“Cape Canyon Expedition”

Cape Canyon Expedition
Ranked #11 of 40 Outdoor Activities in Avalon
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience Santa Catalina Island’s “outback” in a comfortable, open air, H1 Hummer powered by biofuel. With spectacular views, wild habitats and educational displays, this is truly a unique tour.This tour ventures through scenic Middle Ranch Canyon and explores Cape Canyon in the heart of Catalina's interior. You’ll see the Middle Ranch habitats of the American Bald Eagle and Catalina Island Fox. Then it’s off to the scenic Little Harbor overlook on the windward side of the island for spectacular views. You'll travel to the Airport in the Sky, 1600 feet above sea level where you will enjoy a complimentary lunch and visit the Conservancy Nature Center’s educational displays.
Reviewed 31 December 2016

Our guide was 'Bear' and AZ White Mountains Indian. He was very informative and knew his stuff! Exactly the right guy to lead a tour like this. At times it was a very narrow rough road but the hummer did it with ease. You will be hanging on a lot so don't plan on taking to many pictures whilst driving along! The vehicle has blankets if it is cold but if it rains it is open and you will get wet. They have a step they put out to help getting into the vehicle. It is also very dusty on the roads / tracks so don't come dressed up. We made several stops including a lunch stop at the airport where you can eat buffalo (very good). There is a Port-o-let at the Shark Harbor stop and a normal toilet at the airport - nothing at the 'Eagles Cage'. We saw Buffalo several times, a Catalina Fox, an Eagle and many beautiful parts of the island you can't see any other way! It wasn't a cheap activity but it was really 4.5 hours and we bought the day pass to include other Avalon based activities so it made it better. I can definantely recommend this tour to you. I might even do it again myself sometime!!

Reviewed 31 October 2016

This Hummer tour led by Charles was amazing. Despite the rain and a few clouds along the way we were able to experience the Island from a variety of perspectives. Our guide Charles knew the area well since he has lived here for eight years and was able to provide history and interesting anecdotes about the islands along with a few jokes to keep us entertained. We had lunch at the Airport in the Sky before returning to town. I am not always a fan of these trips but I loved this one! I would love to do it again on my next trip.

Reviewed 21 June 2016

We did this tour and it was a highlight of our trip. Our guide was Cindy Lowe and she was really great. Lots of extra sites, quick stops to see flora and fauna and she even sang us some jazz tunes. Cindy was also very knowledgable, a good driver (which you will appreciate on some of the off-road downhills), she had a great sense of humor and she was very friendly and kind. We saw remote beaches, old bunkers, lots of buffalo, a fox, an eagle and lots of beautiful scenery. The tour was about four and half hours with lunch at the airport and I would very much recommend this tour.

1  Thank BinkNM
Reviewed 3 June 2016

4.5 hours on this tour that took you to areas you never thought you would experience. I was hanging on for dear life a few times. The Hummer takes you on very high and narrow passages that are not for the faint of heart. The scenery is outstanding and we saw bison and the famous Catalina Fox which will still your lunch in a heartbeat given the opportunity. Our tour guide was Tony and he was informative and outstanding in his knowledge and engagement with all of us. Would recommend but if you have a fear of heights this is not for you.

1  Thank Greg P
Reviewed 14 May 2016

We took the tour with Bear, unfortunately the weather once we got out of Avalon never cleared up. It was completely fogged in for the majority of the trip, and rained at the top of the mountain. Although we were dressed for the bad weather, most on the trip were not. I overheard our guide speaking to another guide at the airport saying, it was really bad. My thought is, if he knew it was that bad, why not cut it short and refund for a partial trip. We couldn't see 90 percent of the time, and certainly wasn't worth the money spent.

1  Thank sandrajd16