one. Twice we had to park on the far opposite end of the hotel complex, not a safe situation at night. Finally, walking TO Disneyland might seem acceptable, but from the grumbles of those who had walked BACK after a full day and night, a hotel shuttle would be a tremendous improvement. I always felt so sorry for the little ones who were forced to walk back to the hotel at 10:00 p.m. when they were already exhausted. It was well worth the $9 parking fee at Dland for the convenience of having our own car right there. Upon our recommendation, my sister and her family, as well as one of my husband's co-workers and his family, have cancelled their reservations at HOJO for July and will be staying elsewhere. We seriously do NOT understand how this hotel has gotten such positive reviews from other travelers; we met others in the elevators who were as displeased as we were, so we aren't an isolated case.

• Stayed: January 2005
7  Thank Desert Family
Management response:Responded 14 July 2004

I have conducted an investigation of this guest’s concerns and have sent a letter to reach out to the guest to find out more information; unfortunately we only have the guest’s mailing address and do not have their e-mail or telephone number so will have to wait for a reply via regular mail.

I want to preface all of my remarks by saying that the customer is always right and that if this was the guest’s perception then I need to work to improve my hotel; my staff can and does make mistakes from time to time.

There was no recollection of any notification about the guests concerns while the guest was in house. We inspected the room as soon as we read the comments on Tripadvisor and did not find any stains on the bedspreads, the toilet is in good working condition but our tower bathrooms are a bit small, it is possible that our maids and room inspectors missed the candy wrapper and powdered sugar but the maid servicing that room has been doing a great job for us for 3 years and the supervisor has been with us for 22 years and is very thorough. We have staff on duty to provide quick delivery of special request items but it is possible that someone failed to write down the request.

I believe that the guest encountered the room supervisor rather than the maid. The supervisor has a small cart rather than a large maid cart. The supervisor visits each room each day and replaces the coffee and tea supplies, inspects the room, but does not vacuum. The maids vacuum every room every day after completing all other assignments in the room. Our maids are efficient but there is just no way they can even make two queen beds in 5 minutes.

The hotel does have a shuttle to the Disney Resort for a fee. We participate in the Anaheim Transportation Network along with most Anaheim Hotels. The Anaheim Transportation Network was developed to provide a uniform service as well as utilize clean air vehicles. All the shuttles run on electric or propane power. The hotels subsidize the service but there is also a fee to the guest to use it.

I know that a family vacation is expensive, special, and difficult to coordinate. My staff and I are extremely disappointed with this guest’s perception of our hotel and want to make sure we reconcile with them.

Lastly, I encourage anyone to contact hotel management during their hotel stay if they are displeased. Why suffer through a bad experience – vacations are too precious to waste; my staff and I will do whatever it takes to meet a guest’s expectations.

A TripAdvisor Member
Cheyenne,WY
Reviewed 23 June 2004

Stayed at hojo June 10th to 13th we were very pleased, especially after reading reviews. Check into getting bus pass at front desk, makes for easier return from park.

Reviewed 21 June 2004

We stayed in Bldg #3 lower floor. The room was clean, large, with a large closet, one bathroom, an extra sink outside of the bathroom. We used the on-site laundry ($1.00 per load) and gift/convienence store was well stocked. There was no road noise as we always run the air unit at all times anyway. What made the stay pleasurable was that the entire staff was helpful and considerate of our needs. The heated pool, jacuzzi, and kids splash area is very nice.

• Stayed: June 2004