All reviewsgolf cartsea grassliving room and dining roomambergris cayepier restaurantel divinojetted tubbanyan baythe security guardthree bedroomwasher and dryermaster bedroomfull kitchenmodern kitchenlovely poolfruit standgreat room
Reviewed 18 June 2018

We have stayed - and loved- Grand Colony in 2015 and 2016. Sadly the maintenance on units has gone way down. We stayed in #17 a two bedroom pool side. The blinds in the dining room were broken, the bed left us with backaches, the walls scratched up from the too-big dining chairs and the sofa was ripped up and two living room chairs so uncomfortable. It felt run down and so different from our last visit.

The staff remain lovely, and we noticed they have new bikes. They are working to clear the seaweed but it is beyond their control and affecting many places. To avoid it stay on the bay side of the island or at a resort like Ramon’s which dedicates more workers to removal.

We ended up leaving Grand Colony three nights early to stay in another location which was better maintained. Unfortunately they have a no refund policy, even though staff didn’t offer to have us switch condos. We lost hundreds of dollars.

Our favorite “home away from home” is gone.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank NadaKathy
BBay_GColony, Director of Sales at Grand Colony Island Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Thanks for choosing to stay with us! Sorry to hear that the standard of our villas did not meet your expectation as it did back in 2015-2016.
We do have a cancellation policy, and the reason a room change was not offered is because we were booked for your travel dates. Our reservations team did reach out to you and made efforts to compromise with you.

Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

My family really enjoyed Grand Colony Resort. Our 3 bedroom Ocean Front unit was very nice and clean throughout. The staff were very helpful and polite. They went out of their way to accommodate us with our luggage to the hotel and room from the pier next door at a sister resort. The pool area was clean and beautifully landscaped. The location itself was fairly close to any amenities you would need. Our only regret is the seaweed/Kelp that washed up on the shore. The first two/ three days it wasn’t so bad but the last 3 were terrible. They worked hard each day to remove it but it’s impossible. If you are looking for a beach to lay on Ambergris Caye is not the place. The whole windward side of San Pedro has the same problem with seaweed and kelp. The north end is not as bad but it’s really isolated. Our last day was spent looking at other resorts to possibly stay at on our next trip. All of them have seaweed on the shore. With that said I would not hesitate to stay at Grand Colony again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
BBay_GColony, Director of Sales at Grand Colony Island Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Thanks for sharing and choosing to stay with us. As mentioned before the sea grass issue has indeed placed a damper on us but we are hopeful that it will be cleared up soon. Thanks once again for sharing.

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Do not go to this place! The beach is inaccessible because of sea grass. It also smells horrible. Would never have booked her had I known this. Paid top dollar for a totally ruined vacation.
The facility is nice and the staff is nice but this is not for beach people. They have apologized here but there is nothing anyone can do. It is what it is. The tell us to go to the pool and that’s fine but I did not leave the country to go a poll. I’m holding nothing agains this hard working staff just think people need to know about this.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amyjsloan

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It's key to note that the beach situation its not only affecting us but the entire island, allow me to offer my sincere apologizes for this. We are hopeful that in the coming weeks our beach area will be cleared up.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

Stay at Grandy Colony, Belize
THE GOOD: Housekeeping is wonderful! The hotel is very clean and the pool is very well maintained with beautiful flowers and Plumeria (my favorite) surrounding the pool area.
The kitchen is excellent and has everything from a corkscrew to an electronic can opener and they even provided dish soap and napkins. All the appliances are top of the line. The ice maker kept getting jammed but that was the least of inconveniences. The air condition and amazingly large ceiling fans provided great comfort from the very humid air. The stackable washer and dryer are so convenient!
There area few nearby dining options within walking distance and room service from the sister hotel next door was fabulous and well-priced.
THE BAD: There is not a beach front area that is accessible at all!!! The sea grass is not cleaned up and overwhelming - the smell was pretty terrible. The smell even reached the inside of the rooms. It was a “fishy” smell which I realize we are close to the water, but I have stayed in other Caribbean places that did not have this problem. There is not a dock or a hot tub either to circumvent losing access to the beach.
Also, I am not sure if the place has a bad reputation or if it like an off season during our stay, but it seemed rather deserted. I mean I liked the tranquility, but it would have been nice to have some social interactions. They are VERY strict about bringing any visitors after visiting hours which I think is 10 PM.
THE UGLY: In the bathroom that is not in master bathroom the step to get in and out is steep and very slippery without a handle.
The office staff is unprofessional and not properly trained. We set up excursions and were not given proper instructions or information. It is like pulling teeth to get any information or correct information from the office staff about anything it seems. I asked for the manager on so many occasions and did not get help or a chance to voice my grievances. On the last day we were sent to the wrong airport in the cab by the office personnel after the cab driver called and asked if she was sure that she got the correct airport--she didn’t check and ended up sending us to the wrong local airport. The airports are right next to each other, but after unloading our luggage and the cab driver leaving we realized they did not have us booked and the booking number was for the other airport. We ended up losing about $60.00 leaving from this airport. Again, something that could have easily been prevented.
I left my portable speaker at the pool area one night and when I went to retrieve it the next morning I was told by a security officer that it was found and placed in a bicycle rack and then none of the staff could locate it. After calling and going by the security and office multiple times I gave up. I did not have my speaker returned so this tells me that one of the staff must have stolen it as the place was deserted besides staff most of the time. Until this day I have not received one single call back or any information from anyone about my portable speaker. I never thought I would have to worry about the staff stealing items, but I will take it as a lesson learned.
RECOMMENDATION: For the price of the place you can find something more accommodating in Beautiful San Pedro, Belize!! Do not waste your money and also worry about the staff being unhelpful and not returning your lost belongings. DO NOT STAY HERE.
April 25-30, 2018

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kim B

Thanks for choosing to stay with us Kim. Rest assured that your complaints have been addressed and has been passed along to management. Kindly allow me to apologize for the mishap, these occurrences should not have happened. Again I must apologize for the loss of your speaker as well. We do however take keen precautions when it comes to security, for your own safety and safety of our other guest.

Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

They have some nice rooms. Beach is filled with stinky seagrass that they do not spend any time cleaning (like some hotels close by). To be fair it's usually not stinky. Great room cleanup and presentation. Folded towel animals, flowers etc.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends

Thanks for sharing. Do note that we do have our guys are working in clearing the beach areas but the influx is great compared to the amount of seagrass taken out. It's a work in progress.