“Best Trail in Central Florida”
Review of West Orange Trail

West Orange Trail
Ranked #2 of 22 things to do in Apopka
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Enough said?
Rails to Trails. Mostly wooded and away from roads. No major road crossings. Trail goes right down the street median of Winter Garden where there are bike shops, restaurants, coffee shops, and a Farmer's Market on Saturday.
What's not to like?

"old florida"
"killarney"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed 4 January 2018

My husband and I are frequent visitors to central Florida. We finally decided to rent road bikes and bike the West Orange Trail and the Lake Trail. Wow! I was very impressed with this trail system. Unfortunately a small section of the West Orange Trail was still closed from the hurricane when we visited in October. Despite that, we managed to get around the obstructed area and really enjoy the trail. My favorite trail was actually the lake trail which started about 5 miles outside of Winter Garden and headed to Clermont. When the bike shop owner told us there would be hills on the trail, I secretly chuckled to myself thinking he had to be crazy. But guess what - there were hills on the lake trail. Not steep hills, but just some gradual rollers. It was so scenic and I couldn't believe I was actually in Florida. If I lived in the area I would be on that trail every day. I highly recommend using this trail if you are a local or a visitor. We road on a Monday and a Wednesday, so there was very little bike or pedestrian traffic. It was wonderful. I would go back in a heart beat.

Reviewed 14 December 2017

We took the trail from Killarney Station to Winter Garden Station (a round trip of about 10 miles) and were suitably impressed. We hired bikes at Killarney Station which was easy to do and reasonably priced, something I would definitely recommend doing if you're visiting the area and don't have your own bikes with you.

The Orange County Parks & Recreation division (the department responsible for the maintenance and development of the trail) have clearly thought things through, with a multi-purpose trail suitable for walkers, cyclists, joggers and skaters taking visitors through wooded, green-space and residential areas. There are mile markers along the way, so you know how far you've gone (maps are also available at most of the stations) and information boards along the trail provide useful information about the flora and fauna you might see along the way.

Most of the trail is flat which is preferable given the high temperatures this region is known for. There are large sections of the trail which are shaded by overhead tree canopy, but I would recommend a visit earlier in the morning before it gets too hot if you don't like the idea of cycling/walking in the heat! It can also get pretty busy, especially at the weekends, so I would recommend going during the week if you're looking to avoid heavy traffic.

Most of the stations along the trail have amenities (restrooms, vending machines, etc) although we found some of them were closed on the day we went (Sunday). There's lots to see along the way, including some lovely houses, wildlife and quirky commercial buildings featuring some very interesting decorations!

All in all this is a great way to see Florida in a different and unique way and makes a welcome change from the busy theme parks and outlet malls. Well worth a visit if you're looking to take a break from the usual attractions and want something different to do.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Lot's to see and explore - zebra, peacocks and bald eagles nest!
Crowded on a Saturday afternoon, and farmer market is close by.
Best to get there early and ride from Winter Garden towards Apopka.