“They Will Leave The Light On, But Not Much Else”

Motel 6 Los Angeles - Arcadia / Pasadena
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Arcadia
Reviewed 7 November 2016

We stayed for five nights in the Motel 6 Arcadia over Breeders' Cup 2016 week. The motel is very close to the world-famous Santa Anita Race Park and, like all hotels in the area, drew quite a premium (over $100.00 per night) for the special event. I believe regular pricing is closer to $75.00 per night.

I wanted to comment on a recent review stating that the Santa Anita Race Track is just across the street from the hotel. Technically, this may be right. Just across Colorado Street, you will be in one of the very distant parking lots of Santa Anita, but it is well over 1/2 of a mile to the entrance gate. Also in the well meaning review, it was stated that the Westfield Mall is a two minute walk from the motel. That simply is not the case. You will need to drive all the way around the track to get to the upscale mall.....well over a mile away.

Still, the hotel is very convenient for plans at Santa Anita. The street side of the motel faces Santa Anita and the backside gives you a mountain view. If you have mobility issues, the motel is two stories with no elevator, you will need a first floor room. The staff was a plus, in my opinion. The front desk clerks were always friendly and helpful. We got a free early check-in and a late check-out. The staff graciously refrigerated my medication during the stay. There was fresh, hot coffee in the lobby each morning.

Housekeeping was a real highlight. Each day we would come back to a very clean room with beds made perfectly. The housekeepers take pride in their work and we appreciated their efforts. The grounds were kept up nice and the premises were clean. The beds were comfortable and there was a good selection of channels on the mounted flat screen TV.

The water pressure was a little low in the shower, but plenty of hot water. The water saver on the sink is just obnoxious. It takes you about 20 seconds to fill up an 8 ounce cup. Still, the room was clean and comfortable, which was our ultimate goal. The ice machine went out for two days of our stay and the front desk tried to import enough ice for the guests, which helped. It appears that the hotel guests and maybe a few trespassers continually loaded up ice chests for their day at the race track and overwhelmed the machine. It was fixed within 48 hours.

The motel has a really poor system of maintaining non-smoking rooms. We had a non-smoking room that had a moderate smell of smoke. We reported that to the front desk so that we would not be charged a cleaning fee for smoking in the room. We learned that there is no penalty for smokers smoking in a non-smoking room. Of course, this effectively makes every room a smoking room. The housekeeper tried to deodorize the room, but still it had a smoky smell. The staff offered another non-smoking room, which had the same problem. I wish Motel 6 would try to protect its non-smoking rooms better with a standard $250.00 cleaning fee if evidence of smoke is found in the room.

Also, the motel provides no shampoo, no conditioner, no hairdryer (although the front desk has loaners), no iron or ironing board, no refrigerator, no microwave, no clock and no coffee pot. The vending machines downstairs were old and did not accept our dollars. No convenience stores or grocery stores are within a couple of miles. Peppers Mexican Grill is about 300 yards down the road, but was pricey and not very good.

If you drive a couple of miles into the heart of town, you will find many good restaurants and a Ralph's grocery store. We could not get the $3.00 per day wi-fi to connect, so we just used our regular 4G Internet service on our cell phones.. We typically prefer hotels over motels and may only stay at a Motel 6 in the future if the location really matters. If the Breeders' Cup returns to Santa Anita, this motel will likely be where we stay.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are a little bigger than the interior rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TexasLover

Reviewed 26 October 2016

I had stayed here once about 10 years ago (Arcadia is my home town but I haven't lived there in many, many years). The room itself was quite nice. However, I found myself in a smoking room which is not what I wished for. I don't know if I missed this on the Motel 6 website. The wash cloth had holes in it. I would have liked some shampoo and an alarm clock. The landscaping could use more attention. $90+ seems high but the fancier chains were much more.

Room Tip: Check the smoking option.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank garyvc
Reviewed 25 August 2016

Helpful and attentive staff, clean room with all the essentials, nice view of the mountains, cable TV, free local & 800 calls. Across the street from the Santa Anita Racetrack. Close by to golf course, restaurants, Rod's Diner, LA County Arboretum, Highways, Metro Gold Line, bus lines.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the mountains, otherwise rooms face the racetrack parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

A very pleasant stay more than I expected for. After years never stay at motel chain, came my last stay at Motel6 Arcadia/Pasadena would become a fantastic with decent rate & good location. Room is decent & clean. Quite Santa Anita just across the Santa Anita horse racing. 2 mins walk to Westfield Santa Anita Mall. Worth the money & will definitely recommend for.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2016

I have been staying at Motel 6s since the 1960s (when it was $6 night) and rate the newest round of renovatioms as very well done. However, my last stay at the Arcadia facility was so miserable I canceelled my second night.

First of all, I was put in a room apparently designed for disabled people. There was only a bare sink, no counter, in the bathroom so I had my toiletries on the tub rim, the shower seat, the toilet top, etc. Moreover, the only place to hang clothes was an open structure under the TV that was too short to hold anything but shirts and jakets. I ended up hanging my long pants and dress from the shower curtain rings! You can see a photo of the sink and clothes hanging thing in the photo section.

Then I realized The new TVs are back to back on the wall and my next door "neighbor" had theirs at full volume with some sort of blasting bombing movie. It sounded like it was in the same room. I finally fell aslep after midnight but was awaken at 3 by more loud TV. At 3:30 I pounded on the wall and the volumn was lowered a barely discernible amount. At 5, I called the desk and again, it was lowered a tiny bit. I gave up at 6 and got up with only three hours sleep. I cancelled my reservation for the next night and left for a memorial service for a close family member, exhausted and disgusted.

What should be done:
No. 1. If the only room left when I made the reservation a week before was a disabled room, I should have been advised about it's limitations.
No. 2. There needs to be some really heavy sound insulation between the TV walls or else bluetooth headsets available for rent by people intending to have an all-nighter, and enforce their use after 10:00 p.m.

Room Tip: Get discription by phone.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank sapo2016
6Team, Brand Experience Team Member at Motel 6 Los Angeles - Arcadia / Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay due to the inconveniences you experienced. We strive to provide a comfortable night's rest, and are disappointed your stay was unsatisfactory due to the noise concerns you describe. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your stay to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.