“Great Expedition Experience with great Views and Entertainment. 5 out of 5 stars!”

Cape Canyon Expedition
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience Santa Catalina Island’s “outback” in a comfortable, open air, H1 Hummer powered by biofuel. With spectacular views, wild habitats and educational displays, this is truly a unique tour.This tour ventures through scenic Middle Ranch Canyon and explores Cape Canyon in the heart of Catalina's interior. You’ll see the Middle Ranch habitats of the American Bald Eagle and Catalina Island Fox. Then it’s off to the scenic Little Harbor overlook on the windward side of the island for spectacular views. You'll travel to the Airport in the Sky, 1600 feet above sea level where you will enjoy a complimentary lunch and visit the Conservancy Nature Center’s educational displays.
Reviewed 1 March 2016

Me, my cousin and my uncle went to this amazing tour. A HUGE KUDOS to Cindy Lowe, who was the tour guide yesterday, 2/28/16. She entertained us with songs, funny jokes, movie trivia and history of Catalina. She knows her stuff really well. We were able to see a group of American Bison up and close, a few species of plants (like cactus and shrubs), birds and a squeaking squirrel. Didn't get to see any foxes as Cindy said they mostly sleep during the day and hunt at night. Some parts of the dirt road are bumpy and scary, but Cindy assured us that we're safe. We also had a chance to get off the hummer to experience the waters to one of the beaches (sorry I forgot the name of the beach, but the water and the breeze was so refreshing). The view was magnificent (or even better) than the one I usually go to in La Jolla, CA. We were also able to stop by at the Catalina Airport and the Eagle Sanctuary, which adds a bonus points to the trip. I had a chance to taste the Buffalo chile, and it was the BEST one I've EVER tasted! Overall, I had a great time with Cindy for this fun-filled tour. I highly recommend this trip to everyone who likes to travel in the open in a hummer with great entertainment! Once again, KUDOS to Cindy!

2  Thank Ben S
"foxes"
"blast"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 25 February 2016

Came for the 4-hr excursion. Except for the scenery when you were at the top, and below, when you were on the sea shore, there's really not much to see except dry grass, few trees, some burnt area after a forest fire, saw one bison, and that's it. What is certainly thrilling is riding the rugged terrain, where you need to hold on to your seat, and make sure your seatbelt is on. Across some narrow dirt road, you would literally feel that you are jumping up, down or even off the road. It's like having a rough massage on your butt, legs and back. The experience would be good for a lifetime. Except perhaps when there is more to see in the mountains of Catalina Island, going once to the island is good enough for me.

1  Thank nansrv
Reviewed 17 February 2016 via mobile

We had an amazing time. Great food at the airport. Charles was our driver and was very knowledgeable about our surroundings and the wildlife and plants. Saw a bald eagle up close and some of the best views ever. Highly recommended

2  Thank bullet45
Reviewed 21 September 2015

A friend of mine recommended this tour and I'm glad I listened! The Hummer was actually much more comfortable than I thought it would be. The seats had good padding on them. We were on the middle row. If you sit on the outside seat, like I did, you will be over the tire and will have to keep your feet up the whole time. I'm short so it was no big deal but I could see it being uncomfortable for a taller person. I don't know if it was because I was sitting over the tire or not, but it was a much smoother ride than I was expecting. We were on mainly hard packed dirt roads. We did have a few times when we were on bumpier roads but it was never uncomfortable.

Our driver, Charles, was great! The sound system was very good and we could understand him easily. He told us all about the island and was very interesting. He was very good about making sure we had enough time to take pictures. Every time he stopped, he would ask us if we got our shot before he would go. He would also stop if anyone requested him to and we did.

There were quite a few scenic stops on this tour. We saw lots of bison--some even walked right past our Hummer! We stopped at a beautiful beach and had enough time to go down to the beach if we chose to. We also stopped at an eagle conservatory and saw a bald eagle and a golden eagle. We stopped for lunch at the airport in the sky. I got a burger and it was very good.

I wasn't sure if a four hour tour would be too long but it went by pretty fast. We were so impressed that we wound up taking the East End two hour tour with the same guide right after the one. Unfortunately, that one was not as good--not as many scenic viewpoints. I highly recommend this one if you have to choose.

1  Thank Julie H