1,086 results
All reviewsred gingerchocolate tastingin towngolf cartambergris cayecell phonefull kitchenpool staffbottle of rumfront desk stafflaundry detergentpool barhuge balconywrap around balconydinner reservationsevery amenitybedroom suite
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We came to the Phoenix after reading the reviews here on tripadvisor, and it has a excellent rating for a reason!!! This place was amazing!!! From the moment we stepped in the door, tired after a day of traveling, I was introduced to a drink that I came to adore for the entire trip...The Fruit Punch!! Ricardo at the pool bar knew exactly what I needed when I asked daily for my favorite!! The staff was fun, friendly and always available.
I had the opportunity to experience things I had never done before nor seen. The Phoenix was wonderful as far as booking tours and getting things arranged and with all they recommended, there was no disappoint.
Our first trip was to Lamanai Mayan Ruins with Nate our tour guide. He was wonderful and made the best stewed chicken with beans and rice I have ever had!! What I appreciated most about all of the Belizean people I had the chance to spend time with was their love and respect for their country.
As we walked the Mayan ruins, it was very important that we made memories with pictures and our minds..not to touch or take.
Nate was an incredible guide, I learned so much and gained a great interest in Mayan culture.
Our second big excursion was with Lil Alphonse for snorkeling. I have never been snorkeling before-was a bit nervous-but with Alphonse and Russell, it was an incredible experience.
We saw everything!!! All sorts of different fish, eels, coral of all sorts, nurse sharks, stingrays, sea turtles and on the way back to the dock-a pod of dolphins, we were able to see a mother and her baby!! Alphonse is another local belizean who has a passion for what he does, enjoys sharing with others and asks again to respect the environment we encountered.
He was there to educate, teach and have a good time.
We spent the rest of our days taking advantage of the hotel and exploring the town; which I found to be very safe.. I was a bit skeptical...but it did not take long to fall in love with the locals. I enjoyed their carefree sense of mind...they are truly happy in all that they do and are happy to share it with you.
My favorite place to eat was Warmagumas for their burritos...oh my, I have never had a burrito that tasted that good in the states!!! A must do.
Much thanks to the staff at The Phoenix for being so attentive and caring, helpful and so kind. I can not wait until we return someday...and when we do...we know where we will be staying.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have a view of the sea....I have no complaints...I woke up every morning, walked to the back door and had breakfast overlooking the pool and ocean.....I will miss the mornings and early evenings the most.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Catherine Roman... L
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I can't say enough about how wonderful both of our stays have been at The Phoenix. We first visited The Phoenix in January of 2011 for vacation. We were recently engaged and had chosen another country for our destination wedding. After our stay at The Phoenix we were so impressed we decided to change wedding locations and actually get married on Ambergris Caye at The Phoenix.

I'll spare the details of the 11 or so months of planning with Stacey and Mark, but I will tell you they made our lives incredibly easy. They were both so professional and all around amazing.

We had around 80 guests with us and I can't count how many times during our stay and after we've been told how amazing everyone's experience was, how great the staff was, how awesome the rooms are, etc.

Back to the overall experience. The service here is unparalleled. The hotel - namely Stacey, Mark and the front desk staff - will take care of any and everything you need. From reservations at restaurants and golf cart rentals, to planning your entire day of fishing or catamaran excursions, trips to the mainland, etc. I don't know about you, but when you're on vacation it is so nice to have staff willing (and capable) of taking care of your plans so you can sit back and relax. They're fantastic - and spot on - with recommending local places and restaurants too.

We were always greeted by name with a smile and a "how are you today?" The gardeners are even friendly. The resort grounds are incredibly well manicured and downright beautiful, so wandering around from room to pool to the Red Ginger puts you in a good mood in and of itself. There is a security guard at the beach entrance 24 hours a day, so you feel completely safe -- not that the surrounding area makes anything unsafe, but it's a nice added bonus when you're in another country.

The rooms are probably the biggest surprise. They're HUGE. Most are 2-bedroom suites, with a few 1- and 3-bedrooms suits. They are beautifully and well furnished, down to a wine opener and great lounge furniture on the patio. Rooms and bathrooms are huge, living area is huge, and having a huge balcony overlooking that Caribbean ocean can't be beat. Have I mentioned the suites are huge?

Housekeeping comes daily and they are super friendly and professional. They do a fantastic and quick job and are never in your way, so you always come into a clean and tidy room that looks as if you've never been in it. There are large safes in the room for those wanting a little more security for belongings.

The restaurant Red Ginger and spa Sol Spa were both equally as impressive. Having eaten at Red Ginger 10+ times over both stays I never had a bad dish. The food and service are both fantastic. Kelly, the owner and Aaron, the manager with the Red Ginger go out of their way to make the experience a great one.

Carrie at Sol Spa will bend over backwards to accomodate your schedule, and she and the entire staff are so so personable. The spa is beautiful, relaxing and everyone is super professional. I've had several massages, facials and mani/pedis and each was awesome.

I could go on and on... We've left -- and our guests have left -- having the best experience of most of our lives, thanks to The Phoenix. We're turning this into an annual trip and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else in Belize. Please go and enjoy! Stacey, Mark, Gabriela, Pam, Rose, Danny, Ted, and Maurice... We miss you guys already but we'll see you soon!

Room Tip: Every room has a fantastic view of the Caribbean. Some of the 2nd and 3rd floor balconies are larger and the beachfront rooms have larger balconies.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edg80
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This was our second trip to the Phoenix (5/5 previous review), so we knew what to expect. However, this time we brought 80 of our friends and family with us for our wedding. I have to say that the whole crew at the Phoenix really blew us away with their attention to detail and the effortless way in which they know how to take care of their guests. Being the wedding couple, they went far out of their way to make sure our wedding was a vacation rather than work, and we appreciated that greatly. Stace, Mark, and the whole crew bent over backwards for us, and it would be tough to imagine a better experience.

Every review talks about the service. The front desk staff are wonderful and take the initiative to solve problems so their guests don't have to. Run out of cell minutes on the local cell phones provided to you, but too busy having fun? They've got that. Need to move a spa appointment? They have that too. Dinner reservations? Easy. Want to take a boat out? They know the best. After being there for a week they felt like family. They know your name when you walk in the door and say it when you're leaving.

The rooms are very nicely appointed and the beds are more comfortable than the bed I have at my house. I sleep better here than I do anywhere else in the world. They're meticulously cleaned by the small army of people employed by the resort. The floorplans and generous size make it easy to share rooms in the 2 bedroom suites without tripping over the other person or couple.

We love the location because unlike a lot of other resorts on the island, this one is right in the middle of town. The really nice thing is that the resort is designed so when you're it doesn't feel or sound like you're in the middle of town, but when you want the town it's right there through the door. The buildings serve as a sound barrier to the town so when you're sitting by the pool you can't hear anything but the water. It gives us our perfect combination of exploring the town on foot and relaxing at the resort.

We had an active, energetic, and (frankly) high-maintence group with us and we received so many compliements from our group on our choice of the Phoenix. At least two dozen guests are already planning return trips.

I can't recommend the Phoenix strongly enough. They were great when we were there with 8 people and great when we were there with 80. I bet they'll be great for you as well.

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms have incredible views, but our personal favorite was A2 with it's massive wrap-around balcony and incredible wood-carvings.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We came to the Phoenix as part of our Honeymoon. We arrived after 5 days on mainland Belize having travelled all the way from Ireland. We walked through the door and we were looked after from that moment until the minute we boarded the plane for home...

We weren't into the trips/excursions having spent time on the mainland. We used our 10 days to relax and unwind...and boy did we do that! Lying by the pool, enjoying the poolside bar...

The room was wonderful...so much space...lovely stuff...always well maintained, service was always excellent.

The highlight was always Red Ginger! There are many restuarants on San Pedro who want your custom. None come close to Red Ginger. None! The braised ribs are to die for! My mouth waters now as i speak of it. Great service. And it was very handy having the best restaurant in town at the bottom of your stairs! (Caliente is also very good but nothing beats Red Ginger)

Overall, incredible honeymoon thanks to the Phoenix...thank you so much...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We just got back from staying at The Phoenix for a week for our honeymoon. We had picked The Phoenix because of all the reviews, so we had high expectations going in, but The Phoenix went above and beyond them all. The staff was amazing, the rooms were beautiful, the views were breath taking. First of all I would just like to thank the staff. They took care of all our reservations. Their check out time is 11, but since they had booked our plane off the island they noticed we were leaving later in the afternoon, so they automatically extended our check out time, without us even asking for it. We just got a note on our room the day before check out, notifying us of the extended time and letting us know when they would be there to help us with our bags. Everyone was so friendly, helpful and knowledgeable – it was truly paradise. Read the other reviews, as long as they agree that they are amazing – they’re true! For those wondering about San Pedro itself, it was the perfect location for a honeymoon. You could relax and stay in the resort or there were so many activities to do, on land or sea. Couldn’t have asked for more, and it all started with the friendly greeting and rum punch at The Phoniex!

Room Tip: We got one with a sea view. It was beautiful waking up every morning to it, but I doubt there is a bad room there!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple