“Luxury Plus a Birthday cake”
Review of The Phoenix Resort

The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Our stay in Jan 2012 covered my husbands birthday which i had casually mentioned at front desk while asking for assistance with dinner reservations at boat accessed Portofino. On our return after dinner, we found the most amazing chocolate torte in our kitchen with a birthday card from the staff.
We had a 2 bedroom each with a private bath. The rooms are big and the bedding is luxurious. The pool is grande and the bartenders are accommodating with umbrellas (in your drink and beside your chair!), fresh towels and wonderful margs and mojitos.
I can't wait to go back! The most convenient location. We hardly ever needed the golf cart.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank goodhood

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I think I helped make this number one Hotel in the world.. The experience is probably the best I have had. They can not do enough for you.. Hate to write this as my husband has written about them and now it is hard to get in. But I really feel that no other hotel I have been to.. is like this. and I travel a lot. They will go out of their way to make you feel special. Decorate your room on Valentines day come around as well and give you cup cakes.. The Staff are happy here everyone loves their job and it shows. They know your name and make sure to get you anything you desire.. This is number 1 for facility, staff, location and all the stuff in between. I will not stay at another place and have been here many many times since discovering it..

Room Tip: by the pool
1  Thank kolby1
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Yup, and it was delicious. Developing countries can leave you wanting in the customer service department, but Stacey and crew have raised the bar on Ambergris Caye. This is our second time staying at the Phoenix and 6th time in San Pedro. We have tried Victoria House, Mata Chica, and Belize Legacy Resort. All were away from town which has some advantages if you want to be away from things. These condos are spacious, modern, temperature controlled, and beautiful. The Phoenix condos have well appointed interiors with modern/Western appliances (somewhat rare in Belize). The staff at the Phoenix are responsive, conscientious, and make efforts to learn your name as quickly as possible. The hotel restaurant is called Red Ginger. It is eclectic, local, and creative. They have wonderful seafood and non-seafood options. If you want something cheaper, their are lots of "hole-in-the-wall" spots in town. The front desk provides better concierge service than many 4 and 5 star hotels. Their recommendations on side-trips and their willingness to take care of the details is impressive.
We come to San Pedro for diving/snorkeling, relaxinging by the pool, eating good food, and the occasional sidetrip (ruins, fly-fishing, Blue Hole, etc). This time we brought our 2 kids age 10 and 16, and one of our aunts. Despite a range of interests and ages we all had a great time at the Phoenix.
We LOVE that the cruise ships can't get their people here due to the reef. Their are certain people that will be very happy on Ambergris Caye. Among those people, I think this is your best option right now.

Room Tip: We've stayed on the 2nd and 3rd floor. Both are just fine. If you don't like stairs, stay on...
2  Thank divelovers
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Phoenix for 5 days in the middle of February 2012. I rank the service equal to that of the Four Seasons in Costa Rica which was another great experience that we had last spring. The staff was unbelievable! Stacey Chesnick the manager helped me from my initial inquiry through our departure. She was one of the most service oriented friendly people I have ever met. Upon my daughters departure without a prompt from myself she set up a driver to meet my daughter at the water taxi and made sure she got to the main airport in Belize City. In fact she gave her a complimentary cell phone which the driver brought back to insure she made the connection to the airport, including one last check-in call with her before her flight. This was true beginning to end service with a very personal touch.
Thanks again,

John and Lindsey Cochran

1  Thank John C
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I've stayed at the Phoenix twice in the last two years and each time longer than 4 days.

These condos are great if you want all the modern comforts of home while away. They really try to think of everything to make your stay pleasant. For example;

Each condo has a full kitchen so you can save a bit of money cooking meals and doing your own laundry (stackable washer/dryer in the room). They give you laundry detergent too. There's also enough plates and cookware so you can actually cook for a big family. Coffee, Tea, suger, etc.

WIFI in the rooms are the fastest in Belize that I have found.

Easy to use Flatscreen TV's with laptop hookup capability. I hooked up my PS3 to the TV. They also have a DVD player and lots of cable channels. They also have a TV in every bedroom which is great if you are staying in one of their 2 or 3 bedroom condos.

Clean filtered water for drinking/cooking.

Aveda bath products. They even provide Aveda hair conditioner so you don't have to bring travel items from home.

Ceiling fans in every room so you don't have to use the A/C if you don't want to. Also, the A/C is central air and not loud at all.

Very, very comfortable beds with nice cotton sheets and down comforters. Lots of fluffy towels in the room and outside by the pool area.

LED flashlight in the hallway for evening strolls.

Golf Cart rentals onsite

Free transfer from the airport to the condo.

I know a condo setting is not for everyone. It doesn't have that Belize tropical vibe you would find at places like Mata Chica or Rojo Lounge or even Victoria House. The location and staff can't be beat though. Be careful if you want to stay on a higher floor. They have installed handrails on their stairs but they are still pretty steep and slippery when wet for children and older adults. I would not recommend any high floors for small children because of the numerous stairs and large outdoor patios.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple